Exile 2 code problems

Tchanz

Sups peeps. New to the this set of forums. Sometime in 1997 my father bought a 2 disk set of over 1k Windows programs. On there was Exile 2. Never knew it existed till that time. Played Exile, beat it. Great game. But The Exile 2 that I played wasnt the full version. So after a few years, couple game systems blah blah blah, someone mentioned Exile 2 and I thought..OMG..I want that game back. So I went looking and found the home site www.spidweb.com, downloaded it. but it's still not the full version. Said something on the site that if you register it you get the full version. Well, my problem is. The registeration key code that was given to me from the downloading it isnt a valid code.

Can someone please help me?

No, I didn't. And correct me if i'm wrong, but the game game out in the late 90's. It's old, graphically outdated and you're selling it for $25, the bundle for $35. I can buy a new Nintendo Gamecube for that much. Why pay so much for such a small sized game such as any of the Exile games. I mean sure, yeah, they're good and all..But $25 for a 8mb game? come on...

The code you see generated when you hit the register button is NOT the reg code. It goes on the order form when you buy the game.

As for the price... I recently bought a different one, Geneforge, from this site. It is fantastic. I have also downloaded many other demos and I am planning on getting either the Exile or Avernum set. Yes, the graphics may be outdated, but from what I have seen in playing these games the money spent is well worth it to me. If it does not seem worth it to you, that is your call. These are decidedly RPG'er games and not necessarily for those who want better graphics. I played mostly roguelike games with ascii graphics for a long time so Exile, Avernum, etc are real eye candy for me. I guess, to answer in a few words, yes, it is worth the $.

Ef: I posted a question regarding Avernum vs Exile in a different thread. As they are the same plots, I guess, why do you say Exile is better? I am leaning that way having tried both demos. Just curious as to your opinions. Thanks.

John

If the graphics bother you, try the Avernum games. They do have the same plots, with a few added quests and towns, but the viewpoint has become isometric. Still, if you're looking for brilliant graphics, Spiderweb is probably not for you.

—Alorael, who would like to point out that one can buy a more mainstream computer game for about $50. For half the price you get a game that really is just as large in area and playing time, but less graphics- and sound-intensive (so yes, the download is smaller).

The graphics dont bother me. I still play the reg 8 bit which is only 4 bit graphic Nintendo. What i'm getting at, is think of it this way. the game came out about what, 5 years ago or so. It's the same price. Over time a game should depreciate in price, not stay the same. Especially when better games by the company comes out. Playstaion 2 games, cost about $50 or so when first released. But look at the older Ps2 games, as low as $19.95. Not to mention the old Playstation games which you can find ranging from $5 - $17. Now, if it was the time of the realse of the game, the price is not a bother at all. But why pay so much for such an old game?

You have a good point. Why pay for an old game with crummy graphics when you can get the same game with better interface and graphics? Becuase Spiderweb is a small company and Jeff has to get money one way or another. If you want to get the new games for free, test them. If you have a Mac and time on your hands, I believe you can beta-test Geneforge 2.

I understand your point. Many games do start out at $50 or so and later you find them in the bargain bin for $10 (Like Planescape Torment as part of a 2 pack for $9.96 at Wal-Mart). I guess it all comes down to "is it worth it to me". To me they are decidedly worth it as they are to many others. I bought Geneforge already and I am waiting for payday to get the Exile trilogy on CD. I have been playing the demo and really think it is worth the money.

Seems as if Jeff isnt that big of a business man. If he could mass produce the game (which more than likley he has) it'll lower to overall cost of making the game. The more copies he makes, sell them for less and more and more people will be tempted to buy them. Think of it like this. It's better to make 100 things of something, and sell each one at $10 a peice..rather than to sell one of that same item for $100. The more you mass produce something..the more likleyhood of people are to buying it. Simply for, the more you mass produce something, the cheaper it is to make that item in the long run.

After programming the games, Jeff's costs are rather low. When you register, unless you order the CD and pay extra for it, he spends only the short time it takes to process your order, not any money. So mass production doesn't really help him.

—Alorael, who also believes the Exile games started out more expensive than they are now, so they have depreciated. The Avernum games were just made at the same lowered price. And all the games are currently on sale, so if you're going to buy, do it soon.