Beta call for HIM: The Wolf at the Door

Thralni

Much faster than I had ever imagined it to be, I'm calling a beta for the sequel to HIM: HIM:The Wolf at the Door. The scenario can be completed in under than 30 minutes, is my guess. You don't have to have played HIM 1 to understand HIM 2, but it'd be nice if you had (*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*)

So, if you want to test, please fill out these details:

Name (which will be the name I'll put in the readme file):

OS: (note: there ARE custom sounds, but windows users will not be able to hear them in-game. Still wanna hear them? Download them at thralni.ermarian.net/scenarios/scenarios.html)

Previous experience (not strictly necessary, but it may help)

email adress

I'm looking for two windows and two mac testers. Still, if you want to help, just apply. I might need you for a second round!

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel

Previous experience: I think I've beta-tested one or two things before... but I can't remember what they are.

I think you tested 100 Evil Sliths.

If you needed another beta tester I could be available, but I totally abandoned WtRM 2.0 when I signed up for it...so only use me as a last resort...I'm not reliable.

Name: Excalibur
OS: Mac OS 9.2.2 (Preferably) and Windows 2000 Professional. If you send the Mac version it needs to be compressed with WinZip or WinRar. I doubt custom sounds could work, and it might not work at all on my Mac (SoG and Adrift had custom graphics which didn't work)
E-mail: int80 (at) sbcglobal (dot) net ...It's also in my profile.
Experience: Shades of Grey, Adrift, Muffins 'n Hell

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel

Previous experience: I think I've beta-tested one or two things before... but I can't remember what they are.

I think you tested 100 Evil Sliths.

I don't remember that...

I do remember beta-testing War Preparations, which is for BoE.

.meg...? That's BoE format. No, the custom sounds are put in the cmg file (I assume .meg was just a typo, since before you guys were discussing BoE stuff, right?). Basically, how it works: you copy/paste the sound you want to have in your scenario, into the cmg file and assign it an already existing sound number. Now, when you open the scenario, BoA first checks the cmg gile, causing the game to copy the custom sounds over its own, core, sounds. Thus, you have custom sounds in your scenario.

Which brings us to why custom sounds don't work in Windows: there is no such thing in the Win BoA. It checks for BMP files, but nothing else (presumably), whereas the Mac BoA checks the entire cmg file. Therefor, in order to get custom sounds in Win Boa, you need to hack the executable, which we'd rather not do.

Originally Posted By: Thralni
I assume .meg was just a typo,
You assume correctly.

The behaviour on the Mac is actually a side-effect of the way the Macintosh Resource Manager works. You could create any resources in the file with the same ID and type as one in the application or the data files, and they would override the default.

• 1 month later...