astring for Windows

Dintiradan

So I finally get around to rewritting my astring Perl script into C. It still needs a little work, so consider this a public beta.

However, Freewebs refuses to let me upload the .zip. Says I can't upload .exe files until I've validated my e-mail, which I've done at least twice.

It'd be great if someone could host it for me while I figure out how to get Freewebs to work (or more likely, study for finals, do finals, then find another free web-hosting service). If someone could give me an e-mail address to send to, that'll be great.

EDIT: Nevermind on the need for hosting. See below.

--------------------

Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion!!!

- Vaarsuvius (OotS #20)

Yep, it's working now. Nevermind about the need for hosting.

Yes, I know the code's ugly and sub-optimal. Once I'm over finals, I'll rewrite it so that file I/O is done character by character instead of line by line. Probably quicker, and then I'll be able to do things like convert between underscores and quotes. The only reason I did it line by line was because I had a similar project for school.

Heh. Odd, I finish astring for Windows on a day that Khoth's active on the boards.

EDIT: I don't know if it's AOL, SpidWeb, UBB, or Freewebs, but when I just click on the link I a second SpidWeb window. Right-clicking and saving the target seems to work.

EDIT: A 'bug', of sorts. Only use astring on files that were created on a Windows machine. It only works on files that mark newlines as carriage returns and line feeds. When I tried astring on VoDT yesterday, I got a bunch of errors, since the lines in any file created on a Mac end only with a carriage return.

There's absolutely nothing I can do about this until I rewrite the program to take in input character by character.

--------------------

Ta da!

Figures, I didn't mention once what the bloody program does in the above posts. Sorry.

Supposedly, someone (Khoth, I think) made a program for Macs that would extract all the strings out of your scripts and place them into a file. You could then run that file through a word processor to check for spelling mistakes, etc. Then, you can use the program to re-insert the strings back into the original scripts.

My program does that, but for Windows instead of Macs (although it could be ported with ease by changing one line of the source code).

--------------------

Wow, that is such a stupid idea, I feel dumber just hearing it.

- Roy (OotS #26)

Tried a couple of times (right-click, save as...) nope! This file just cannot be downloaded. frown I can however get onto your site: http://www.freewebs.com/dintiradan/ , see alot of text files but no astring.zip file listed.

Perhaps in a day or rwo, I'll check back and try again.

James

Sorry, I view my Freewebs as more of a file server than a website.

I've updated the index page and placed a link to astring. Just click on the WWW icon above my post. It works for me, so I can't help you any further (I can download this link by either left-clicking or right-clicking->save as). If that doesn't work, I can't help you.

In all likelihood, I will not make my site pretty until I have something useful to host (i.e. a scenario).

--------------------

The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offence.

- Edsger W. Dijkstra