Geneforge 2 Sects you can join

ginger8445

Loyalists = Dirt cheap Tier 1 to Tier 3 creations (including Create Drayk).

Awakened = Level 7 spells early in the game. Access to a few extra merchants and minor quests.

Barzites = Access to Tier 4 creations and Level 7 spells, a few minor quests, and 7 extra potent canisters.

Takers = Able to negotiate Taker lands and take their stuff for free, access to one extra minor quest, the Puresteel Soulblade, a wandmaker, and a cool joinable glowing drayk.

• 5 months later...

I vaguely remember by crazy-ass play-through of G2 and here is how it roughly went.

I killed all of the sects leaders, and just about anyone in the game who could actually fight back. Random people and livestock that had no use I left alone. I mostly avoided killing town guards too. I had no interaction with the Geneforge, and minimal with the Drakons. I just wanted to finish the game fast and the ending was annoying me.

After I finished I got and ending that paraphrased seemed like I more ore less joined the shaper-council. I was insanely powerful and had used tons of canisters, but the council though I was loyal to them, and was a powerful ally.

Using canisters does effect your ending no matter what you do. It probably said something about the Shapers trusting you a bit less because of them. Otherwise, it makes sense that you got the Shaper ending, since to them every single person living in the Valley was technically a traitor to them, even the Loyalists.

That's the so-called 'non-aligned' ending, which is similar to the Loyalist ending except for a few lines about how the Council is pleased that you killed Zakary, since he was a corrupt traitor as far as they are concerned. There's one very determined Shaper that you can meet somewhere, who will mention that a true Shaper would simply kill the top Takers, Barzahl, and Zakary. (I believe he says that the Awakened can safely be left alone to wither on the vine, though it's hard to see how he could say this if he had met Tuldaric. Anyway, you do not have to kill Pinner to 'win' as non-aligned.)

I believe this is the only in-game indication you get that there is a successful path through the game without joining any sect.

The very determined Shaper is Aodare, and he tells you to slaughter the valley and kill everyone who has violated Shaper laws, including Barzahl, the rogues, and the drayks. He doesn't mention Zakary specifically, contrary to my memory, except for an ambiguous reference to "the leaders" that could easily not include him. The Loyalist camp has the people who say the Awakened can be ignored, but they don't tell you to kill Zakary either. As far as I can tell no one suggests that except Barzahl. Huh...

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
Aw, what's not sane about the Awakened? And the Loyalist only seem sane because since they are in power they get to dictate what is normal. Oppression of other sentient beings is not normal to me, though.

I never said the Awakened weren't sane; in fact, they seem to be the only ones who don't want to change/maintain the status quo through major warfare. I certainly don't mind that they want rights, but I never really saw that happening. I only do minor stuff against the Awakened in G2, and never enough to get on their bad side. I even do some missions for them. Other than that, I pretty much leave them alone.

As for the Loyalists, I like them mainly because they offer a lot of training.

The Takers and Barzites, however, are far too violent and narrow-minded for my tastes.

I think the awakened are fools to think that the shapers will allow them to live. They are right for wanting rights but shapers will not allow what they call rogue creations to have them. Personally, i would like Zakary ally the awakened and kill the takers and Barzites. That seems like the only path that leads away from having barzhal with ridiculous powers or drayks with ridiculous powers released upon the land.

The loyalists would have to ally one side or be consumed, and they would most likely ally the Awakened/Zakary because they are less power hungry and are trying to destroy the even more rogue Barzites/Drayks/Takers. Zakary/Awakened is the lesser of the two evils to them.

The Awakened actually didn't think the Shapers would let them live, that's why they create a huge drakon army for protection in their ending. But yeah, it would be nice if the Shapers would give the serviles freedom and equality in exchange for helping them fight off the drakons, then the best of both sides would win.

But yeah, it would be nice if the Shapers would give the serviles freedom and equality in exchange for helping them fight off the drakons, then the best of both sides would win.

That's the sort of ending I envision. The Awakened get their in with the Rebellion becoming the greatest threat to everything good and holy. They offer firepower and tactics in exchange for a treaty, and the two sides live out in... well, maybe not harmony, but cordial coexistence, anyway. Eventually, Awakened ways start to rub off on the Shapers, and they all live happily ever after. Happily being relative to the stuff happening now.

I would guess that in order for the Shaper regime and thought patterns to change, some sort of external force would need to intervene. Simply joining forces with the human & servile Rebels to fight a common enemy -- the Drakons -- isn't quite enough. After all, that sort of convenient partnership didn't exactly foster great relations between the U.S. & the Soviet Union.

So... enter the Sholai?

Why not an internal force? A sympathetic Shaper Councilor for example? After all, the old ways failed, I could see radicals gaining some power as the people and the army loses confidence in the conservatives.

I'm not sure where you were going with your analogy, the US and USSR never really reconciled, and there was no external force. The US just... won. Right?

My point with the U.S. & U.S.S.R. was that they fought on the same side in WW2 to defeat Germany, and then settled into a cold war which could very well have led our poor, innocent parents into WW3. In other words: Convenient partnerships don't make friends.

I suppose there could be a civil war among the Shapers that could overthrow the current regime, but... at a time when the Shapers are fighting desperately to reinstate control over extremely dangerous powers? If you and I were in that situation and wanted to overthrow the shapers: I think you'd agree we'd both wait until the war ended, because we'd have the same concern in mind: bottling up the chaos that has been unleashed by the Drakons and the rebels.

Also, there's not really any indication at all in G4 of any sort of nascent schism among the Shapers. There're the Trakovites, but they're not Shapers.

To Evnissyen:

On your first point, I suppose that makes sense. Still, propaganda was a big factor in the Cold War. REmove that, and you would have serviles and humans fighting along side each other, respecting each other, and they could very well end up as friends after the Rebellion is defeated.

On the second point, I must humbly disagree. I think that losing a war causes people to search for others to blame. This is a perfect environment for insurrection.

On the last point, there was at least one Shaper that resorted to using canisters, hinting that a Barzite-like faction might be a possibility. Still, you are right, as of Geneforge 4, no signs of servile sympathizers among the ranks of the loyalists as of yet. frown

The Awakened actually didn't think the Shapers would let them live, that's why they create a huge drakon army for protection in their ending.

And I think it's also the only ending I've found that doesn't wipe the Awakened off the map.
Originally Posted By: Felix Yeung
Staying neutral is the hardest.

How true it is, especially with the "Everyone not for us is against us" attitude dominant in some of the sects. The more you ride the fence, the harder it is not to be knocked off by everyone throwing rocks at you.