Exile for Vista?

23*

There won't be any updates to Exile. It's possible that you could get Exile to run in compatibility mode or by some other trickery, but I'll leave that to the Windows users.

—Alorael, who wonders why there are not, as far as he knows, Windows emulators for Windows. He'd bet it's just because he doesn't know of them, but of course he can't be sure.

Originally Posted By: CATGUTpuAG
—Alorael, who wonders why there are not, as far as he knows, Windows emulators for Windows. He'd bet it's just because he doesn't know of them, but of course he can't be sure.
That sounds just like my dilemma – there are no Macintosh (PPC) emulators for Macintosh (Intel)!

Basilisk ][ works beautifully on my Intel Mac. Sound works fine, too. It took me a little while to get all the settings set properly, prepare a disk image with system software, etc... but it was worth it. Exile II, Jewel of Arabia, and 3 in Three all run again. Booyeah.

Originally Posted By: CATGUTpuAG
How about Sheepshaver?

—Alorael, who has also heard good things about Basilisk II as long as you don't need anything more recent than OS 8.
Actually, I believe I have tried both of those... I think I couldn't get Sheepshaver to work, but Basilisk II did. However, it was confusing to work with and did some strange things (eg when trying to open ResEdit :/).

The OS I would like is OS9 or OSX with Classic. (So, a PowerPC.) But OS9 would be better (and less redundant).

I was hoping Mac-on-Linux would be available for Mac at some point, but progress is slow if not completely absent there.

• 1 month later...

yea the only way i made it work is going into the system setting and changing something to 16-bit mode. i think it was the color or something. Sorry it's been a while and i dont really remember. I'll ask my brother who tought me how to do it and get back to you.

But compatibility mode doesnt work for the exile series.

• 4 weeks later...

I never knew of any compatibility issues, and on my 5-month-old Vista they work fine (at least E1 and Blades, I don't own 2 or 3), and I don't think I had to mess with them at all. But I agree with the op, Avernum isn't the same. Exile just has something that Avernum doesn't, ancient graphics aside. (I actually like the old graphics better, to be honest.)

I prefer the old graphics too. Also, BoE has in my opinion much prettier custom graphics than BoA. And they can take up more than one square. Just look at the Ice Drake from Shadow of the Stranger, or the Malice Demon from An Apology, or Legion from Falling Stars, or Natus from Nebulous Times Hence. You just don't see graphics this pretty in BoA. Sure, BoA can be pretty too, but not as much as BoE.

Originally Posted By: The Lurker
And they can take up more than one square.
BoA also has graphics that take up more than one square. Not monster graphics, maybe, but still floor and terrain graphics.

I like some of the BoE graphics better. The goblins, for example. Actually, probably most of the monster graphics are better. The item graphics are equal, and terrain... I think it varies.

• 4 weeks later...