Avernum 1 2 and 3 speed

b

I'm running the newest versions of the avernum trilogy on a Mac running 10.4.9, and the game speed is ungodly slow, even just moving my party takes a noticable amount of time. Is this something that can be fixed in any ways other than the settings in game, which help a little, but not as much as I'd like?

When the Intel version of Tiger was updated to 10.4.8, something was modified in Rosetta which made the Avernum games terribly slow. Jeff is aware of the problem. Whether or not we will see Universal versions of the Avernum trilogy remains to be seen. In the meantime, the games run fine in emulated Windows under Parallels or VMWare, and you can always run them in a BootCamp partition.

A number of people have had this problem. However, it's not universal ... the games run fine on my Intel Mac. At this point, unless Apple straightens out whatever they did to Rosetta, the only thing that would fix the problem is Universalizing all three games, which would take a considerable amount of time.

So right now, I'm waiting to see what Apple does. Sorry I can't be of more help at this point.

- Jeff Vogel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Given Tyran's known affinity for Apple, I'd conclude he's got an Apple Developer Connection before assuming illegal downloading. Granted, that's rather expensive, but maybe Tyran has deep pockets and a deep appreciation for Leopard.

—Alorael, who wishes he had deep pockets too. Not just for Apple, either.

"Good news! The games run fine in the OS X 10.5 beta (Build 9A499)."

There are many ways to get an advance copy of an OS. After all, Apple and Microsoft strongly encourage developers to get such advance copies to ensure that necessary software does not explode on release.

If whatever in Rosetta broke the Avernum games in 10.4.8 becomes non-broke in OS X 10.5 it will make me a very happy person.

- Jeff Vogel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:
When the Intel version of Tiger was updated to 10.4.8, something was modified in Rosetta which made the Avernum games terribly slow. Jeff is aware of the problem. Whether or not we will see Universal versions of the Avernum trilogy remains to be seen. In the meantime, the games run fine in emulated Windows.
Wow, that's really unfortunate considering Jeff put so much time into modernizing these games...just to have an OS revision mess with his work yet again.

Let's hope it works in 10.5!

- Says Ming who uses Windows but wants as many people as possible playing these games cuz they're so cool.

Quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:
Did you read my posts at all? It does work with 10.5.
I thought you were still on 10.5 Beta. I see that you are using a more recent built. I've seen many things reverted in beta builds, which is why I commented. But I'm not a Mac user so I can't say whether or not that kind of thing holds true with Macs. Isn't Leopard 9A527 out now? Just to developers, perhaps?