Tranquility: When to do Endurance Test, Moref

I'm on my third run through A5, so I don't need tips on killing Moref or surviving the Endurance Test in the southeast quadrant of Solberg's lands.

But I would appreciate more general advice. On my third go, I think I have played the game with maximum efficiency, as evidenced by the shortness of my quest list (just 5 items) and the relative ease with which I've been able to do tasks that were much harder the first two times through.

So I was hoping I might be able to take on Moref and Malachai's Endurance Test before moving on to Anama, the Howling Depths, etc. (FYI, 3 of my characters are currently level 20, my slith is level 19, and everyone's armor ranges from 50% to 54%.) I tried the Endurance Test, and thought I approached it pretty cleverly: I had my characters huddled in a square, with the two magic users adjacent to the "neutral" sentinel, in order to minimize the number of sentinels that could attack at a given time. But to no avail. Even gobbling up healing potions and elixirs like Rush Limbaugh on pain killers, all my characters were dead before the clock ran out.

I haven't even tried Moref yet, apart from clearing out the ghasts (or whatever they were), because that was even a tougher fight than the Endurance Test for me. (And, no, I never have seen the elusive wisp of light everyone talks about.)

So the question is, is it a waste of resources and time to try these two quests before getting through the Howling Depths and into the Azure Gallery? Have any of you (without cheating) been able to complete these quests before leaving Tranquility? If so, is there some strategy I am overlooking?

Both of these can be done, and without expending more than maybe one or two energy potions. I know you said you didn't want tips, but you also asked if there was a strategy you were overlooking, so...

For the endurance test, I think I ended up just killing any sentinels that attacked. If you haven't killed any sentinels in the other quadrants, it shouldn't make Tranquility hostile.

Moref is annoying, but not that difficult even if you can't see the wisps. Try to wear all the sentinels down evenly with area-effect spells and then kill several of them in a single round to maximise your chances of getting the one with Moref in it.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
BFor the endurance test, I think I ended up just killing any sentinels that attacked. If you haven't killed any sentinels in the other quadrants, it shouldn't make Tranquility hostile.

Hmm. Naturally, I'm trying to kill them, but since about 16 of them have me surrounded within 1 turn of starting the test, and since my only area-effect attacks are Icy Rain and Lightning Spray, this is easier said than done. I suppose if I focused on a few at a time, I might have better results, but I only managed to kill about three of them before they overwhelmed me, and for every one I killed, there were another two waiting to take it's place.

Moref is annoying, but not that difficult even if you can't see the wisps. Try to wear all the sentinels down evenly with area-effect spells and then kill several of them in a single round to maximise your chances of getting the one with Moref in it.

I understand this in theory, but I always find it hard to carry out in practice. If you stay huddled in the middle, let them surround you, then use area attacks to kill a bunch at once, you take a massive blast. But if you scatter your players, there are never enough sentinels (golems, whatever they are) in one spot to make effective use of area attacks, and of course new ones keep popping up at the far side of the room.

It's tempting to just put both off until my team is lot stronger, but that probably means I'll gain fewer experience points, and of course you can't do the Warped Chitrach quest until you've taken care of Moref.

I think A5 is the best game Jeff has made yet, but it is damned challenging, and the Moref quest is one of a few that I find tedious and unrewarding. At least the Haakai tribute quest, though hard, is interesting, but of course all this is subjective.

Thanks for the advice!

You know you can get the Divine Fire spell by breaking into Solberg's private lab in the Northeast Quadrant, right? That's a pretty good area-effect attack for this point in the game.

For Moref, it helps if you have a slith fighter with lots of fire resistance equipment for all the sentinels to crowd around, so he takes less damage from the explosions.

You know you can get the Divine Fire spell by breaking into Solberg's private lab in the Northeast Quadrant, right? That's a pretty good area-effect attack for this point in the game.

Ah-hah. I knew there was a spell up there, but forgot what it was, and haven't been up there yet this time around. I'll sneak up there and grab it.

For Moref, it helps if you have a slith fighter with lots of fire resistance equipment for all the sentinels to crowd around, so he takes less damage from the explosions.

I've got a slith fighter. I'll see what I can do. Many thanks again.

Worked like a charm. Having the Divine Fire spell made all the difference in the world. It also occurred to me to summon two shades, whom I also blessed with an assault crystal. The sentinels dropped like flies. Thanks.

Now on to Moref.

Got Moref, too. Making my slith archer the "magnet" was easier than I expected. Just have everyone else retreat to the northwest corner while she shoots arrows at the golems from the center of the room, then when the golems have gathered around her, have the mage soften them up with Icy Rain. The golems pretty much do the rest themselves by punching my assault-blessed slith. Things went well until I ran out of assault crystals/elixirs and invulnerability potions. When my slith bit the dust, in order to keep the golems from moving to the northwest corner, I had to send my human fighter into their midst on a suicide mission. By the time I killed Moref, only my mage was left standing. Phew.

Thanks again to Thuryl and Thrasher for the advice.

Easiest way to do Malachite's Endurance quest.

Click to reveal..
Open the door to Horace's the Scribe's hut. Line up with the sentinel so you can just talk to it. Haste the party. Wait until the sentinel patrols are not nearby. Start the test. Run inside the hut. Shut the door (only works if no sentinel is nearby. Wait until it's over. Even if you can't shut the door, the highest health party member can block the door and keep the other sentinels out so only 3 attack one character that can be healed and use invulnerability potions.

Glad it worked out!

Another way which is more risky at the start is to buff everyone with haste, shield, bless, etc. Get 2 summons. and group everyone in the middle. Make sure you have mass heal! Also the smite spell does wonders.

Use combat skills and lots of ranged / spell attacks once the first wave is cleared. That way they're kept at a distance and your party is relatively safe. Only at the beginning is it dicey.

EDIT: also, I think I used slow spells at the beginning to reduce the rate of explosive outbursts!

• 6 months later...

I'd say that I'm a bit disappointed by getting in my face three quests that are part of series so you you feel them more important to unlock the next in the series and those three quests involve fights suddenly extremely tough.

Well for the endurance test I followed partially the tip given here but never really succeed to apply it, but instead the first pc to act go in and close the door and let other pc die and that's done, no need of haste or anything. Well done but it let an unpleasant taste in the mouth.

For Moref I see it as a bug, I don't see any flash and get bored after a long fighting. And for the trick to kill many at same time I just kill my pc by doing that.

For the east tower involved in two quests and both are quite central, I just give up bored and with the feeling of something wrong in my party or in the game design.

I wish this part had been in demo part that would avoid me buy the game. grin

The east tower is Donicio's quest for what Solberg is doing.

The west tower is Tiacourna's second quest to test a spell. There are 3 sentinels to fight there. Summon two mage creations and hope for ghasts since they drain AP is one way to go. Melee damage from the testing sentinels is less than missle damage to have someone attack each one. Concentrate damage on one, I like the west one out of habit, and move on to the next after it's gone. It isn't that hard a test.

No no it's east tower and if I'm not wrong there's two quest linked to it and one isn't put in quest book. I have done the test you mention quite easily. The spell is in fact quite strong.

For the east tower I finally did it. I made a quick test with a control foe scroll and for two attempt one succeed so I decided take my chance and eventually spend the 4 scroll I had. I buffered at max and enter in fight mode before and made two summon (still minor) that I buffer too (health, shield, haste). And I gave a control foe scroll to each char. I got luck and the first two worked. I killed two statues with the help of the two other then started attack one controlled but the second controlled stopped to be controlled before I killed the other. But that's been enough to kill them all. At worst my rogue would have die but in the end they switch attack the mage and rogue too often loosing attacks and none die... Rha now let see the secrets!

Cough cough I realize that my east tower could not be the right east tower! LOL. I mean the isolated tower in the east.

Originally Posted By: Earth2025
You mean where you stole Solberg's papers? 1 way is to send fighters to fight and spellcasters keep fighters alive until 2 Snowballs is left and fighters block Snowballs way to scs and focus mainly to 1 enemy.

Yes, I believed it was the east tower I hadn't found yet. If I did something closely like you suggest I had the two fighters dead quite fast in one or two rounds. I could perhaps optimized their equipment against the attacks but that's one point very unclear for a newbie, the type of attacks.

Well the control foe spells worked nicely. But all of that end in not having stole the paper (yet) but to try and see it wasn't the east tower, so I reloaded. I had to give a quick look to the walkthrough to find the east tower. Well I wonder how I didn't found before. smile

Anyway, now I know that I hadn't to do this very rude fight but to get few stuff but not that much and for a path I'll not follow for this play.

• 3 weeks later...

Further to what Randomizer stated:

Stand just south of the sentinel you need to talk to in order to begin the test, but make sure you wait until the patrols are not near (off the screen to the left and right). I was able to talk to him, begin the test, and head directly south (toward an open door) and pass the test without ever entering combat mode. I believe I casted haste on everyone prior, but I doubt it was necessary.

• 6 months later...

I've just hit Moref the Shade, and careful inspection has revealed that yes, the sentinel which Moref possesses is marked for *less than a second* when he first enters it. The mark is equivalent to what you see on a character who has been blessed: A single, yellow swirling diamond. I took a screenshot and marked the possessed sentinel with a red rectangle, in which you can see the 'mark of possession' (ie. the diamond, NOT the green orb thingy, that's just part of the background).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/Red_Wizard/moref.jpg

He switches bodies every round, so if you missed the swirling diamond, just wait until the next round with your eyes constantly sweeping across the monitor. I wouldn't go attacking nilly willy, it seems rather counter productive. Also note that the first sentinel possessed is always the same one: The one on the top right corner.

This 'challenge' really highlights a persistent problem with Geneforge and A4/A5. The game should *not* be made difficult because of poor graphics/graphical orientation. Tiny switches are neither here nor there, but caches/levers/bodies which the player can't see because of the isometric 3D perspective is just stupid.

Edit: I just managed to beat down Moref on Torment, although I burnt through three Invulnerability Potions in the process. Oh well, I guess that is what they are for. By the way, did I ever mention that I wish my mages all had Repel Spirit so that they could focus fire?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Barzhal
Further to what Randomizer stated:

Stand just south of the sentinel you need to talk to in order to begin the test, but make sure you wait until the patrols are not near (off the screen to the left and right). I was able to talk to him, begin the test, and head directly south (toward an open door) and pass the test without ever entering combat mode. I believe I casted haste on everyone prior, but I doubt it was necessary.

No need to haste. Works well without.