Avernum 6 Discussion

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it'd be pretty cool having different races at war[like Nephilim, Slith, Humans, Vahnatai] and you start out at different places and follow different storylines based on what race you pick.

Or have a 'freestyle' type plot, similar to Avernum 1 where you start out just trying to survive.

Hey! Somebody's paying attention to my suggestions! I'm happy, now.

Yeah, I like Tcheedchee's notepad idea, too. Also: This one wouldn't work in Avernum but it would work in Geneforge: maybe a camera (a shaped one, of course, since everything in that game is alive)... perhaps there should be an in-game screenshot capability? So I no longer have to compile Word files of screenshots and their descriptions?

Originally Posted By: Rowen
I would like to see a open area like from A1 or A3 where I could walk to amost anywhere. the only thing that gives you a since of direction was that the mosters will kill you if you go to far out to fast. But it gave me that sort of "open rpg" feel when I played them.

Jeff has said that he's not doing that kind of totally open-ended approach anymore, because it's too hard to maintain game balance.

background music (exile 2 for the win)

btw why no background music in the exile 2 file anymore?? =(

oh yea ive sugguested this to Mr. Vogel and he said he didnt think it would happen but....

Avernum: World. MMORPG Avernum?? yea, you know you love it. Like..id [censored] myself if it ever came out...

Originally Posted By: Munchkining Rabbit
I want soul cristals back. Alien Slime, I choose YOU!

Seconded. I love having the upper hand because I brought a basilisk into the mess, even though Ur-basilisks can't be captured.

One more thing: I want a bestiary and scry monster again, as it was pretty useful. (Yet for some reason Erika and Rentar-Ihrno never stayed in the bestiary)

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
One more thing: I want a bestiary and scry monster again, as it was pretty useful.

That was one of my favorite parts of the old games! But I feel like it wouldn't be as nice now that the monster graphics aren't as pretty. Jeff probably got rid of it because there are so many different varieties of monster now (ten different kinds of skeleton instead of two or three). Plus every townsperson now seems to be their own monster. Oh, and I seem to remember Rentar-Ihrno being the one unique character that actually did stay in there, though I could be wrong.

Edit: Silly tags.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not a reply, but a general suggestion.

I just had some other discussions on the forum, where I came to make up the following two suggestions.

1)How about a higher distinction of levels by giving hints in the dialogue box during the fight in level easy, which are partly omitted in level normal and further omitted with rising game levels?

The example I refer to, was a discussion about how to succeed in a fight with the soultaker. – Should there be a hint in the dialogue box about the character being possessed instead of just having been meddled with his mind or not?

It's perfectly reasonable, that more experienced players do not want to be shown hints for solutions which they can realize themselves very soon, whereas unexperienced players might give up the game, just because a little hint is missing. So why not increase the 'subtlety' of the game with the levels, simply by including a few more 'spoken' hints on easy levels an then gradually omitting them?

2)increase the difficulty in mob-fights with the levels of the games, not just the stats…

EDIT:Typo

The problem with putting in a lot of work to differentiate the difficulty levels is that I don't think too many people actually play on difficulties other than Normal. Sure, a lot of regulars on the forums like to play on Torment, but we're a pretty small fraction of Jeff's customer base.

Also, a high proportion of beta-testers are very experienced players who normally play on Torment, so if the game plays very differently on other difficulty levels, he'd have to rope in more testers to make sure that the lower difficulties work correctly. The problem with finding new testers is that they're going to be less reliable than old, trusted ones, so they're more likely to give up halfway through or even leak a copy of the beta to the public.

I don't think we had that many beta testers on torment, at least for the first time through the game. Jeff really wants it to work at normal and the other difficulties are more hopefully they will work.

Still I wanted torment to be harder, but not impossible. If it's a cakewalk on torment then normal should be a breeze.

The point is that the beta testers play more expediently and, in the main, more skillfully than many new players do. Torment may be easy for you but for many players it would be impossible. I'm sure you've seen the posts here from people who found the game very challenging on Normal.

I used to devote much more time to strategic play before I started beta-testing. Now I tend to amble through the world until I get hit by something nasty. That's when I start the thinking. This way I can easily find out what's too easy for me and what's not. It also makes parts of the game quite challenging on normal.