What is better Shapers or Rebels?

As for me, I'm careful not to push my luck with the Administration, especially after having been warned by them.

Quote:
Originally written by Lepus timidus:

I'm very careful not to repeat the same assertions ad nauseum, especially when they have been soundly refuted.

*stares, dumbfounded, then breaks into raucous laughter*

...are you kidding me?! Your entire debate has practically been how Shapers are evil, heartless Nazis and how the Rebels are saintly heroes forced to do evil by the bad guys, repeated over and over and over, despite evidence and good sense to the contrary, with a side of how Outsiders are the equivalent of Nazi supporters. Then you claim that you don't repeat the same assertions constantly, even when soundly refuted? Ha! And I thought the Rebels were hypocrites! laugh

FYI, regarding your little jab at me, you simply disagreeing with me does not make the argument 'soundly refuted', no matter how much you say otherwise. At best, it makes it contested.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
*stares, dumbfounded, then breaks into raucous laughter*

...are you kidding me?! Your entire debate has practically been how Shapers are evil, heartless Nazis and how the Rebels are saintly heroes forced to do evil by the bad guys, repeated over and over and over, despite evidence and good sense to the contrary, with a side of how Outsiders are the equivalent of Nazi supporters. Then you claim that you don't repeat the same assertions constantly, even when soundly refuted? Ha! And I thought the Rebels were hypocrites!

FYI, regarding your little jab at me, you simply disagreeing with me does not make the argument 'soundly refuted', no matter how much you say otherwise. At best, it makes it contested.
emot-flame.gif
This reminds me of the old topic.... Anyway, I have said my view, happy flaming!

is this thread nothing more than a flame war, people contantly telling everyone else why they are wrong, and proffering a more reasonable opinion, only to be shot down?! I have taken to reading only the very short messages, because they are the only ones worth reading! sheesh, calm down and at least attempt to understand the other person's point of view!

incidentally, if someone would explain how karma works i would appreciate it, i am young and have been on only 1 other board. a...relaxed dungeons and dragons discussion board.

Edit: thanks Kinggolden

Quote:
Originally written by Nioca:
Till the arrival of Lepus Timidus, it was a debate. They happen occasionally, sometimes get heated, but are generally nothing to worry about (unless you're a participant). Heck, you might even learn something.

With the arrival of Lepus Timidus, though, this one turned into a troll fest.
FYT.

Brock Petersdorf-Nelson: Karma is simply a rating system between members. You rate the other person a one through five, and then the average is your karma rating, denotated by the number of stars under your name.

Quote:

Quote:
Till the arrival of Lepus Timidus, it was a debate. They happen occasionally, sometimes get heated, but are generally nothing to worry about (unless you're a participant). Heck, you might even learn something.

With the arrival of Lepus Timidus, though, this one turned into a troll fest.

FYT

Its pretty much true, with Nayld, Nicoa and myself, the last debate topic was a discussion, although LT did troll a little in the last topic, it wasn't this bad, right now Nicoa and LT are just bouncing and rebounding at each other.

Quote:
Originally written by Lepus timidus:
If I'm trolling, why don't you just ignore me, you dumb chits?
Because, unfortunately, someone might actually believe you and/or your ideas.

(That, and I'm always up for a good debate on something I'm knowledgeable about, even if it is against a troll. After all, who makes a better sparring opponent than someone who's just trying to perpetuate a response? :p )

Well, I think as far as the story goes, the Shapers, in as far as even though the government is oppressive at times, they keep the peace, protect the people, and do their best to keep shaping from getting out of hand.

Still... I love the drayks and drakons, they're so much fun to have as your creations, and at the very least, I definitely like the rebel ending of G4 where you end up being a extremely powerful leader and ruler.

Quote:
Originally written by bl00drequiem:
Well, I think as far as the story goes, the Shapers, in as far as even though the government is oppressive at times, they keep the peace, protect the people, and do their best to keep shaping from getting out of hand.

Still... I love the drayks and drakons, they're so much fun to have as your creations, and at the very least, I definitely like the rebel ending of G4 where you end up being a extremely powerful leader and ruler.
People like power, and shapers aren't 100% bad, its just that some members are deluded.

Its a very complicated matter, but when it comes to it I think the rebels are the lesser of two evils. They have a much greater capacity for change. The shapers have been set in their ways for much too long to change them. The rebels may currently be overzealos due to some of the Drakons, but I have faith that their leader will rein them in and that they will see reason. laugh

Quote:
Originally written by The Duke:
Its a very complicated matter, but when it comes to it I think the rebels are the lesser of two evils. They have a much greater capacity for change. The shapers have been set in their ways for much too long to change them. The rebels may currently be overzealos due to some of the Drakons, but I have faith that their leader will rein them in and that they will see reason. laugh
Sorry, but have you finished the rebel endings? Because I see it hard to believe that with the evidence planted in the game. Can you explain your position more?

Quote:
Heh, not so sure about all that, I mean, Ghladring seems perfectly happy with setting loose the unbound and burning the world and murdering millions of innocents.

The way I see it, the Drakons are potentially even worse than the Shapers, because they seem to have absolutely no moral reservations about the wholesale slaughter of anything that isn't a drakon, for the most part (asides from that random Trakovite drakon), and seem to be becoming more and more arrogant with each generation. There really doesn't seem to be anyone to reign them in, as far as we have seen.

I think the rebellion definitely has redeeming factors, namely some of the serviles, the drayks, and the human rebels. However, the drakons definitely dominate the faction.

Now, personally, I would say the Trakovites are the best, simply because Shaping seems WAY to dangerous a power to me. To much playing god :p

But yeah, since the drakons are in control, I maintain that the Shapers are better. A lesser of two evils.

I say right now the Drakons and Shapers are about morally equal. However due the drakons main method of gaining survival/wining/gaining power involves increasing their level of arrogance,insanity and distancing them selfs from the the original rebel values of freedom, to me means the drakons will morally only get worse. The shaper main strategy to win however is to loosen their laws and become more tolerant in some areas to undermine the rebellion will help morally improve them.

In a rebel ending I wouldn't put it pass the shapers to sign treaties with creations that are fed up with the drakons allowing them some creation rights in order to undermine the rebellion.

In summary the longer this war goes on the more tolerant the shapers get and the crazier drakons and their isn't much left of the human side of the rebellion to speak of.

I didn't read every page from start to end, but I'll just put forward my views.

I feel that the Shapers are 'less evil' than the rebels. I agree with how the rebel system works, The drakons, however, seems to have gone past the point of just rebelling. In the process, they have used many canisters, causing them to become rather heartless. IMHO, the rebellion would be better off without them

Killing tons of shapers just isn't my cup of tea, I guess, but killing tons of innocent people is even worse.

~Mel

Quote:
Originally written by Ale193:
To me the shapers are the lesser of the two evils, they're oppressive and i don't think anyone doesn't at least sympathize with the original rebel goals, but if the Shapers are Hitler, than the Rebels are Atila the Hun on crack with a nuclear arsenal.
Nooooo! the inevitable Nazi refrences!!

Quote:
I feel that the Shapers are 'less evil' than the rebels.
You can't generalize like that, there is a difference between the drakon and the human rebellion, heres a example

Human efforts: Illya safehouse
Drakon efforts: Unbound

Quote:
IMHO, the rebellion would be better off without them

Yes and no. Yes to the fact that they would have better morale, but no to the fact that without the drakons, the rebellion is as powerful as the travokites.

Quote:

Yes and no. Yes to the fact that they would have better morale, but no to the fact that without the drakons, the rebellion is as powerful as the travokites.
Agreed, but at least they're not betraying their original beliefs. The rebellion was originally started to overcome the shapers. Now, with the drakons, it seems to me like their goal is changing.

Quote:
Quote:
I feel that the Shapers are 'less evil' than the rebels.
You can't generalize like that, there is a difference between the drakon and the human rebellion, heres a example

Human efforts: Illya safehouse
Drakon efforts: Unbound
True, but the ones who are currently running the rebellion do not seem to be the humans, but the drakons. Therefore, it seems rather wrong to refer to the rebellion as different groups when it is actually the drakons controlling the actions of the human rebels.

~Mel

Heh, at first I ignored completely this thread, but then today I saw it's always at the top of the Geneforge 4 forum, so I looked at only the last page, and I have to laugh.

But still, putting all other stuff behind, don't you realize, that the games are meant to be morally ambigious (i hope i spelled it right), and that that's it. One one hand you have a group that wants freedom and equality, but are willing to do almost anything to acchieve it, and on the other hand you have a group who want to be gods and have all other beings as slaves or worse, but they managed to create a peaceful, although mindless and castlike (i meant to say here, that the society resembles the Indian society with castes), society.

And therefore, since people are (thankfully) not of a single mind, there will always be different views.

Still, it is remarkable how convincing some of you can be in this virtual environment that internet has become. I wonder how many of you take such firm stances in you real lives as well.

Quote:
Originally written by Xel'Raga:
Quote:
Sorry, but have you finished the rebel endings? Because I see it hard to believe that with the evidence planted in the game. Can you explain your position more?
Now THAT is he kind of talking i like seeing! asking if he understands, and saying he disagrees in a gentle and understanding way! Go you!

Quote:
Originally written by brock petersdorf-nelson:
Quote:
Originally written by Xel'Raga:
Quote:
Now THAT is he kind of talking i like seeing! asking if he understands, and saying he disagrees in a gentle and understanding way! Go you!
Oh, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...