Graphic issues

Human Flotsam

Hello.

Running OS X (Leopard) on a MacBook Pro. Avernum 4 and Geneforge 4 worked fine until I upgraded to Leopard. Now, when I start either game, I get 4 or 5 multi-colored lines that run horizontal across the screen the whole time. Then, when I quit the game, my Dock icons are all fuzzed out. My computer is fully up-to-date. Is this maybe a compatibility issue with Leopard?

Thanks for any help with this issue.

I'm about to post this in its own forum, but I wanted to make sure you saw it.

Avernum 4 and Geneforge 4: Rebellion Graphics Problem With Leopard

When playing Avernum 4 and Geneforge 4: Rebellion on some Intel-based Macs using the Macintosh OS X Leopard, horizontal bands of corrupted pixels will be visible on the screen. This problem has been seen on other applications in Leopard. This thread on the Apple support forums discusses the problem.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5653464

We are looking into the problem and searching for a fix or workaround. Hopefully, the problem will be solved in the next Leopard update. We are working on it in the meantime. Until then, the game appears to be fully playable. We apologize for the problem.

- Jeff Vogel

The problem appears to be exclusively with the Universal versions on Intel Macs using Leopard. I think I have a way around it, but it'll take some testing and effort. Since to problem doesn't actually affect gameplay, my plan is to wait and see what OS X 10.5.1 brings.

- Jeff Vogel

I've done some more looking into this problem on my MacBook Pro, and it turns out that whatever Apple did to Rosetta that enables the older Spidweb games to run at full speed also affected the older PPC only apps in BoA, A4, G4, and N:R. So, you can run the games just fine with the older app instead of the universal binary. It seems sort of backwards, but it works just fine, since it is only the Intel apps that have the weird lines.

Quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:
I've done some more looking into this problem on my MacBook Pro, and it turns out that whatever Apple did to Rosetta that enables the older Spidweb games to run at full speed also affected the older PPC only apps in BoA, A4, G4, and N:R. So, you can run the games just fine with the older app instead of the universal binary. It seems sort of backwards, but it works just fine, since it is only the Intel apps that have the weird lines.
Yes, that's what I imagined when I read this thread.