Windows Vista 32 and 64 compablity with Spiderweb Products

-=microphage=-

I am running Vista as we speak (32 bit). All spiderweb games work. That's all. For the avoidance of doubt, this includes Exile 1, Exile 2, Exile 3, Blades of Exile, Nethergate, Avernum 1, Avernum 2, Avernum 3, Blades of Avernum, Avernum 4, Geneforge 1, Geneforge 2, Geneforge 3, Geneforge 4 and Nethergate: Resurrection.

The only remotely tricky thing is the installation; a prompt appears after the first attempt at installation asking if you would like to re-install using compatability mode. I recommend you accept the prompt for trouble-free gaming.

Quote:
Originally written by Micawber:
I am running Vista as we speak (32 bit). All spiderweb games work.
The only remotely tricky thing is the installation; a prompt appears after the first attempt at installation asking if you would like to re-install using compatability mode. I recommend you accept the prompt for trouble-free gaming.
Also running in 32-bit Vista. I had no trouble with installation, but I did have to run E1-E3, BoE, A1-A3, and (I think) BoA in compatibility mode. For reading the help files in the older games, you may need to download a patch from microsoft.

• 4 weeks later...
Quote:
Originally written by Redstart:
64-bit Vista here. No problems, at least with the newer games. I've understood that Nethergate (the original) and earlier games won't work.
A friend of mine says that if it will run in compatability mode with Vista 32 it should with 64. No way to verify this as he doesn't have any of the games mentioned. But I'm thinking that he may be right as the same game names keep coming up for 32 and 64.

Anyone able to confirm?

I downloaded Exile 1, Exile 3 and Nethergate (the original). The first two would not run, not even in compatibility mode, but Nethergate installed and started just fine. Based on that, games running the Nethergate/Avernum engine or newer will probably work on Vista x64. I guess it's possible to get the Exiles to run with some OS trickery, but I wouldn't know how.

Hi people,

it's been a long since the latest time I came on these forums...

I've suddenly thought again of Spiderweb and would be interested to register a few games (I have Avernum 1, 2 and 3) now. That reminds some good memories...

But could someone please confirm that the Exiles work under Vista? I remember playing these fascinating old games on the Mac and would find exciting to play them again

Quote:
Originally written by Zkal:
Hi people,

it's been a long since the latest time I came on these forums...

I've suddenly thought again of Spiderweb and would be interested to register a few games (I have Avernum 1, 2 and 3) now. That reminds some good memories...

But could someone please confirm that the Exiles work under Vista? I remember playing these fascinating old games on the Mac and would find exciting to play them again
Quote:
Originally written by Micawber:
I am running Vista as we speak (32 bit). All spiderweb games work. That's all. For the avoidance of doubt, this includes Exile 1, Exile 2, Exile 3, Blades of Exile, Nethergate, Avernum 1, Avernum 2, Avernum 3, Blades of Avernum, Avernum 4, Geneforge 1, Geneforge 2, Geneforge 3, Geneforge 4 and Nethergate: Resurrection.

It appears that all the games including Exile work fine with Vista 32 bit. If you have 64 you may be out of luck.

My buddy with Vista 64 is working 10 hour days 6 days a week. I'll ask him to download the trials and see if he can figure out how to get them to work. Or hopefully someone here will spot this and enlighten the rest of the Vista 64 OS people.

You may consider partitioning and a dual boot for an older OS. There is an added risk with dual boot setups as if something fails (like your hard drive) or you get zapped by malware in your partition table it's usually impossible to repair. If you want those games enough and you don't mind running a RAID array or at least weekly backups to dvd or a removable drive it can be a nightmare. (Been there, done that, didn't like it!)
Norton Rescue is good. I like using Ghost with dvd support. I'm assuming Track 0 is still where Microsoft keeps the partition data with Vista. There should be some freeware by now that will allow Track 0 backup and restore. Forget System Restore. I got hit by a malware bomb with multiple payload once that corrupted ALL my restore points. Total format and reinstall was only fix that would let me sleep! (grin)

For now I'm sticking with XP. But I have to admit that I'd like to finally use a 64 bit OS and see what at least 1 my 3 64 bit capable machines would do with a true 64 bit OS.

I'm having a problem with my saved games in Geneforge 4 in Vista. All my saved# folders only contain a 4 byte file called temp. I cannot find where my saved games are.

It's not in the usual \user\appdata\ area, where my Avernum and Geneforge 3 saves area at.

can anyone tell me if it put them somewhere else?

Quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:
A much easier option than dual-booting would be running a virtual machine in a program like VMware .
Easier? Yes. Cheap? No.

This is a great overall solution. VM (Virtual Machine) contrasted with VD (Virtual Disk) is an awesome ability.

If you are comfortable with use of BIOS settings you can run a different OS for each drive by selecting boot priority for a particular drive in BIOS setup. This even works with a 4gb USB thumb drive. Set boot priority and it will only boot from USB drive if it's plugged in! No changing BIOS settings over and over.
microphage

If this doesn't make sense to you, don't do it.

Edit: Note... There are 3 (or more) versions of NTFS which may or may not allow you to access all hard drive(s) space when using boot order method. My old Win98SE machine (FAT32) doesn't even see an NTFS drive. With XP, NTSF and FAT32 are compatable. Can't speak on 2000, NT, or Vista as I don't have them.