Changes from the earlier games[G5]

Randomizer

Again: if you're fighting multiple gazers, you almost certainly want to come back at a higher level. Fifth tier creations will tend to demolish your party until you at least can make one of your own.

—Alorael, who has also noticed that G5 has a fairly high number of quests that you absolutely shouldn't attempt when you are likely to get them. And sometimes the difficulty ramps up hilariously. "Go spy on the Unbound. Be careful! If you're seen, you will definitely die, as a single one could incinerate you in an instant!" Done. "Excellent! Now kill one! Don't be a big baby. Kill it!"

Originally Posted By: Blurb
I used the tab key and thought it said gazers. I could have misread it, though. If I'm wrong about that, what are those little pinkish creatures in the center? They're nasty. smile

The weird-looking one-eyed things on legs that damage and debuff your whole party? Those are podlings. They're incredibly annoying but they also die fairly easily, so it's best to daze them and gang up on them with creations.

Originally Posted By: Warmaster Golem mk4
Again: if you're fighting multiple gazers, you almost certainly want to come back at a higher level. Fifth tier creations will tend to demolish your party until you at least can make one of your own.

I managed to wipe out the drakon in Secret Laboratory when I was still fielding three drayks and a wingbolt, but I had a lot of help from the NPC allies in that area. (And the drayks had enough fire resistance to survive a hit from the drakon, which was also important.)

The West Shadow Road has creatures labeled as gazers, but they are patchwork creatures with each one having a different power. If you are careful you can just fight two at a time and by retreating into the room that you past coming into their area you can make it one on one. They are still nasty.

Edit - patchworks look like they are mooning you and podlings sound like they are spitting on you.

This game is harder than earlier ones. So come back later instead of fighting everything works really well.

The rotghroth guarding the Tinker's bauble can be avoided by following behind him and ducking into buildings. No stealth items needed. Just use combat mode.

Originally Posted By: Warmaster Golem mk4
Alorael, who has also noticed that G5 has a fairly high number of quests that you absolutely shouldn't attempt when you are likely to get them. And sometimes the difficulty ramps up hilariously. "Go spy on the Unbound. Be careful! If you're seen, you will definitely die, as a single one could incinerate you in an instant!" Done. "Excellent! Now kill one! Don't be a big baby. Kill it!"

Ha ha! Your post made me laugh. And no kidding, either. Some of the areas in the hint book, if I follow in that order, are terrifying to my hapless group.

But look, I thought I had it made on the kill the Unbound quest because we killed the one in North Citadel Pass. Okay, so I did it by going and hiding behind the soldiers in the south (goo goo ga ga). But, still.. So then, I ran back to Sage Quothe's lab thinking how great it was that I could fulfill the "kill Unbound" quest and so quickly. Nope. Not THAT one.

Thanks, Randomizer, for clearing up the gazer thing. I was almost thinking my eyesight was going. I really thought it said gazer. Patchwork is a term I'm not familiar with, though.

But look, I thought I had it made on the kill the Unbound quest because we killed the one in North Citadel Pass. Okay, so I did it by going and hiding behind the soldiers in the south (goo goo ga ga). But, still.. So then, I ran back to Sage Quothe's lab thinking how great it was that I could fulfill the "kill Unbound" quest and so quickly. Nope. Not THAT one.

Thanks, Randomizer, for clearing up the gazer thing. I was almost thinking my eyesight was going. I really thought it said gazer. Patchwork is a term I'm not familiar with, though.

With a little luck, you'll probably be able to kill an Unbound once you can make Wingbolts, or soon after: they're the best creations to use against them. Don't bother trying before that.

"Patchwork" means "composed of many different pieces". Usually it's used to refer to a blanket or quilt made of fabric stitched together from different sources. In this case, it's a creation made of many different bits of other creations.

Hey, I killed the single unbound in the fen with just a L26 sorceress, and pets cryoa, vlish and roamer. Ended up with just me & the cryoa left though. (I'm trying to keep Flossie all through the game, other creations are disposable.) It was hard, but iirc it was just essence shield, speed, bless, lightning aura, group heal and plenty of spores.

Hecate, I don't get how you did it because mine was a level 26 or so sorceress and the Unbound took each of us out in one blow. There was no battle. Nothing to heal there. Bang bang you're dead. laugh

And the sorry saga continues. The worms in Western Okavano took out my party in record time while trying to kill the spawners. In one attempt, a group swarmed my clawbug and he was gone in one round. Yes, I blessed, shielded, etc. In the old games, poison damage wasn't so swift and so deadly. But now, one chomp from these little fiends yields massive damage. There is supposed to be a mechanics option, but my party is attacked while disarming mines.

I do great in the areas where you run around and talk to people. smile

I'm into the story. I just don't know that I can get to the end. I've had tough areas in past games, but I could often change up the strategy and try again or come back later. I can't come back later for all these areas, though. It's looking like a trend.

I wondered if the beta testers can offer opinions about this. Like, maybe this is common at this point in the game? Like, maybe the PC will eventually catch up to these powerful rogues? Or maybe that Blurb really bites at this? lol

Hecate, I don't get how you did it because mine was a level 26 or so sorceress and the Unbound took each of us out in one blow. There was no battle. Nothing to heal there. Bang bang you're dead. laugh

Different difficulty settings, maybe? On Torment, a single Unbound can pump out over 500 damage per round, plus lingering damage from acid, plus its aura attacks (which can be avoided by staying at the very edge of missile range). Any creation below fourth tier will have enormous difficulty surviving that.

Quote:
And the sorry saga continues. The worms in Western Okavano took out my party in record time while trying to kill the spawners. In one attempt, a group swarmed my clawbug and he was gone in one round. Yes, I blessed, shielded, etc. In the old games, poison damage wasn't so swift and so deadly. But now, one chomp from these little fiends yields massive damage. There is supposed to be a mechanics option, but my party is attacked while disarming mines.

Mental Magic is your friend here. The Okavano Fens are a tough area, and I don't think they're supposed to be fully cleared out when you first reach them: come back when you have Strong Daze.

I forget what level I was (on Normal), but I did it with a solo Agent, and the key was to avoid its area spell, and only get hit by its breath. It took a bit of luck, but I first shackled it (also wracked, I think), then set acid and energy status, then ran like mad.

Poison, acid, and energy feel way more powerful than in previous games, especially combined with regeneration. I got through a lot of potentially maddening stun-locks by buffing up, running in and casting acid shower, then hunkering down and letting the enemies slowly die. This worked even better on non-stunning enemies, since you could afflict them with all 3 ailments.

The path through Western Okavano is to come up through Southwestern Okavano and race through the southeast part to avoid the worms. Mechanics allows you disarm mines, but they are all difficulty 14.

Fighting an Unbound takes plenty of armor and then closing and pinning it against a wall so it only gets its weaker melee attacks. The ones outside the swamp patrols have scripted area effects so you need to have plenty of healing.