Another Pathetic & Premature Geneforge 3 Topic

Icshi

As part of my pathetic impatience for Geneforge 3, I've done some silly calculations based on the first two games to predict some features of 3:

The first Geneforge game had a total of 77 areas, while the second one had 84. If we're lucky, based on this information, there should be about 91 in the third game.

The BIN installer file for the first Geneforge was 12.2 MB, while the second one was 15.3 MB. I therefore tentatively project at least a 18.4 MB BIN file, or maybe even larger since 3 will have an even wider variety of graphics (just look at the screenshots up and you'll get an idea of just how much more there will be). If Jeff keeps this kind of increase up, his site will be hosting 20 MB files before you know it. I've never downloaded a file bigger than 20.9 MB since I use a dinky 56k modem. One of Jeff's largest concerns seems to be to keep his games small enough for poor schmucks like me to download in a timely manner, and I for one hope that this continues to be possible in the future.

These calculations were very clumsily arrrived at, and will undoubtedly be picked apart by more mathematically skilled but equally pathetic persons. Fortunately, this will become a moot point in a few days or weeks so I will escape largely unscathed.

CDs cost a quarter with no case, maybe fifty cents with a case.

CD mailing envelopes cost less than a buck.

Most people aren't going to want or need to pay extra for a CD these days, given the prevalence of fast connections and CD burners among gaming enthusiasts.

Perhaps spiderweb could offer a mailable CD for a nominal fee. Hell--buy the CD and get demo (unlockable) versions of EVERY spiderweb game, there's plenty of room on a CD. I wouldn't get it, but people like you (and others I suspect) might feel it was worth $5.....

Quote:
Originally written by zippy_zaboo:

Perhaps spiderweb could offer a mailable CD for a nominal fee. Hell--buy the CD and get demo (unlockable) versions of EVERY spiderweb game, there's plenty of room on a CD. I wouldn't get it, but people like you (and others I suspect) might feel it was worth $5.....
Spiderweb actually does offer mailable cds. If you look at the order page on the website, theres a checkbox next to each game if you want it on cd.

Quote:
Originally written by zippy_zaboo:
Perhaps spiderweb could offer a mailable CD for a nominal fee. Hell--buy the CD and get demo (unlockable) versions of EVERY spiderweb game, there's plenty of room on a CD.
That's what I've started doing with Ambrosia's newer games like EV Nova. The compressed file is so big I would never try to download it, and it's also nice to get demos of all their other games without bothering with individual downloads. Their demo CDs are more like $10 altogether with the shipping, but that's an acceptable amount of money, all things considered.

Of course, it would be even nicer if Dr. McKay's new compression algorithm (which was demonstrated so well with the Atlantis team's recent message-bundle back home to Earth sent via Stargate from the Pegasus galaxy) became commercially available. Download a compressed file containing the whole internet, at a mere 4.2 MB... Just watch out when you try to decompress it! eek