rumors of return to Exile?

In other words, Jeff has said that he wants to make sure Exile/Avernum remains playable and somewhat modern even as the original games become too old to have players. So he'll keep updating.

—Alorael, who wonders if he has similar intentions for Geneforge eventually and, if so, how many games he can make before maintaining them takes up all his time. Maybe this is work that needs to be abandoned eventually, farmed out, or made much easier during the programming of the originals.

Originally Posted By: Who flung poo
EDIT: as soon as i hit 'post' i realized how retarded i just sounded
Exactly. smile Anyway, I like the Avernum 1-3 engine. If he wanted to update Avernum 1 to incorporate a few of the features from later engines (I'm particularly thinking of the quest list here), that would be nice, but I don't really want to have it updated to the Avernum 6 engine, whatever that turns out to be.

I heard that id software is going to update the game engine for Doom... again. It should be exciting, reliving the race through Alpha Labs 1, Alpha Labs 2, Alpha Labs 3, Alpha Labs 4, Alpha Labs 5, Alpha Labs 6, Beta Labs 1, Beta Labs 2, Beta Labs 3, Beta Labs 4, Beta Labs 5, Beta Labs 6, Delta Labs 1, Delta Labs 2, Delta Labs 3, Delta Labs 4, and Delta Labs 5 (plus other exciting and original maps, such as Processing and Storage 1, Processing and Storage 2...) in Crysis like graphics.

Well, it's not. But it's not so different that it's a problem. If you can get past the graphics, A5's engine is in many ways a lot nicer than A1-3's, and I have no problem with that since the A1-3 graphics are frequently hard to see.

—Alorael, who really only misses outdoors. On the other hand, it would probably be easier to upgrade with outdoors rather than remake all those areas as contiguous wilderness, so maybe that won't all have to change.

Updating Exile!?! I doubt it. After hearing the work he had to go to just to FIND the source code for BoE a few years ago, I'd imagine updating Exile would turn into rewriting exile. He's already done that - it's called Avernum.

I also fear that if he updates the Exile engine he will probably be inclined to “upgrade” the graphics/game system to be more like his newer games, and these who still care about Exile generally don’t dig them as much.

Finally I don’t think an update is necessary for exile because the exile system includes BoE. OBoE is the dream of an upgraded Exile that keeps the heart and soul of Exile, while BoE and OBoE include scenario design tools so gamers can share their work and keep releasing fresh new adventures.

As for updating A1-3, there might be some sense to have the series use a consistent engine, just to keep series continuity. Seeing as the engine of A5 is the most polished he’s produced so far in the series (and possibly in any of his games) it is sensible for him to use this as the model for his others.

Originally Posted By: Robsta
Updating Exile!?! I doubt it. After hearing the work he had to go to just to FIND the source code for BoE a few years ago, I'd imagine updating Exile would turn into rewriting exile. He's already done that - it's called Avernum.
I also fear that if he updates the Exile engine he will probably be inclined to “upgrade” the graphics/game system to be more like his newer games, and these who still care about Exile generally don’t dig them as much.
My impression was that it would simply be recompiled to be able to run on newer computers.

Finally I don’t think an update is necessary for exile because the exile system includes BoE. OBoE is the dream of an upgraded Exile that keeps the heart and soul of Exile, while BoE and OBoE include scenario design tools so gamers can share their work and keep releasing fresh new adventures.
But OBoE does not include the Exile Trilogy. It's just the engine.

As for updating A1-3, there might be some sense to have the series use a consistent engine, just to keep series continuity. Seeing as the engine of A5 is the most polished he’s produced so far in the series (and possibly in any of his games) it is sensible for him to use this as the model for his others.
As I've said, I disagree. I don't think a completely consistent engine is necessary – at least they're all similar engines.