2 icon high terrains on hills?

Xoid

Was there a reason that Jeff used the custom graphics method for trees on hills in DwtD? The documentation says something about floors needing to be a certain shape and such, but is this a hard and fast rule, or just generally a good idea?

I thought I'd try to do something similar, without requiring custom graphics. Essentially: hills as floors, + trees as terrain with the correct special property enabled. Might not even be necessary to do that.

I have not had time to test any of this junk extensively, this is a proof of concept more than anything else. It seems to work in Issac's 3D Editor though.

Code:
EDIT: the code is irrelevant now.

I was fairly certain that it would crash the game when actually in BoA proper. It did. However, it is curious how the 3D editor let it work at all though. Unless someone does know the rumoured method of a three icon terrain, having the taller trees on a hill is little more than a pipe dream.

It doesn't work, because Jeff made the assumption that all floors will be contained by the correct rombus, and so his code may draw the floor tiles in any arbitrary order. With the terrain icons, which are supposed to overlap, he had to make the code be careful about the order of drawing, but with floors he didn't need to. So, if you put in a floor icon that extend outside of its rombus, other tiles may be drawn over the parts that stick out, and this is exactly what happens. Actually, the game just ignores it, htough it looks terrible.