Geneforge 5 - Strategy Central[G5]

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=175661#Post175661

A great G5 editor (mostly finished and it has shaping/magic/skills/exp/money/artifacts all combined into one editor) might want to add it since all the other geneforges have their editors, and hopefully this one will become like Criokles grin

• 4 weeks later...

You read several thousand (really?) posts, so you can read these few. Don't post multiple times in a row. If you have more to say, use the edit button. And don't clutter a topic with completely irrelevant things, like WoW out of the blue.

Oh, and welcome to Spiderweb! Leave your sanity at the door, but in a wholesome and comprehensible way.

—Alorael, who must remind everyone that while insanity and inanity have some superficial similarities, the differences do in fact run much deeper than a single sibilant.

Not Greek, just gibberish due to a single missing letter.

—Alorael, who has just had an interesting thought thanks to Forge's PDN. While many genetic manipulations are possible, he somehow sees PCR, restriction, and ligation to create plasmids of choice to be the closest thing to forging genes.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Ease. In order to actually create a gene, one would have to determine the desired protein structure, work back through RNA to DNA, and then add in all of the non-translated material. Not to mention how hard it would be to manipulate individual nucleotides.

Synthesising a DNA strand with whatever sequence you like is actually pretty easy now. It's working out the three-dimensional structure of the protein that's the hard part. Biologists have actually managed to design genes from scratch experimentally, though, creating a pair of simple proteins that were designed to bind to each other. (The proteins don't actually do anything besides bind to each other; they were just created to see if it could be done.)

This isn't the one I was looking for, but it's still a journal article about researchers designing a protein from scratch and proving that it does what they designed it to do, which makes it awesome enough to post:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/121601724/HTMLSTART

Quote:
Here we describe a synthetic protein (6H7H) designed to bind four heme groups via bis-histidine axial ligation. The hemes are designed to bind perpendicular to another in an orientation that mimics the relative geometry of the two heme a groups in the active site of cytochrome c oxidase. Our newly developed protein-design program, called CORE, was implemented in the design of this novel hemoprotein. Heme titration studies resolved four distinct KD values (KD1 = 80 nM, KD2 = 18 nM, KD3 3 mM, KD4 570 nM, with KD3 × K D4 = 1700); positive cooperativity in binding between the first and second heme, as well as substantial positive cooperativity between the third and forth heme, was observed. Chemical and thermal denaturation studies reveal a stable protein with native-like properties. Visible circular dichroism spectroscopy of holo-6H7H indicates excitonic coupling between heme groups. Further electrochemical and spectroscopic characterization of the holo-protein support a structure that is consistent with the predefined target structure.

Artemis was flippin' through this thread, and was staring blankly at her moniter for about 10 minutes trying to figure out what this meant:

Quote:
well sorRY! Mr. ladies man... (artemis has schoolsucksitis)

lol

...is this reffering to Artemis or Ackrovan? Or both? Artemis is a female, so she cant possibly be Mr. Something-or-other...and Artemis certainly not dating Acky, and nothing was said to make him Mr. laidies whatever...or were you just acknowledging my creative PDM? DARN YOU SUNDAY MORNINGS!

er...please elaborate?

alright i found it.

Originally Posted By: Artemis is a NIJA!
nonono, I mean that you've got a better understanding, and it'll be easier for you to write. That was a pretty neutral comment. Geez, now i'm going to have to declare my undying love for you.

I LOVE YOU ACKROVAN.

oh, and it's trivial because there are alot of opinions on the ending.

and its you ms. NIJA

so HA! jeeze... alright bad thought just went through my head... wow thats gross...

Originally Posted By: The Pukka Panjandrum

Because you, collectively, didn't, obviously.

—Alorael, who needed one more comma in that sentence and just couldn't work it in.

Oh, I dunno - I think this works just fine:

"Because, you, collectively, didn't, obviously."

Although the new punctuation might be better indicating a bit more pause ( : or ; or - ), a "," works pretty well. The same might be said for a couple of other positions.

It's kinda like trying to read a poem, or a beginning actor trying to learn lines, inserting random alternative pauses & emphases (emphasis?) with each successive attempt.