Sign in to follow this  
Ghaldring

Sylak's fiery tongs

For Nethergate: Original, the Shared.dat and Outdoor.dat files make mention of 'Sylak's Fiery Tongs'. Is this item in the game, or is this just some vestigal reference to something Jeff left out?

No one has ever encountered them that I know of. They're probably an idea that was never used.

—Alorael, who finds the idea intriguing. What would they have been?

I never saw them, but there are lots of items that people never pick up because they have no sellable value.

you know, when are we gonna get jeff to talk on these forums?

anywho, some thing like tongs is easily overlookable...i dont think i would have noticed them unless they were already in my inventory....btw, do nethergates have carachter editors?

Jeff is presumably busy with Geneforge 5.

Sylak items are usually junk or not necessary.

Both Nethergates have a character editor, accessible from the main screen. If you have the registered version of the game you can use all features not just some.

Jeff drops by the forums regularly, but he pays more attention to more recent games.

—Alorael, who has generally found that it's difficult to pick up Sylak's items without noticing. They're not terribly subtle.

I managed to alter my save game file to give myself item 276, I got Sylak's Enlightening Amber not the Fiery Tongs.

I only understand four of the six numbers, there may be something that I am missing here.

Exactly how the four item lists interact remains unclear to me.

Interesting. Why can't you understand the other two numbers?

If the tongs are in the game data, there must be some way to retrieve them, yes? But then, I know jack all about code.

I can perceive no pattern in the other two numbers, so for the time being...

I am trying to systematically decrypt the outdoor zone entries in "shared.dat". It seems that I have mostly succeeded. I don't understand one bit, it looks like a collection of 60 Blades of Exile special node details. If I do sort it all out, I will alter one zone so that a tree dispenses the Tongs rather than Mistletoe.

Edit:

Altering the two numbers below in Shared.dat will alter what item the Shadowdale Mistletoe tree dispenses. I tried this and got Sylak's Enlightening Amber not the Fiery Tongs!

Hexadecimal address = 2C88A = 182,410 initial value = 0

Hexadecimal address = 2C88B = 182,411 initial value= 180.

I mean the tree just south-east of the village of Shadowdale, the one in the Shady Grove. Item numbers seem to be based upon Celt.dat not Shared.dat. Thus 180 is the number for Mistletoe.