Editor Error

Yeah I'm going to keep this short and sweet soo... Basically whenever I try to save a scenario error number 11 pops up and it says that I can't save my scenario progress and giving the scenario editor more memory could help, but i don't know how to do that and yeah...also i've tried downloading and reinstalling the editor but that never helps, so yeah, anyone come across this at all?

First, if you have 128 MB of RAM or more, you really should be fine. To be sure, try closing other unneeded programs before trying to save.

Secondly, which editor are you using? There are multiple for both PC and Mac, and not all of them are as stable as the original release (on another note, if you have more than one editor, make sure you re-installed the right one wink ).

If that fails, then it's likely a corruption in the .bas file of the scenario, not an error on the editor's part. Have you added more towns recently, or have you changed the outdoor size?

Originally Posted By: Cetovan
If that fails, then it's likely a corruption in the .bas file of the scenario, not an error on the editor's part. Have you added more towns recently, or have you changed the outdoor size?

To add on to this, I think this problem may also happen when a graphics file is wonky. Maybe you've set a monster to use a nonexistent graphic, or a monster's graphic is undefined?

Originally Posted By: John S
Originally Posted By: Cetovan

To add on to this, I think this problem may also happen when a graphics file is wonky. Maybe you've set a monster to use a nonexistent graphic, or a monster's graphic is undefined?

I don't think so. If it were an editor graphics problem, he would have hit it the second he opened the editor. Same goes for scenario graphics.

Yeah, I apologize for my absense, dial-up is a poo-face...Uhmm..I'm currently using Windows Vista and I believe that the editor is the newest version, I can't remember who said the thing about 128 RAM but I believe that would be the problem seeing as though this isn't my gaming computer...I believe Ephesos said the thing about RAM but yeah, I'll try downloading the editor from spidweb.com again and I might even reinstall BoA before putting in the editor but yeah this is starting to get very frusterating

EDIT: Nioca was the one who said that about RAM! I have no idea where Ephesos came from

If you're running Vista, you shouldn't have memory shortage problems.

That said, I didn't take into account that you might be running Vista. A few BoA designers have run into trouble designing in Vista Systems, and it may be your OS running interference. Still, try all of the suggestions thus far, and see what happens.

Will do, do you think running the editor under XP compatability will affect anything? Wait, why am I asking when I could be trying it out for myself

EDIT: None of the compatabilities change anything, also I reread my first post and I noticed I forgot to mention that the error occured when I did my very first save on the scenario I'm working on, so the scenario has nothing on it basically and yeah

I have examined the Windows Editor source code; error 11 when saving means that the program failed to open a temporary file, which it tries to name the same as your scenario file but with a 'bat' extension, for binary write access. Unless the directory your scenario is in is write protected, I can imagine no good reason for this to happen, or anything to do about it, I fear.

I believe I may have found out what is wrong. When I looked in the Data folder of BoA in my C drive I discovered that the scenario folder was not in there and yet when I hit use the Open command on the editor it says that both the folder and the .bas file is there and yet I cannot find it when I look it up in the C drive. I believe something corrupted the editor like someone (I forget who) said so...and yeah I made a new scenario and saved it and the same thing had occured...so yeah hope that helped some

If the directory isn't there, then yes, that would cause the save, and many other operations, to fail. Also, although having the directory show up from the open dialog is weird, it's not the editor's fault if something else has deleted the scenario directory out from under it.

As I use a Mac, I can't really do much more to diagnose this problem. Any thoughts from windows users?

ah-hah-hah....ah-hah-hah-hah-hah! (that's enough of that) I've figured it out! I was on a frustated rampage and I was going all over my BoA C drive folder trying to find anything that could help and after about an hour a found nothing and i was about to explode in rage but then i opened up the data folder and looked in this sub-tab thingy and i noticed a little thing titled compatability files and in there was my scenario folder! and i was all like zOMG!!!!111!!one!! but i knew i shouldnt get ahead of myself until i test it out and i moved my scenario folder into the data folder and made a small hut in a blank city, saved, and error 11 never popped up and then i got laid and thats the end of that hopefully, thanks again for all your help guys

I'm glad you found your file and got lucky in the process. As a designer who recently switched to Vista, I'm flabbergasted at how much my OS hates BoA. Of course, I soon realized that it didn't really hold any sort of personal grudge against BoA because it's apparently a [censored] all of the time and completely unbiased about which of your programs it'll randomly choose to **** up for whatever inane reason.

And to all of you who have not had the pleasure of this unhappy combination, yes. Yes it deletes scenario files when you do something it doesn't like, for instance saving.

Edit: Unfortunately, my attempts to appease my OS have not yet gotten me any tail. Maybe I should take up bowling.