How many new sects you expect to see in GF3 ?

There are 3 sects in the first one, 4 in the second one. So in GF3 I expected that there should be 5 or more new sects that you could join in GF3. More new sects mean more plots. So how many sects do you prefer in GF3?

I know this topic only make you more impatience for the release of GF3, but my advice for you is to play other Spidweb 's games in the mean time.

Icshi: I like your idea that a sect splits up into two different ones, maybe depending on the palyer's choices throughout the game.

Well, a fifth sect could be the Council. Not a rebel Shaper, not just a Shaper who's there on behalf of the council. I mean a branch of the actual Shaper Council (maybe asking for the Council itself is too early and too much at this time)

Another sect could be another group from that world. We know about the Scholai, but I bet there are other people in that world that are not aligned with the Shapers. Only that this time instead of being castways who used too many canisters, they are simply exploring that part of the world. Maybe like a "phantom menace" type of deal. They don't play a heavy role in the plot (they still play their part) but their importance is more in their omnious nature.

Icshi: I like your idea that a sect splits up into two different ones, maybe depending on the player's choices throughout the game.

I think that 5 sects would be very interesting, and would provide more different edings to the game.

I can already think of 2 sects: Litalia' s rebels and the lawful Shapers.

Quote:
Originally written by buried spelunker cowry:
Could there be a sect per Island?
That's a very interesting idea. That would make it easier for each sect to guard their own territory. Water between islands, just like rivers and forests, make excellent natural borders.

How many islands are there going to be? Five? So five sects maybe?

Maybe some sects are more powerful than the others simply because they claimed the larger islands first?

Interesting!

I thought it couldn't be one per island, but then realized that the reason I thought that was that I was thinking you would proceed through the islands in order, and not go back much to previously cleared islands. But actually there is no good reason to expect this, so I guess it could be one per island. Certainly there have not previously been sects based close to each other, so it would be hard to have two based on the same island. There could certainly be more than one sect operating to some extent on any one island, though.

I agree with Icshi that more than five sects would be too complicated. We've got to have an Awakened sect, because they are one of the moral poles of the game. There also have to be some kind of Taker descendants, since there is the Taker creature left over from G2. Since we're starting in Shaper territory, there should certainly be Loyalists around. So that's the three from G1 that have to be carried on.

Somebody has to be making canisters that the player can use, and neither Takers nor Awakened are likely to do that (since Serviles and Drakons aren't going to be using the same kinds of canisters). Loyalists say No to canisters. So there needs to be a fourth canister-making sect, although I don't expect Barzahl to have survived. Then there is Litalia, possibly representing a fifth sect, but possibly a Taker or Awakened partisan. Her reference to justice doesn't sound very Barzite.

So I figure four or five. I guess five would seem like more of an upgrade from G2, so my final answer is five, with Litalia as the fifth.

Quote:

so my final answer is five, with Litalia as the fifth.
I am guessing that Litalia represents either the Barzites, or the Sholai. Think about it carefully...

Why would the Awakened or Takers want to recruit you? Sure, they wanted to recruit you in GF 1 and GF 2, but that was only when they were SURE that you were pro-servile. In GF 3, you start off as an anti-servile student loyal to the shapers, so I seriously doubt that the Awakened would trust you enough to recruit you.

The Sholai are a 'phantom presence'. They weren't in GF 2, which makes me wonder what they have been doing during that time. We have a warrior people who have discovered new land, and new magic. Like the Shapers, they will be arrogant, and seek to conquer it.

What would be interesting is that the Shaper Council is faced with a dilemma. The only way to fight the Takers is to use the canisters to empower themselves. This could cause a split in the Shaper Coucil.

Quote:
Originally written by Waylander:
What would be interesting is that the Shaper Council is faced with a dilemma. The only way to fight the Takers is to use the canisters to empower themselves. This could cause a split in the Shaper Coucil.
Shortly after Geneforge 2 came out, I had hoped that a subsequent game would confront the Shaper Council with this very situation, and their need to defend themselves would be so dire that they dig up the forbidden research from Sucia Island and build themselves a new Geneforge...

Surely we couldn't be so lucky as to have this situation in GF3? That would be a fantastic story!

Here's a nightmarish thought: not in this GF, but in a later one there are multiple Geneforges. Nowhere near as prevalent as the canisters (in that case we would be dealing with a game on the god scale, which wouldn't be that bad. A post apocalyptic world were all that is left are abusers of geneforge forging and destroying the world as they see fit. . . okay. never mind)

I would like to see more of the council. I'd like a future GF to take place in a part of the world heavily influence by the Council where the sects that are against it need to work very quietly. (So far in the first two the sects were very open about what they were about. There were some hidden groups, granted, but they didn't play that big a role in the story, I think)

Whatever that fifth sect is, I hope it is a new concept to the game (the Barzites provided a new dimension, for example)

Quote:
Drakefyre wrote:
One - you're all going to be very surprised.

Two - GF4 is supposed to take place on Terrestria.
Cool. This is the kind of neat thing that enlivens the day. Indeed.

And, at the risk of being redundant, repeating what Wizard said:

Terrestria?

(is the the name of the world? the name of the continent where the Council is? Another world through a portal? Man, I think this is going to be the best GF game (I won't say the best SpidWeb game because that's a tough one but. . . who knows?)

Cool.

I'm guessing the Sholai won't be appearing in this game. I don't believe that any of the explorers that ever landed on succia island ever got back. They came in 3 ships, two of which were destroyed, and the last of which I believe is the ship you take off the island. Of course it would be possible for them to build more ships, but when the shaper council sends a team to investigate I really doubt that the Sholai would have survived. A few of the intelligant servials were saved, but any of the outsiders still present on the Island would certinally be killed. If none of the Sholai got back to there home I doubt any more Sholai would head for shaper lands, as the disaperance of the first expidition either suggests they ran into a great danger, or they found nothing and just starved to death on the open sea.

But I could easily have been missing a few hints that suggest otherwise expecially since I haven't completed GF 2 yet.

Surprised, and how. Turns out, Barzahl gave up personal augmentation when he realized that his mastery of the 'canister' technology would allow him to totally dominate the personal fragrance industry. "Litalia" is his new line of longer-lasting all-over body spray.

Litalia.

For a man. Or a woman. Or a vlish.

Quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:
One - you're all going to be very surprised.

Two - GF4 is supposed to take place on Terrestria.
Could it be that Geneforge 3 takes place in the Sholai homeland? That could be cool, and it would mean that they would have to make an apearence in Geneforge 3.

Drakey -- you're *SUCH* a tease!!

C'mon, be a sport...label it a spoiler for all those (more restrained) Geneforge fans who want to wait...

How are we expected to sit here and take it? March 28th -- not much left of the month before Jeff misses his projected relief month. You could placate the angry hoards with just a tiny taste of what we've got coming!

Have mercy! (trying to keep my Geneforge-withdrawal-induced tremor from impairing my typing...)