What's Wrong With My Dialogue?

Aran

Questions of this type have probably been asked hundreds of times before, but here goes:

Code:
begintalkscript;variables;begintalknode 1;	state = -1;	condition = 1;	nextstate = 1;	question="Mister Spoiler";	personality = 3;	action = INTRO;	text1 = "The man looks up.";	text2 = "_Hi._";	text5 = "Hey again.";
The creature who this node should be attached to has personality #3. The above code is inside the proper filename ({town}dlg.txt).

However, upon entering the scenario, I find that the creature "seems not to want to talk" - apparently, this node can't be found.

What am I missing here?

Edit: [/code], not [/condition]. So in a way, I found the problem: I'm tired as hell. But what the concrete issue is, I haven't found out.

Quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:
You have to set the creature's third memory cell to whatever talk node their conversation starts with. So in this case, memory cell 3 should be 1.

Dikiyoba.
Ouch. I knew I was missing something regarding the creature::node assignment, since the manual said the "personality" attribute was cosmetic.

In other news, I'm extremely glad Jeff did not create PHP.

But this also solves my problem of needing two entry points for this guy, depending on an SDF. I'll just change the memory cell value.

Wait... that's possible, right?

The docs say that personality is purely cosmetic, but actually it does serve a purpose. In windows BoA (my version at least) intro texts depend on the character's personality. So every character who uses an intro needs to have it's own personality (even different towns can't have the same one.) Apparently this isn't an issue on Macs, but you still should set personalitys so that windows players don't have this problem (Or at least so I don't have this problem. laugh )

Quote:
Originally written by The Gators Win it All....... Again:
The docs say that personality is purely cosmetic, but actually it does serve a purpose. In windows BoA (my version at least) intro texts depend on the character's personality. So every character who uses an intro needs to have it's own personality (even different towns can't have the same one.) Apparently this isn't an issue on Macs, but you still should set personalitys so that windows players don't have this problem (Or at least so I don't have this problem. laugh )
Well, it's still an issue with Macs. But I'm pretty sure that you mean the personality set via the editor. The personality spot in the dialog script itself means nothing.