._

Nioca

I've noticed, in a lot of scenarios that I've downloaded recently, that I'll find two sets of identical files. One set consists of normal files, such as, "scenariodata.txt". The other, however, consists of all the text and graphic files in the scenario, prefaced by a period followed by an underscore (._). So it results in files with names such as, "._scenariodata.txt". I find that they have no effect on the game, and can be deleted without problem. For example, I just downloaded WtRM, and found that even the readme had a duplicate ._set.

Has anyone else experienced this? And does anyone know what exactly is happening?

They are not Macintosh hidden files. Rather, they are the Macintosh's way of representing the resource fork of their files on a FAT32 filesystem (which of course doesn't support resource forks). For the script files, all the resource forks should be empty anyway, which is why deleting them doesn't affect anything.

Don't they appear in a hidden folder call RESOURCE.FRK?

They should be at the same directory level as the original files. (Of which they are after all a part.) Apparently whatever software was used to make those compressed scenario files was over zealous about trying to preserve multiple forks that most of the file never had anyway. You can safely delete them, as they likely never had anything in them in the first place, and you file system is unfortunately not smart enough to handle such data correctly anyway.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
They are not Macintosh hidden files. Rather, they are the Macintosh's way of representing the resource fork of their files on a FAT32 filesystem (which of course doesn't support resource forks). For the script files, all the resource forks should be empty anyway, which is why deleting them doesn't affect anything.

Don't they appear in a hidden folder call RESOURCE.FRK?

It is true that they are resource files, but they are indeed Macintosh hidden files. tongue