SYNERGY LIST: Avernum 5 Items

Synergy

Here once again, to celebrate the release of a fine new SW product, I offer ye'all the gigantimus Items List for Avernum 5.

NOTE: Due to the Forum upgrade, the original list no longer fits in this post, and has been removed. It is available reformatted through the link below.

A5 Items List

-S-

**spoiler** (not that this whole thread isn't): as far as I can tell, there are 4 eyestalks, sorta: the three eyebeats did indeed all drop one each, and there's a further one in the final chests of Redmark's inner fortress (along with a heartstriker bow, not that either is useful at that point).

I went back and played the loyalist ending mostly because there was one area of Dorikas' keep (SE corner, looks to be a throne room or some such?) that I couldn't get into on the first run through, but it was again unavailable - any ideas?

Scuttler eyes drop (sometimes) if you kill one after getting the quest. That 'after' may be important.

I got caught by a similar chain of events with the rockhound-crystals; that one explicitly notes that they'll probably respawn, but I ended up only getting 9 crystals without spending time laboriously revisiting old places.

[Off-topic: doesn't it seem odd that after, for instance, killing Gladwell, the party doesn't find the notes from Solberg that were previously handed to him? Irritating smile ]

Quote:
Originally written by ewan:
**spoiler** (not that this whole thread isn't): as far as I can tell, there are 4 eyestalks, sorta: the three eyebeats did indeed all drop one each, and there's a further one in the final chests of Redmark's inner fortress (along with a heartstriker bow, not that either is useful at that point).
I didn't get eyestalks from Thalon Ten-Eyes near Melanchion's Keep and I killed him specifically so I could makes some more items.

Quote:
I went back and played the loyalist ending mostly because there was one area of Dorikas' keep (SE corner, looks to be a throne room or some such?) that I couldn't get into on the first run through, but it was again unavailable - any ideas?
The throne room opens when you pursue Dorikas as this is the last place he retreats to for help. Maybe you killed him too quickly. Nothing much there and you can't use the loot that you can get there.

Randomizer:

Quote:
The throne room opens when you pursue Dorikas as this is the last place he retreats to for help. Maybe you killed him too quickly. Nothing much there and you can't use the loot that you can get there.
Aha. Yep, that would be it: I was careful to block the apparent retreat route as soon as I got the 'tries to aim for a beter place to make a stand' or whatever text. Thanks.

I liked very much that there was an option to sell Melanchion's egg to Solberg. Neat. Still silly that it then vanished when I killed him without even leaving the room in between ;-)

Quote:
Originally written by Lucidus:
You list a steel spear on the body under the Harston Lowlands, but I found only iron (to my great disappointment). Has this perhaps changed in the newest version of the game?
It was steel originally and then Jeff made it iron since it was too easy to get.

Fixed. I was emailing Jeff about sliths and, as an aside, mentioned the steel spear I found early on in beta testing. He replied, "Oh, that's where I hid that thing. I need to get rid of that!"

Sorry.

Now the earliest you can score one is from the nephil in the Goblin Warrens.

-S-

RANDOM TRIVIA ADDIT: The number of this post is the year in which the first World War was unleashed upon the world.

I'm not sure whether you want to include this kind of detail in your list, but when I attacked Sparks outside Exodus, I let his friends run away and he didn't drop anything. You have to fight all of them (still an easy battle), and then one of his buddies drops the Rat Tail Band, along with some armor and a bow. I didn't catch this until a few hours had passed - it's a decent item at this level but not worth repeating so much of the game.

Oops - I think my fingers must have typed that while my mind was doing something else. His name is Skarp, but again, while he is the only named character in that group, he is not actually the one who drops the ring. Since you are given the option of letting his friends run away before you kill him, people might like to know what that choice will cost them.

• 2 weeks later...

While trying to decide how to spend my precious tinctures and eyestalks, I noticed a couple of trivial errors in the information shown for Brennan in Muck. You have the price of a couple of his crafted items at 500 coins, where he charges a straight 300 across the board; also, the materials needed for the Armor Ring are not listed.

Is this the best way to let you know about these things, or would a private message be more appropriate? For that matter, do you even want to hear this stuff? Playing Jeff's games really brings out the 'obsessive-compulsive' in me; I'm just assuming they affect other people the same way.

(After I originally posted this, I came across another oddity. Brennan's dialog states that the Warmaster Helm requires 4 Focusing Crystals, as your list shows, but he actually only takes 2. I brought him the exact quantities of ingredients he had asked for, and when I opened my inventory afterwards, I was pleasantly surprised to see 2 of the Focusing Crystals still there, next to the helmet.)

There are at least two Mandrake Tinctures in the game that aren't on the list. One's in the Pit of Abominations, in a box in the lich's room. I'm not sure where the other is, but I know that I had 3 in my inventory before reaching the Giant's Spire area, so it must be somewhere before then.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally written by olop4444:
Something to add about the Harston Docks. It can never go hostile. I stole everything there was to steal and killed everyone in the town in an attmept to make the town mad. It failed.
I just tried the same thing, same result. They already dislike us, but don't mind if we rob them blind, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Alcander gives two quests..one for Shafrir and another one for Melanchion's Keep..

The latter's reward is a Grounding Vest..

Solberg gives a Robe of the Magi when you give him a dragon egg..

One quick question..can you still have the Anama Scrolls after you show them to Shafrir? The script tells it so..@_@

Note that I still haven't did any of these..I just looked at the scripts due to curiosity..

• 2 months later...

Hmm, so it seems that maximum post length has been curtailed, and as I re-edited the list, much of it was chopped off. I think I need to repost/recreate this list with each of the eight chapters as a separate post. I'm thinking to just start a new thread with the first 8 posts being the chaptered sections of the list. Anyone got another suggestion?

-S-

Guest Anonymous

There's a maximum post length now? But then how are we ever going to double-post great works of classical literature again?