Geneforge 2 Trainer

xixao

Hmm. Odd. While I can't do much more to assure you that no malware is included in or created by the trainer, I can give you some peace of mind.

Based on the file name and the report in the link you shared, the .dll is used for one of two purposes:

- Spyware or keylogger (Not the case in my software)

OR

- Control for use of HotKeys in trainer (Ctrl + Shift + E for extra Exp, etc.). This is very likely, as my previous trainers used the HotKeys ability, so that you didn't have to switch between windows to activate the cheats. I later removed this feature from my current trainers to prevent conflict with other programs that may be sharing the same HotKeys.

As my trainers are all basically built off each other and share a lot of the same code, it's possible that I left this in the GF2 and A3 trainers. If this is the case, you have absolutely nothing to worry about, as the library would not even be referenced once the trainer has finished loading.

If you still feel uncertain about it, simply delete the .dll once you've finished using the trainer, before moving on to do anything else. If it were at all possible that you've somehow gotten spyware or keyloggers attached to the trainer, this would prevent it from taking any negative action against your system. Spyware must be running in order to operate, same with keyloggers. It can't run if the file has been deleted. Also, by deleting it before doing anything else, it would be impossible for them to transmit any personal information about your activities to anyone.

Trust the trainer, or don't. As I've mentioned, the program is 100% safe. I have no interest in anyone's passwords or the like, and have no reason to distribute malware. I'm completely opposed to those who do, and take every measure to ensure that my software is distributed safely and securely.

- Xix -

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

I've further investigated the origins of the file in question. Here's what I've found:

The file is created by a running process created by various game trainers. It provides quick hotkey support for the trainers. It allows you hot key access to trainer features without flipping screens. Delete it and you lose hotkeys. It has the potential to be used malicously if the software creator writes it to do so. If you only show h@tkeysH@@k.dll and hotkey.dat you probably have a legitimate use version. Suggestion: scan system anyway if you find it, but don't delete the dll if you need the hotkey support.

The above quote is taken from www.2-spyware.com, and was rewritten for clarity. As you can see, the use directly matches the explanation I gave concerning the use of HotKeys. The file is detected as Spyware because it has the potential of becoming a keylogger, if written properly. Most firewalls will detect if any personal information is being sent out over the internet, and warns against or blocks the activity.

If you still want to be sure, go ahead and follow the instructions below. It will not affect the trainer's performance, as the use of HotKeys was removed. These instructions were also taken from www.2-spyware.com:

H@tKeysH@@k manual removal:

Kill processes:

temp#01.exe, temp.exe, temp#01.exe, temp.exe

Unregister DLLs:

h@tkeysh@@k.dll, h@tkeysh@@k.dll

Delete files:

h@tkeysh@@k.dll, temp#01.exe, temp.exe, h@tkeysh@@k.dll, \temp#01.exe, temp.exe

Misc:

Installs when opening Misc. Game "trainers". See "User Comments"

-----

If I had any intention of infecting you with Spyware of any kind, I would not go through the trouble of telling you how to kill it wink Keep that in mind.

Best of luck,

- Xix -

[EDIT]

I've just launched the trainer, and opened my Task Manager. The file temp.exe is nowhere to be found. The .dll in question is legitimate.

For the record, I accept that your intentions are entirely benign. I wasn't suggesting you were spying on anybody and I'd like to make it clear I do not believe that or even suspect it.

However the fact that this file is created on every run, and that it provides functions that can be used by keyloggers, creates an unwanted backdoor into my system.

So I'd like to go back to my original question (rephrased now that I have more information): given that this library is not being used by the trainer, is it possible for you to rebuild the trainer without including the library?

I would have no problem doing that, but as mentioned in a previous post, my hard drive failed shortly after the completion of this trainer, and midway through the creation of the BoA trainer. For this reason, I do not have the files to modify. I'm very sorry.

You didn't experience this with the A3 trainer, am I correct?

[EDIT]

I took a look at the trainer in a resource hacker, and discovered deleted code in which I had specified HotKeys for the various cheats (Ctrl + 1, Ctrl + 2, etc.). Even though the controls were removed, they were still a part of the original compilation, and became embedded in the final product. The .dll remains dormant throughout the entire process. The only libraries that are actively used are:

- WINMM.dll

- MSVFW32.dll

- AVIFIL32.dll

- KERNEL32.dll

- USER32.dll

- GDI32.dll

- comdlg32.dll

- WINSPOOL.DRV

- ADVAPI32.dll

- SHELL32.dll

- COMCTL32.dll

To see it yourself, open the file in any Disassembler program. It will list all imported modules and their functions within the program. This is the best way to assure yourself of the safety of the trainer.

Quote:
Originally written by xixao:
I would have no problem doing that, but as mentioned in a previous post, my hard drive failed shortly after the completion of this trainer, and midway through the creation of the BoA trainer. For this reason, I do not have the files to modify. I'm very sorry.
Oops, I'd forgotten! Sorry to hear about that.

Quote:

You didn't experience this with the A3 trainer, am I correct?
Yes, that's right.

I have decided to begin using HotKeys again in future trainers. This way, no one will have to worry about what the .dll is doing in the background, as it will be apparent that it is handling the HotKey combinations. To create a .dll to handle these actions while maintaining a keylogger status is, to my knowledge, impossible. This should dissolve any doubts anyone may have on the safety of my programs. I hope this lets some of you rest easier.

- Xix -

It's not that easy. Go download almost any trainer available on the web. They all use this same file. It's pretty universal. For this reason, it's best to include a trusted use of the library, rather than exclude it, and break the functionality of it. My trainers are stable. I'd rather not start ripping code out of it unnecessarily.

Quote:
Originally written by inaweirdworld:
OK, I got Genforge 2 from realarcade and I can't seem to get this editor to work. Is it because I got it from real arcade? Please help! confused
Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
If you're using a copy of Geneforge purchased from RealOne Arcade, the trainer won't work.
there you go sorry frown

EDIT: try downloading the demo from spidweb use the editer save game move it to your registered game and play there hey it might just work smile

Quote:
If you're using a copy of Geneforge purchased from RealOne Arcade, the trainer won't work.

EDIT: try downloading the demo from spidweb use the editer save game move it to your registered game and play there hey it might just work smile
Absolutely correct. Thank you smile

I plan to remake the trainers for those using Real Arcade. I cannot guarantee whether or not this will work, or if it's even possible, but it is on my to-do list.

- Xix -

Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely correct. Thank you smile

I plan to remake the trainers for those using Real Arcade. I cannot guarantee whether or not this will work, or if it's even possible, but it is on my to-do list.

- Xix -
do you think a windows save game would work on a mac version of the game ????????????????????

Quote:
do you think a windows save game would work on a mac version of the game ????????????????????
Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not. Probably not.

That's one answer for every damn question mark you typed, you cretin. Do you lack the mental acuity to lift your finger off the keyboard before the key you typed starts repeating?

• 4 weeks later...

Problem is PC's are cheaper.so more people tend to get them.EVen when they know PC's are JUNK WHEN THEY'VE JUST BEEN MADE!!!!!!!

so In other words.Macs get good games first because they are more Decent and PC's get things like this because nearly everyone is goddamn stupid enough to think they're good!

PC'S ARE JUNK WHEN THEY'VE JUST BEEN MADE!!!!!!!

Secret Code Message:ÏËÇ? ?Ç'Í!!!!

Who's Jeff?

And BTW, I own a PC because I choose not to own a Mac. I have had a Mac (which I gave away), and hated it. OSX is not my thing, and the way Macs are built disgusts me. Sorry.

I own a PC that I built from scratch. It has a 4.8 Ghz P4 w/ hyper-threading, dual BIOS, 1.3 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 video card, SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card, custom-cut case with see-thru panel, a sound system that will beat most custom car stereos, sound-responsive blue neon tubes... Ah, you get the picture.

You wanna talk about PCs being cheap, talk to the people who buy Dell products... Mine is most certainly the farthest thing from cheap...

While I'm not too keen on shooting PC-makers, I'm all for the idea of joining the crowd waiting outside Gates's place wink

And, yes. Hawk King is every Mac owner's savior smile

...three cheers for Xix...? wink j/k

PS - Xixao was my hacker alias long before I knew about Xiao-Xiao (or however it's spelled). Great movies, but not great enough to merit my name being created in their honor. Xixao is my sole online identity, and will remain so long after the Flash movies have drifted into the void of eternal nothingness, hidden in the place where forgotten things are lost...

Quote:
While I'm not too keen on shooting PC-makers, I'm all for the idea of joining the crowd waiting outside Gates's place wink

...three cheers for Xix...? wink j/k

PS - Xixao was my hacker alias long before I knew about Xiao-Xiao (or however it's spelled). Great movies, but not great enough to merit my name being created in their honor. Xixao is my sole online identity, and will remain so long after the Flash movies have drifted into the void of eternal nothingness, hidden in the place where forgotten things are lost...
Quote:
i am ? cool cool

Quote:
Originally written by JadeWolf:
Stormlord you are my buddy too; hawk king has been for a long time.

The crowd has now got inside and is wrecking the plac looking for Gates laughlaugh
Man am i popular or what ? I wonder why my karma is so low then ?

Quote:
Originally written by hawk king:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally written by hawk king:
Man am i popular or what ? I wonder why my karma is so low then ?
I got your back, man. 5 Stars from me wink
haha i am popular ha ya laugh

but why confused
Perhaps it is because you don't use proper capitalisation and punctuation? Some people can be really particular about those. (I've heard that one place even bans people for that!)

Quote:
Originally written by Faizah:
Perhaps it is because you don't use proper capitalisation and punctuation? Some people can be really particular about those. (I've heard that one place even bans people for that!)
I'm sensing some hostility... Is that really necessary?

I blame the schools... come, tell me about your childhood...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally written by Faizah:
I'm sensing some hostility... Is that really necessary?

I blame the schools... come, tell me about your childhood...
Hostility?

I'm just saying that some people (not necessarily myself) can be strict about that sort of thing. I've never run into trouble over it, and never caused trouble over it. I have, however, seen people get quite upset about it.

EDIT: Corrected unclear phrasing.

Quote:
Originally written by JadeWolf:
S

The crowd has now got inside and is wrecking the plac looking for Gates laughlaugh
I'm in... laugh

There he is!

The rampaging mob runs up the stairs and flows through the offices like a tidal wave, knocking windows to pieces with unbreakable, light and very handy IMac comps and throwing the clerks and developers outta the window. Gates, standing alone in his office, fifty high security stories above the bloodshed, thinks:
"I am defeated. Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die every day. I think I'll choose to die once, thank you..."
and jumps out of the window. Unfortunately a hapless AirBag saves him so he can start a new business... MicroOven... selling microwave ovens that sport Windows XP, which of course makes them useless.

Oh, and by the way, I was gonna say something interesting now to save my hapless karma but I just forgot it. shocked
Well, my karma won't be hapless if too much Loyalists of the MicroSoft Council dont read this.

Cya, I'm too tired to write any more, since all of this made no sense I'll - yawn - *falls over with a loud thump*

I've been wondering this myself. I can honestly say I don't know. Anyone else out there think they can take on this challenge? If so, let me know and I'll send you what I've got.

By the looks of things, Windows users will have a GF3 trainer before Mac users get GF2's. I'm trying to keep that from happening.