Which endings are considered canonical?

vld

While waiting for G4 on Windows i`m thinking about going through first 3 games in order to better understand world of Geneforge. I have heard that there are different endings in each game depening on which factions you ally with. So which endings in each game are considered to be canonical?

And yes, i`m not afraid of spoilers.

You asked for it.

It seems for Geneforge 1 and 2 the loyalist Shaper endings are canonical. Sucia Island was invaded by the Shapers and they cleaned up the mess there. Unfortunatly, some of the mess made it to Drypeak where the Shapers invaded again and tried to end the problems there. Still more mess (Ghaldring) escaped to Ashen Islands, and Geneforge 3 seems to have gone with the Rebel ending, as the Rebellion owns the Ashen Islands in Geneforge 4 and Litalia and Akhari Blaze still live while Lord Rahul apparently got killed in battle.

So the answer is: Obeyers for Geneforge 1, Loyalists for Geneforge 2, and Rebels for Geneforge 3.

But really you should play all the games though as every faction at least once for the full experience.

There are quite a few, but sometimes you can experience multiple endings with the same game file by making slightly different choices very near the end. E.g. in GF1 you can have nearly all the endings by saving just before you talk to Trajkov at the Geneforge (assuming you have already fetched the gloves). In GF2 you can complete the game as Awakened, then defect to the Obeyers and win again, then kill Zakary to get the unaligned ending.

There are tons of endings. What faction you play determines most of the ending. So, you could say Geneforge 1 has 3 main endings, Geneforge 2 has 4, and Geneforge 3 has 2, but that doesn't account for other possibilities. Such possibilities include major decisions you make, like in Geneforge 1 with the geneforge, or in Geneforge 4 with the Unbound. Then there are canisters, whether or not you use a lot of them will effect the ending. There are also minor decisions such as killing certain characters that can effect the ending, such as Zachary and Barzahl. But then there are the failure endings, in which you end the game without completing major quests or betray your own faction. Those are always fun.

In G1, what you do with the Geneforge (and Trajkov and Goettsch) is actually the major determiner of the ending you get; what sect you joined, if any, can cause significant changes but you stay within the same branch.

G2 and G3 are both very straightforward. G2 has 4 or 5 endings, depending on whether or not you count Aodare's ending the same as Zakary's. You probably should. G3 has 2 endings.

G4 is a bit like G1. Although there are 3 possible endings as far as the fate of the world goes, each one has pretty big variations in what the PC's fate is, based on things other than the Unbound.

i have played G1,2 g1 was very original and there was self rightous rouges but the power in G1 was too much wasn't controled. in my windows version i got up to almost full strength on a thahd and had like 9 nine thahd and one fyora in the LIMITED version when i look at g2 and father there wasn't as much power or essennce you could get as in 1.

G2 was neat in graphics etc and litte bit more control in genforge because brhzorl (sp?) and zacory (sp?) sorry but names too crazy they took almost all the power and there was about 3 sect to join 1 is lenner pinner the oldest server and the other two i just named it waas power forces though lot of rouges