What do YOU want to see in G4?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:
A very minor change would be to allow us to customize the colors on our main characters graphic. A minor change.
That is already possible. At least in the windows version.
Well, you can change the main character color. Changing them to color-it-yourself pictures isn't.

Quote:
Originally written by Contra:
We probably won't get to do that. Afterall, Serviles are made because they can thin, talk and operate tools. But we make creations to fight in combat with, so the serviles will never be useful. That is why Jeff won't bother to let us create them.
Well, we could make our serviles the "war-bred serviles." Those guys are pretty tough and can do some nice damage-- I wouldn't mind having one or two on my side.

I was thinking I'd like to see night-time. GF3 has a day-counter that tells me it takes me 150-250 days to finish the game. But what is my little shaper doing every night? I'm not going to a "safe" town where I can rest, so I guess I'm just sleeping on a roadside somewhere hoping no rogues decide I look like a nice midnight snack.

So I'd propose 2 things:

1- make night occur while I'm playing. If there's a counter somewhere keeping track of what day it is, surely something could keep track of what time it is. Then, when I enter an area at night it should be darker. This would make sneaking about easier as view ranges would be reduced. But, if you get caught, it would make combat a bit tougher since you can't see your target(s) real well. Then maybe the Fyora has good night vision and isn't effected much but the Thad stumbles about not knowing what the heck he's trying to hit.

2- perhaps add some random encounters. The type of "While you were sleeping a bandit entered your camp and was trying to steal your money -- what do you want to do?"

OR maybe just pick a few random rogues and have them charge into your camp.

Heck, this could even be a scripted encounter, since there's nothing random in the GF games. So you can have some servile come into your camp at night and either try to kill you or maybe try to warn you about some other serviles who are coming to kill you.

Any thoughts?

That reminds me of one part of Baldur's Gate that I loathed and that basically made me unwilling to put in the effort to finish the game — random encounters traveling from section to another. And while the party rested, I think.

If that gets implemented in GF4, count on me never playing a GF game again.

Actually what you could do is have a night nime where your sight is much shorter but extended if you have a lot of the skill

Vision(which should be in the next game) which extendes sight line. It also works on sight penalties such as snow which we should have.

In the night you should have three options, keep walking, deep sleep which heals you but alows you to get caught aware by bandits and light sleep which heel you slower and gives you knowledge of bandits before they strike and gives you another three options. Keep sleeping, get ready to be attacked or if you have a high woodmens skill(another skill we should have)hide yourself in the surrounding territorey. If you are in a forest it will require less woodsmens skill than if you were trying to hide in a dessert. winklaugh:pwinklaugh:p

I have a few suggestions for Geneforge 4:

1) Multiplayer. A few players condem this but this could offer more oppertunity for modders. This also allows people to own shops, sell creations, become questers, sell anvil and shaper made items, the list goes on.

2) More inventerory options. (Like Altimus said earlier on in the post, maybe a "pack-mule" like creation that carries your things, or maybe in each friendly town you have the option to buy a house or vault like thing.

3)NIGHTTIME!! We have light, y not dark?

4) WEAPON MAKING! Why cant we be able to make our own weapons? There should be and screen quiet like the magic anvil were you combine certain metals, tools and magic spells to create custom made weapons.

I think it would be a good idea to add a bit of improbability to some places. For instance, (inspired by Waylander's idea here )

on a sea voyage from, say, Harmony Isle to Dhonal's Isle, on the boat you get attacked by some rogues, but somtimes on the same voyage that does not happen. It could or could not happen, by chance. Or even by date; if the voyage is undertaken on Day 8 nothing will happen,bt on Day 10 it will happen.

I don't know if anybody's Suggested this yet or not. But I would LOVE to be able to shape thorns I'm always running out. In fact despite haveing 95% hit and doing a lot of damage I'm lucky if my thorns last me ONE zone. Also it would be nice if you could create living tools. Some sort of pack mule type creature would be neat. It'd save me lot of weight and room in my inventory. Recipe components take up a lot of room.

Quote:
Originally written by JadeWolf:
I think it would be a good idea to add a bit of improbability to some places. ..... It could or could not happen, by chance. Or even by date; if the voyage is undertaken on Day 8 nothing will happen,bt on Day 10 it will happen.
I had offered a similar recommendation as far as making the latest GF game much different from prior versions. I see the only problem with improbablility is that Jeff would spend a LOT of time working on a section of game that most won't even get to play due to timing. I don't think he'd want to spend a week on a section that only a small % of folks would get to play...

Further on in the game, I would tend to forget where I leave things and what I have done so far. It would be nice to have a log feature add in the journal section.

Also, how about increasing the max no. of canister using for purist - maybe 9-10 for an easier mode?

I like this G3 more than G2. Traveling from island to island makes the game seem quicker and more accomplished on my part. I don't feel exhausted and bored like I did in G2. If anything G3 seems a bit easier than G2 - for a not-so-good player like me anyway.

i would agree with those who want to see more variety in creations.

for example; worms, crawlers, turrets, pylons, and golems are all types we can never get.

it would also be nice to be able to make the modified creations (ex charged fyoras, the unstable thahd in the infested pathway, domination and submission vlish, battle gamma, warped fyora, etc are all types of creatures we currently can't make, but which already exist)

mines, batons/thorns, spore boxes, living tools, servant minds, etc would also be kinda neat. presumably, they would not be easy to create, of course.

serviles and ornks would also be handy. (for carrying stuff and whatnot). serviles mainly for pro-rebel players of course (since pro-shaper would mean you don't give them weapons, or training in combat).

the pack beast that has been suggested would also be extremely nice (or perhaps, just allowing us to have creations carry stuff for us... i see no reason why a thahd couldn't have a larger backpack too).

however, i would have to say... much of the above would be most useful if they were to make a strategy game based on geneforge, rather than a standard geneforge game.

i for one would also like to see the experience for creations reworked (specifically, based off of the creation's level rather than the character's), and the ability to make fading creations (the ones that are temporary), presumably costing a little less essence, and hopefully also not taking up the player's XP. maybe even possible to create in battle because they don't take as much effort to shape.

• 3 months later...

Lots of good ideas and lots of.. umm.. "not good ideas". Hope none of them gets implemented though, 'cause then it wouldn't be one man's brainchild, the Geneforge, anymore. I pretty much think most of the creating happened in GF1 and 2 and 3 has been just what inevitably followed 1 and 2, and 4 will be obviously what inevitably follows 1, 2 and 3. The world created is living a life of it's own - is basically what I'm trying to say.

A few things I have to note on. Shapers? Everyone on this topic acts like they were some kind of weird race, but aren't they just humans who have been strictly closed to some facility from early childhood to learn The Art of Shaping? I mean, sure they call others humans like they were something else, but to me it seems more like it's an attitude and not some genetical difference. They are Shapers because they became Shapers by years of harsh training that most couldn't do, so they're just the elites of humanity. Eh?

Other than that? I don't see why there couldn't technically be a servile PC. In GF2 I think I remember the Awakened ones using specifically made canisters to shape themselves so they'd become more powerful. Correct me if I remember it wrong. Also (and this I'm sure about), in GF3 there were some servile cultists who summoned creations with weird chants. So I see two ways to allow a servile PC with magic and shaping if the need arises. Though the ideological background proves more challenge in this case.

Also, aren't Sholai just humans who are called Sholai because they are from other continent? Like Europeans are called Europeans because they are from Europe.

I've wanted to see Geneforge so that pretty much all weird creatures are created by Shapers. It makes the game much more exciting when you can think it could, with a little good will, be applied to our own history. Plus that's a more scientifical and logical reason for things like drakons (could call them dragons as well) existing (and for the dragon myths in real history, of course ;D). (Haven't yet delved deep into GF1 so don't know about the history of serviles and fyoras, but if they were beings not originally created by shapers, it would eat some of the foundation from my theory). Anyways, Shapers could be seen as gods, but also just as mere humans. It's an interesting allegory to our present time. Also, it gives a view to the god->creation -relationship. How would you be if you were a god and created something? The question has been asked three times already, and different options to answer it have been given.

Also, I think the paradox of power is interesting. First one needs power to fulfill ideals, but when one has enough power, ideals don't matter. Just the plain power in itself matters. And it calls for more power. It's even scary how the feeling of the game infects the player. Some little villages fighting each other matter not. Some petty "fetch me a few items" -quests matter no more, because there's no gain. Only getting to bigger and better equipped research laboratories and killing more powerful creatures matters, 'cause gain comes from there.

Hope I'm not the only one who actually puts his soul into the game like this. I could be a bit mad.

Oh, and may I point: ornkotaurs? I mean aren't ornks cowlike creatures? The suffix 'taur' means a bull already, so ornkotaurs would be cowlike.. cows. Eh? And the word 'mino' in minotaur comes from the mythical King Minos, so minotaur would basically mean something like "Minos' bull". If you'd like to see powerful, axe-wielding, two legged and intelligent ornks roam the world of GF4, you would have to be more original when thinking of a name. Oh, ignore this last part of my post.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More new monsters to summon with greater variety.

I was hoping in GF3 if I saved the records about how they were making Golems, that I would later be able to make one of my own.

Also I'd like to be able to use others instructions about how to summon and bind Demons, and force control over a Demon to fight for me.

In GF4 I want to see the whole Shaper society wiped out. In the other games you can fight against them and depending on your ending it seems as if you mostly do wipe them out (In GF2 I was a God of a God of a God and could wipe out whole cities with a blink of my eye and had plans to totally remove the Shaper council, but the next game follows along the lines of a different ending than the way I play the game). In GF4, the Shaper council and society and all Shapers should be totally wiped out from the planet.

The reason for this is to pave the way for GF5. I want GF5 to be us reforming the world in our own image. I want GF5 to be where we remake the Shaper council and society ourselves. We go around to other towns, recruiting them and turning the towns to our side, teaching others and gaining apprentices. We find all the lost Shaper powers for ourself and we become the new top dog/leader of the Council. We gain super power and respect and are at the very top of the totem pole instead of being an Apprentice at the very bottom. We can choose how to rebuild the Shapers, we can be a cruel dictator or work for a fair democracy or various other things. But we turn towns to our side and gain pupils and followers, we are the top person instead of the bottom and we totally rebuild the shattered society in the way we see fit.

Since I want to see that in GF5, I need the whole Shaper council and people to be destroyed in GF4.

You'd be the one crushing them though, that's not what you'd want to do for a society you wanted to rebuild because of your admiration for it.

4 would need to be the one where they got crushed. Especially since they say you won't be playing a Shaper, it would be easy to have us be something that was going to destroy the Shaper society. 4 would be based on Crushing, 5 would be based on Rebuilding.

These are just hopes and things as usual though, I don't actually expect things like that to happen just it would be really cool for it to.

It would be even more cool if we had like at least one city where we could customize it ourselves as we built it up. Choose if it's built with stone or wood, shapes and types of buildings, traps that are set up there (even have us get assaulted and have to to a major defence of it sometime with our own set up turrets and stuff). We'd have this one home base city that we could totally customize what happens, or even one that automatically changes based on our actions. If you're more evil the town reflects this somehow, etc.

Now that last part I'm just living in a dream world and going all off imagining stuff, but the earlier stuff about destroying and rebuilding I think could be possible for their storyline that's happening.

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Jeff has to read email -- he gets quite a few registrations that way, for one thing. Whether or not he takes suggestions into account, of course, is another matter entirely.
Many a good sequel has been made from the developers listening to what the fans want and using the best of the feasible ideas.

Quote:
Originally written by CFG:
3) Ability to minimize screen.
I seem to be able to minimise the game OK.

But that could be 'cause I play the Windows version and alt+tab minimises practically everything...

As for ideas for the next GF game: -

Keyboard Shortcuts:
- An "Attack Nearest" key. So many times have I quickly moved my mouse to click on an enemy with one of my ranged attackers and accidently clicked the ground near them instead, so they waste the turn moving instead of attacking.
- A "Pick Up All <Item type>" key. One key to pick up all nearby potions/spores, and another to pick up all nearby crystals, and another to pick up all nearby Living Tools, etc.

Creations:
- Third Tier Creations. I don't appear to be alone in this either, since everyone seems to want their Battle Gamma laugh
- New Creation Types. Just one for each category would still be good, and it was done from GF1 to GF2, so we know it's a possibility.
- Creation Abilities. Make them able to cast bless, heal, cure, curse, haste, etc on other creations/allies/enemies. And limit it in some way, like using up 75% of their energy so they cast it once or twice per battle only.
- Packmule Type Creations. Popular idea it seems, and it's been done in other games (Dungeon Siege anyone?), so it could be possible.

Equipment:
- Weapon/Armour/Jewelry Sets. We've already had a "Horadric Cube" type idea in the form of the Magic Anvil, so why not port another Diablo II type idea into the game? It won't be the first game that's done so.
- Shaped Equipment. Things like tools and batons would be good, but put a limit on how many shaped items you can have at any one time, and a large essence cost. Plus put the ability to do this as a learnable skill at mid-game (a low level character wouldn't have anywhere near the essence required to shape even one of these things, so what's the point of having the skill so early?)

As for plots, I don't have any ideas nearly as imaginative as those that have been suggested already, so I'm not going to bother even trying to come up with something.