freq uent ann oyi ng han gs

Petoffen

I'm playing the demos for A5 and G4, and while on an older computer (AMD 2600+ 1GB RAM), especially after playing for a bit, the games frequently get 'mini hangs', lasting 2 to 5 seconds, and sometimes about 30 seconds.

It gets very annoying, as they're complely random - every time I go to walk half a screen, or talk to an NPC, or whatever activity, every 5 to 10 seconds, it stutters like the threat topic.

I don't think it's just the machine, as it plays many other games without that (e.g., World of Warcraft).

It does seemsort of disk/swap related; the cursor freezes during the hangs as well. Any ideas?

Originally Posted By: Petoffen
It happens anywhere at any time once it starts. It was happening last night for hours; today, it's not.

No reboot, no other programs (it is acting a bit like you might expect if you were installing a program in the background too).

Are you on a Windows machine? Maybe you could use Task Manager to start closing programs at... random. It sounds bad, but maybe it'll eliminate the problem?
It does seemsort of disk/swap related; the cursor freezes during the hangs as well. Any ideas?

Just because I'm superstitious, I would also check the CD drives and make sure there's nothing running in there.

When the skipping starts, does the sound coming from your computer change? Not the speakers, mind you. The actual computer. Can you hear more fans running, or more loudly?

Originally Posted By: John S
It happens anywhere at any time once it starts. It was happening last night for hours; today, it's not.

No reboot, no other programs (it is acting a bit like you might expect if you were installing a program in the background too).

Are you on a Windows machine? Maybe you could use Task Manager to start closing programs at... random. It sounds bad, but maybe it'll eliminate the problem?

Yes, Windows XP. There was really nothing to close. If it were some background program, I'd see it in other games, too, but I don't. I don't have a lot running.

It's the sort of slowdown you see when the computer is having to swap a lot, but with 10GB free disk space, 1GB RAM, I wouldn't think this game is stressing the hardware.

Just because I'm superstitious, I would also check the CD drives and make sure there's nothing running in there.

When the skipping starts, does the sound coming from your computer change? Not the speakers, mind you. The actual computer. Can you hear more fans running, or more loudly?

There's a Turbotax CD in the drive, but the CD wasn't being accessed.

I do notice disk activity during the pauses, not fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Any ideas why Firefox does that? I'm running a iMac G5 on OS X 10.4.11, and I have iStat menus installed. I notice that the firefox-bin process sometimes inexplicably begins to eat all the processor power. As far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with the tabs open, because it starts eating power at random, especially when I'm not even using it. Sorry to get off-topic, but any ideas? It's not a big problem; I usually just quit it if it gets too bad.