Suggestion for scenario design contest.

This is a suggestion for a fast scenario design contest. The contest is to create a very short scenario over a weeks time. It should consist of.

1) A town.

2) An outdoor area with at least two encounters.

3) An original two level structure-- it cannot be a "dungeon" in the original sense of the word, but could be a ghost town, haunted mansion, gremlin still, wizards lab, etc.

4) There must be at least one new monster and one new item.

Just a thought.

Alright. Here is a bit more fleshed out contest set up. This is the first time I would be doing this.

This is short scenario design contest. You have two weeks to submit your scenario by August 15, 2004. We will have one week to judge the entries.

There are two winners.

1) Best overall scenario design.

2) Most original scenario ideas and execution.

The parameters for the scenario are:

1) One town with between 4-12 structures.

2) One outdoor section with at least two encounters and three types of terrain.

3) One original structure wizards lab, gremlin still, bandit fortress, border outpost, volcano, etc. This cannot be a traditional dungeon. There should be be no more than two levels.

4) At least one new monster and one new item. The item should be something usable by the characters.

cool

Questions:

a) What do you refer to with "structures"?

B) What's a gremlin "still"?

c) "One original structure wizards lab, gremlin still, bandit fortress, border outpost, volcano, etc." What all of these?

d) Only one town, which is already taken up by the dungeon? Wouldn't that be two towns, or with a 2-level dungeon three towns?

Scripting doesn't seem to be a requirement, so I'll get right on it. :p

1) It would be one traditional town with 4-12 buildings in it.

2) An outdoor section with two encounters.

3) Another structure which can be entered separately from the town with two levels. This should be an original dungeon idea, not a cookie cutter dungeon. Some examples might be a gremlin still-- gremlins have take over the local brewery outside of the town and are brewing gremlin wine and have stolen the local grape harvest and set fire to a couple of homes. Wizards Tower-- a local wizard has gone mad, has been making monsters, and they have been escaping into the countryside. Border Outpost-- the empire has run into a small potentially hostile kingdom on another continent, they have built a small colony. They want you to raid the kingdoms border outpost, kill everyone inside and get maps of the kingdom.

I see a lot of subjectivity on the original dungeon part. What is a 'cookie cutter' dungeon to one person is completely different to another. For instance, someone who has played a lot of BoE scenarios would see a Wizard Tower as very cliched and unoriginal. I'd say leave the originality up to the judges and not as part of the entrance criteria.

I volunteer to judge. I just judged the Lyceum's Shark contest, so I have a bit of experience.

Before a whole slew of n00bs volunteer, bear in mind that judging is difficult and thankless, and it gives you no benefits: the scenarios will presumably be publicly available at the same time as the judges get them.

I've told Kelandon about the judges forum. Am still looking for one-two more judges.

Some thoughts on the challenges in the scenario.

1) The outdoor section will have to be either surrounded by high walls or possibly water then blackness. I think water might add an interesting effect to the outdoor section.

2) I think that you may have to use the Louvre for pictures of some of the new items or creatures. http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/b/x/bxb11/boa/louvre/

3) There is going to have to be a transition between levels for the two level structure.

These are a few thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Here goes. There seems to be some problems with the submission process. This is especially true with beta testing. Kelandon has written an article on what to do when testing a scenario. However, there seem to be some problems before you the beta process is started.

1) Lack of an effective email to send and receive messages. Do not use hotmail it looks like spam. Norton antivirus sometimes blocks sending messages to multiple recipients with hotmail and other free emails.

Yahoo email is fairly reliable for sending and receiving email if you want to create an account just for betatesting.

2) Do not expect that all of your betatesters will actually do betatesting. Assume at least one will not follow through. Waiting for everyone to send in reports sometimes doesn't work.

3) Factor in the time after beta- testing to fix the bugs which people spot. The person who sends out the beta test early can both fix the bugs and create scenario updates v. 1.1, v. 1.2, etc. before a contest is finished. This is true of Emerald Mountain.

4) Try and finish the beta before it is sent out. Incomplete scenarios are frustrating.

5) Assume it will take longer to create a small scenario than you planned. It took 6 days for Emerald Mountain to reach beta. It took 7 days for Edge of Ciprius to reach beta. Real life interrupts all the time. It will take at least 2 days to receive reports for a small scenario, then another 2 to fix problems. For a really fast experienced scenario designer it takes 10 days to do a small scenario. For others 14+ days.

These are some thoughts.

Quote:
Originally written by ButteredToast:
Here goes. There seems to be some problems with the submission process. This is especially true with beta testing. Kelandon has written an article on what to do when testing a scenario...
No, no he didn't.

Quote:
5) Assume it will take longer to create a small scenario than you planned. It took 6 days for Emerald Mountain to reach beta. It took 7 days for Edge of Ciprius to reach beta. Real life interrupts all the time. It will take at least 2 days to receive reports for a small scenario, then another 2 to fix problems. For a really fast experienced scenario designer it takes 10 days to do a small scenario. For others 14+ days.
1) EM took 5 days. Karzoth's scenario still hasn't reached beta.
2) 10 days for a really fast and experienced designer? You mean I don't count?

And I most definitely don't agree with some of the additions you're proposing, even among those I can understand. (Language barrier between grade levels is inhibiting my cognizance here- apologies.)

Oops. Sorry about that. I should have said Terrors Martyr. I was a little bit tired when I posted this.

I was saying ten days because.

It took 5 days to finish the scenario-- then it took another couple of days for the beta test-- 2 days I think to receive the comments and then another 1-2 days to finish updating the fixes for the scenario so 9-10 days to have it ready to be posted. Then there was talk about doing a next version-- 1.1, 1.2, etc. I was looking at the whole process to complete a scenario and submit it for publication in the spiderweb scenarios section.

I think that it might be good for someone more experienced than me like Kelandon, Terrors Martyr, Eldiran, or someone else to give some hints on how to do betatesting and updates for scenarios if you are the designer. The point at which the scenario is finished and it sent up for beta.

Go over some of the mistakes or hints to make the process easy for someone doing their first scenario. It may be helpful for the regular upcoming Spiderweb scenario contest.

I received an entry today from Erik Westra -- Death at Chapman's in the morning. So far there are two scenarios that are definitely part of the contest Death at Chapman's and Emerald Mountain. I am hoping that Edge of Cipirus and (Xerch'de-- Johnny Zolohani's scenario) will be entered. I think that I may allow enough time for these to be finished and entered. Please give me feedback on what you think. Is this enough to have a complete contest? I am not sure about adding any new entries.

Just to clarify:

Quote:
I received an entry today from Erik Westra -- Death at Chapman's in the morning.
The scenario is actually called "Death at Chapman's" -- there's no "in the morning" in the title.

Question: should I wait until after the competition has closed and judging is complete before letting others have a go at my scenario, or should I announce it now? It makes no difference either way as far as the competition goes (since it closes today), but I don't want to announce it if that'd annoy the competition judge(s)...

Thanks,

- Erik.

PS: I deliberately didn't ask for beta testers, as I didn't think that'd be allowable for a competition entry. Hopefully there aren't too many bugs in it!

In about an hour, the limit time is over (in my country. A few more hours over there).

I guess tomorrow would be ok to announce your scenario, Erik. And it would be nice if you could let me know, to announce (and host) it in my site too: webmaster@boa-center.cjb.net .

edit: already noticed that your scenario is online. I'll announce it.

Hi Overwhelming,

In about an hour, the limit time is over (in my country. A few more hours over there).

Actually, I'm in New Zealand, so the competition closed over here yesterday :rolleyes:

I guess tomorrow would be ok to announce your scenario, Erik.

Righto, thanks -- so long as ButteredToast is okay with it, I'll post a message to the main BoA forum tomorrow, then.

And it would be nice if you could let me know, to announce (and host) it in my site too

I see you've already done that -- thanks! Oh, and I think I still owe you a reply to a message you sent out to my old E-Mail address about the BoA Editor Cookbook. You're more than welcome to host a copy of the Cookbook there, and to include a link to it from your site -- just do whatever you think is best. Sorry -- I've changed to using gmail, and I haven't been checking my old E-Mail address all that often.

Cheers,

- Erik.

Just did some followup with posters who said they were interested in starting dungeons for contest. Should have done this about three days before contest ended. Going to leave idents alone. One said started scenario designing for contest-- had outline, start of town, and beginning of structure. Also reading through the posts, both here and on The Blades of Avernum got a couple comments about not having scripting ability yet. Another two are holding off on scenario development until later. Haven't heard back about adding other two scenarios in development Edge of Ciprius or Xerch'De.

Looking at the timing involved, I realize now that initially didn't factor in betatesting and programing together. Should have run 4 weeks to allow for new programmers.

This leaves Emerald Mountain and "Death at Chapman's" as the two entered scenarios. Both are excellent scenarios. We are running through them to get a feel for the scenarios right now.

Just a note. Both Terrors Martyr and Erik Westra are excellent scripters. Terrors Martyr wrote the first scenario for Blades of Avernum and Erik Westra wrote the Blades of Avernum Editor Cookbook.

BT: I will not send in Xerch'de, for one reason: It only meets half of the requirements. I might make an outdoors, but I don't exactly get what you mean by 'encounter'. Also, I don't have an original item, and I don't think I have any original monsters.

(Also of note, if you can't spell Jonnie, spell Jonah—sorry, it just bugs me. Blame TGM! He's to blame!)

• 2 weeks later...