best class for first timer

JZT

I have never played any of the geneforge games. Which class would you recommend as a good class to play the game. I do not want a real difficult challenge. are some classes harder than others if you are not familiar with them. I plan to play on normal difficulty.

I only plan on playing the game once as if i do like the game i will then move on to geneforge 2 and 3.

The Shaper is probably the easiest class; battles can sometimes take longer than with an Agent, but if you let your creations do all the fighting for you there's much less risk of dying. It's also the one that's most characteristically Geneforge-ish; the Guardian and Agent are pretty standard fighter and mage characters.

I agree with everything Thuryl said.

Agents are more difficult at the start, but easier near the end. Guardians are easier at the start, but very difficult later. Shapers are relatively easy throughout the game, if you rely primarily on creatures. (So intelligence skill is shaper's first priority.)

As a shaper, you may also want to invest in healing craft to heal your creations. And sometimes rogues attack your shaper, so you may want to put a point in endurance once in a while.

Oh, and don't forget that melee rogues (like thahds) can't slaughter your shaper if the rogue is trapped behind a wall of your creations. Use that to your advantage.

thanks for the suggestions. I created a shaper. And I made a fyora. I used up all my essence- gave one point to int, dex and endurance. Now there is an essence pool in the beginning of the Abandoned vale section. According to the walkthru it should refill my essence but it does not. And now i am unable to use the heal spell because I do not have enough essence--only have one and need 2. what is going on here. How do i refill the essence. the heal pool I can keep using so why not the essence pool. with the shaper being so weak, i don't want to have to keep walking back to the pool after every battle. one hit and she is on deaths door.

How many creations you make depends on your style of player. I did pretty well with only 2 cryoras for a long time. If you make less creations, you'll have more essence left to bless and heal them and will be getting slightly more expericence. So make as many as you feel you need to win most battles. (Some battles you'll just have to come back later to finish.)

I had a save prior to making the first creation so i restored back as I didn't want to cheat. I made a fyora using just 11 essence as drakefyre suggested so this way I was able to cast 2 heal spells. I also realized I did not have any armor equipped before so that also helped.

i have now leveled up. what stats do you recommend to put into the creatures?

The Seraphim: i am playing at normal difficulty. since it seems like you can change the difficulty on the fly, i can always change it to easy if the need arises.

Thuryl , it never occurred to me to wait until I had enough essence to make another creation. i just thought you would want this one stronger at the early stages in the game. but thinking about it I see what you say makes sense.