Haaki

Oskar

I remember seeing a topic where somebody didn't know what the Haaki dropped, and Synergy's list didn't show it either.

I killed him and this is what he dropped, I find it better than the Slith Bloodspear, but is it worth the chance to get one of Melanchions items? I think not.

picture2gk9.png

The protections on that item are attractive, but I'm still unconvinced that giving up your shield for the sake of a pole weapon which does somewhat more damage than a sword is an advantage... especially if you're equipped with a valuable shield like the Assassin's Shield.

Besides... With my fiery sword doing 50-150 damage per blow: I'm not sure how well the Jade Halberd would compare.

It's a bit annoying that some of the most important features of magic items are only very elliptically described. 'Acid blade' means that it puts acid on things, 'jinx blade' means that it curses them, and so on. But nothing tells you this except experience.

And sometimes the crucial feature is not really described at all. The fiery sword you can get at one point doesn't seem to be especially great in its damage, but what that stat doesn't tell you is that its damage type is fire, as opposed to physical like all other weapons. This means that against opponents highly resistant to physical damage, of which there are quite a few later in the game, it does far more damage than any other weapon.

Anyway. How much damage does the Jade Halberd's acid do? I forget what it was in A4, and I've never used it in A5.

I haven't used it in A5 either, but the data listing looks the same. The halberd adds layers of acid per die of your attack, i.e. every point of Strenth, Pole, Blademaster adds layers of acid, plus you get free layers for the strength of the halberd (12?). I forget if it's one layer per point or a random amount (1-2 or 1-3) but either way, you are adding about as much acid as you would from casting Spray Acid. Acid is an extremely useful damage type... in general I prefer this to the fire sword, which basically gives you a Bolt of Fire, whereas the JH gives you a melee attack plus a Spray Acid.

It doesn't help that the Fire Sword doesn't cause any damage against fire resistant monsters like lava bats and fire lizards.

The first time that happened I was completely confused. Then I figured it out....

So now my character that holds the fire sword also carries a normal sword so he can switch to it if necessary.

Nikki. has quite a point.

My Venemous Blade (the acid-dripping waveblade) is a nice weapon too and does a good amount of damage, just not as much as the Fiery Sword. I'm not convinced that the acid damage is so helpful especially with creatures I can kill with two or three blows. I carry the Venom Blade around for whenever I encounter a creature who's fire-resistant... which in the Vahnatai Lands is annoyingly common.

Perhaps the Jade Halberd matches the Fiery Sword in damage. But... had I equipped it (I think I came across it already? I don't remember who dropped it; the Slith beast had a nice pole weapon which earned me a decent number of coins), I would've lost my shield, costing me not only armor but valuable stat boosts... in the end: not worth it, I don't think.

EDIT: Who's Haaki, by the way? I don't remember any Haaki.

Quote:
Originally written by Clavicle:
EDIT: Who's Haaki, by the way? I don't remember any Haaki.
Haakai is not his name: it is the kind of demon he is. His name is long and starts with N and I do not remember it. Wait, no, that is a lie: his name is Nashazzar. I think.

He was one of the four magical creatures involved in the Melanchion's Tribute quests. During the battle with him, you could choose to kill him or accept his offer of tribute. Most people chose to accept the tribute and let him go, partly because the quest specified that that was the preferred resolution and partly because he was a real pain to fight.

Well, I do have to admit: after killing Nashazzar and equipping his Jade Halberd... even without the benefits of my shield, it does far more damage than my jinx blade... and the curse effect was nice, since it did seem to slow down my foes a little, but with something like 40%-70% more damage, it's worth it. Sure, I lose 2 points in Lethal Blow by unequipping my shield, and 10%-15% to-strike bonus (depending on which sword I'm no longer using) but my fighter almost always hits, anyhow, and can make up the LB points in a level and a few knowledge brews... . Yes, this halberd is definitely nice.

And methinks the 10% hostile resistance (20% if you include the 10% weapons resistance) is more valuable than the acid damage.

Yes... definitely a nice weapon. I'm keeping it.

But what's the point in having all those imps there if they not only don't challenge me but don't even earn me any XP (well, 3 XP) per imp that I kill? What's the point, man? I mean: I came here to kill demons. Even if I don't earn more than 3 XP per imp: the least they can do is attack me? What sort of demons are they, anyway? They're acting like humans, here, just following orders, tending whole-mindedly to their mindnumbing duties. I would've thought, after all... I mean... you go to Hell, you manage to climb up in the ranks... you should have some privileges, some freedoms that common mortals do not have. I mean: isn't that what Hell is for? Isn't Hell supposed to be the land of total freedom? Isn't that what good ol' Satan stands for? Freedom?

Sad... . It makes me sad.

But only as much as Nashazzar's jadely halberd makes me grin and clap.

It's a weird balance.

• 5 years later...

Now, how about some tips to beat this bugger. . . I know to spend some effort killing the imps around the room, but he keeps frying me. . .

Kill imp, enjoy on healing shade while pummeling Nashazzar and after shade disappears repeat until Nashazzar surrenders. protective spells and augmentation help alot and inv. potions too if your chars have too low health and mass heal on 2 casters isn't bad thing either.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have learned the Battle Frenzy battle disclipine, it has a great use in this fight. The Divine Aid effect from it will completely protect you from Nashazzar's very powerful fire aura attack. Not to mention the AP boost and damage boost. However, since your spellcasting characters may not have it, you should still kill the Imps and release the shades to get protection for your mages and priests. Divine Restoration is also useful in this fight, as it gives quick healing if needed.