Shapers keeping secrets

Khoth: It is reasonable to assume that information can travel by word of mouth throughout a single island, an isolated valley, or even a chain of small islands. But we are talking about an entire world here. As far as I can tell, the geneforge world has not even discovered the printing press, which I give credit to as the reason why democracy worked when the United States was founded.

Micawber: Why would ambassadors want to meet with someone with no political influence whatsoever? This whole concept of dividing the power bugs me. You are greatly hampering effectiveness, and adding excess in the government that simply is not necessary. Obviously there should be a body, such as a council of ministers, that debates things and makes educated recommendations to the highest leadership. But really, there needs to be one person at the top to make sure things actually happen. A single person to manifest the government and its ideas, a person to follow when the call rises.

Nioca: Are you seriously saying that my form of government would not work because my leaders could be poisoned? I hope you realize that all governments’ leaderships are subject to assassinations. If anything, it would be less likely in mine because the rulers got their position through strength and cunning. Then again, I have no qualms about answering a stupid question with a stupid answer. My answer: poison resistance!

Superforge: Thus is the risk that comes with any scientific advancement. A risk I am willing to take.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally by Nioca:

Quote:
You're missing the point. I specifically refrained from saying money. I meant resources such as crystals, essence, manpower/servilepower, etc. If you don't have enough resources to maintain a superforge, then the effort and resources already put into it were wasted.
I seriously doubt that a Tullegolite society would run out of the resources necessary to run the superforge, based on how important it is to the leaders. They would find the resources somewhere, somehow, even if they had to divert resources from other areas, even from areas that also desperately need those resources. I suspect that if it came down to a certain type of crystal in the superforge or for road repairs in the backcountry, the crystals would go to the superforge rather than the roads.

Dikiyoba.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
I suspect that if it came down to a certain type of crystal in the superforge or for road repairs in the backcountry, the crystals would go to the superforge rather than the roads.
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:
Unless I were building a road to a crystal mine.
That's just wrong. laugh
Quote:
Nioca: Are you seriously saying that my form of government would not work because my leaders could be poisoned? I hope you realize that all governments’ leaderships are subject to assassinations. If anything, it would be less likely in mine because the rulers got their position through strength and cunning. Then again, I have no qualms about answering a stupid question with a stupid answer. My answer: poison resistance!
Yes! I am!

Actually, I'm just pointing out the possibilities. Besides, this was an answer to the Carol problem, not your government in general.

Quote:
Micawber: Why would ambassadors want to meet with someone with no political influence whatsoever?
Who said the King would have no influence? They would if they had the power to appoint the President and Prime Minister. Besides, even in the other case, ambassadors queue up to meet the Queen of England, who has no influence whatsoever.

If the King appointed the Prime Minister and the President, then it would be a whole new system. The King would hold a deliciously uneven amount of power, clearly acting as both the head of state and of government. The two appointees would be superfluous.

As for the Queen of England, she is the head of state in the United Kingdom. It is her job to meet with foreign officials while the Prime Minister fills his role as head of government. Since France has a President to be the head of state, there would be no point in having a king as well. The whole point being you only need two chief executives, preferably one, and it wouldn't make sense at all to have three.

Well that is how many company boards actually operate. The shareholders (could be a single majority shareholder, e.g. the founder of the company) appoint the chair & other directors and the company is run for their benefit but they have no executive role. The chair chairs board meetings and has overall responsibility for governance but doesn't run the company day to day. The chief exec is in charge of operational decisions. In the business world it is best practice for the chair and the chief exec to be different people because it avoids too much power being concentrated in one person's hands, which can lead to abuses of power.

The same model can, theoretically, be applied to nations. The king/queen in a sense 'is' the nation, the country is run for their benefit. The president chairs the government in a non-executive capacity. The prime minister makes the day-to-day decisions. As I say this is all theoretical and I don't think there are any countries where this really happens. But I'd still rather live there than in Tullegolania.

Emperor Tullegolar and Co.,

The King who is born into power has to work hard to make himself a beloved figure. He deals with the most public relations, taxes, speeches, rallies, etc. The Prime Minister, who is voted in amongst the House of Represantives, deals with the things that deal with the public, but not directly, controlling the budget, etc. Lastly the President deals with foreign relations, war, diplomacy, aid, etc.

-Goldenking

P.S. Before I forget, the terms are as follows. The King serves until he dies, or if he wants to step down to the the Prince, who must be 20 years or older. If the King dies before the Prince is old enough a well liked former president takes his place. The President serves 5 years. The Prime Minister servers 2 years, and the Representatices serve 4 years.

Micawber: You couldn't handle Tullegolania, anyway. By the way, are we still talking about the geneforge world here? Do you think the geneforge world would be better ruled as a corporation? The Shaper Council has three leaders (as far as we can tell) and they are not doing the best job. I’ll bet it is due to their indecisiveness and lack of passion. These things run rampant when there is a shortage of heroes. I think this whole three leaders deal needs to be scraped, thrown in the pile of failures along with Marxism and the Geneva Convention.

Goldenking: I don’t think you can have one person that deals with public relations and a separate person that deals with foreign relations. Those are both duties of the head of state. Wouldn’t you want the face of your government to meet wit foreign leaders, and wouldn’t the foreign leaders want to meet the face?