Name Cameos in Jeff's Games

Slawbug

On 5/15/2022 at 5:11 PM, You can move now said:

His ex-wife Shirley shows up a few times in this very thread...

I'm not going back through six pages to check for the nods to her, but at least in A3 the Shirley is in the area of the world with a few other Laverne & Shirley characters.

But Shirley's elsewhere/in other games are probably the ex

On 5/16/2022 at 8:17 PM, TriRodent said:

I'm not going back through six pages to check for the nods to her, but at least in A3 the Shirley is in the area of the world with a few other Laverne & Shirley characters.

But Shirley's elsewhere/in other games are probably the ex

You could just go back to the updated initial post that lists the actual cameos.

A3 does actually have a very specific reference to Shirley: Monoroe province is a slight alteration of her last name.  All of the provinces, apparently, were named after Jeff's ex's (plus Mariann, of course).

(Also, I'm not sure whether there are any random Shirley's in other Spiderweb games, but sharing a very common first name is definitely not enough, by itself, to establish a connection.  Everything included in the list has something beyond that, anyway.)

Oh, hey, it occurs to me. Geneforge 1 - Mutagen has a name cameo that I know because I put it in there, thanks Kickstarter. Hiley, the flute-playing servile in the basement of The Tombs, has a number of references to the book *cough* Sudanna, Sudanna in his dialogue, not least of which is his name, shared with a character in said book. His flute, his dorky hat, elements of his backstory, you see what I've done here. Even the ghosts, from a thematic standpoint. Ta-da!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Seems plausible, would love an additional connection:

In Triola (G2) we have

John Maynard Keynes (economist)

JS Mill (philosopher, relevant to economics)

Henri Wald (much less famous, but also a philosopher)

Zyx (literary magazine) per randomizer, this was a backer-suggested name

Suspicious - any thoughts?:

Barzahl means roughly "cash payment" in German - this feels far too appropriate

Shanti means "inner peace" in Sanskrit

Zakary means "remembering/remembered by god" in various languages

New names in G2I -

Kieron Stoff is listed as a backer

Gardner Dozois - I think this is new in G2I? - SF writer, not connected to anything else but plenty of SF writers elsewhere in the series