Orb of thralni

Thralni

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always glad to help somebody out.

A few posts ago, I asked about the cutscene, if anybody could take a look at it, to see if its indeed good what I did. I think I can check this actually myself though, but a look of the expert is always advisable (I think).

The teleportation problem, I'm using at the moment Kelandon's manner, but if better will be posted, I maibe will try those also. (Sorry Drakey, but you's was a bit more complicated, and I want it as simple as poosible, as I don't always understand the code's, but do want them to understand, so I prefer simpler ones. Sorry). So if somebody has an other solution, please post (I think I asked this for the third time now... I wouldn't ask it any more, but keep posting.)

Adios! smile

Quote:
Originally written by Thralni:
The teleport part call should be in a place where the party normally can't get right? like solid stone or something, behind a wall? if yes, does it matter if its out of town boundries? (because what space alse there is to be chosen from in a cave?)
It just has to be out of the party's current line of sight. I was trying to remember if teleport_party refreshes the screen, but surely it must, so unfortunately, Drakey's method is probably better (unless you can actually put them in an area of pure black, which still might look weird). Unless, of course, you've tried it and it works.

Code:
 i = 29;//29 is the highest char number in the townwhile (char_ok(i)){i = i + 1 }put_straight_zap(56,42,9,38,4);put_boom_on_space(9,38,2,0);place_monster(9,38,138,0);set_character_facing(i,4);set_character_pose(i,0);run_animation_sound(54);force_instant_terrain_redraw(); 
This is kind of an odd way of doing this. First of all, I don't think it will work. The call place_monster always places a create with a number of a summoned creature (even if you set the monster to be a normal creature), which is to say it starts with 86 and counts up. Probably better to do it this way:
Code:
 i = 119;while (char_ok(i)){i = i - 1 }put_straight_zap(56,42,9,38,4);place_monster(9,38,138,0);put_boom_on_char(i,2,0);set_character_facing(i,4);run_animation_sound(54); 
Count backwards rather than counting forwards. Might as well use put_boom_on_char rather than put_boom_on_space. The call run_animation_sound already refreshes the screen, so you don't need force_instant_terrain_redraw, and the character will already be at pose 0, so you don't need set_character_pose unless you're changing that.

In general, finding a character number of a placed monster kind of sucks. It's probably much easier to use an invisible monster, in which case that whole thing shortens to:
Code:
 active_hidden_group(1); // assuming the invisibility group is 1put_straight_zap(56,42,9,38,4);put_boom_on_char(30,2,0); // assuming the char number is 30run_animation_sound(54); 
You can just set it to be facing south already, so at that point, you could omit the set_character_facing call. This is probably much easier and much safer than trying to figure out the number of a place_monster creature.

I've still time to reply, I'm leaving in two hours, so enough time for a quick word.

First BBEdit. Its indeed a better and clearer program. For everyone who does scripting on the Mac, I recommend it.

Second the creature cutscnene stuff. I supose you know what you're talking about. So what I understand from the teleportation call, you first see black, and then you are teleported? (If so, I'lle maybe will use drakey's method. That is, if there are no better ones posted).

Thanks though, for everyone who has posted until now. I do hope there will be more suggestions for the teleportation, so I can see how people do it.

What do you think of this? I made it myself, but I don't know if its good or not.

beginstate 11;

reset_dialog();

add_dialog_str(0, "The portal in front of you makes a sort of low humming noise and radiates energy to all sides.", 0);

add_dialog_str(1, "Enter it?", 0);

reset_dialog_preset_options(3);

run_dialog(0);

if (choice == 2) {

if (char_ok(1));

put_effect_on_char(1,6,1,0);

if (char_ok(2));

put_effect_on_char(2,6,1,0);

if (char_ok(3));

put_effect_on_char(3,6,1,0);

if (char_ok(4));

put_effect_on_char(4,6,1,0);

run_animation();

run_animation_sound(10);

move_to_new_town(2,6,24);

end();

}

break;

So, is this a good way of doing it (will it work!?)

You have to set the variable "choice" to the value of run_dialog. The "end" call is unnecessary. The call run_animation should not be followed immediately by run_animation_sound. And do NOT put semi-colons after "if" lines. Also, start counting character numbers with zero, not one. If you use reset_dialog_preset_options, don't use it after you set up the dialog.

Also, I'm assuming that there are no joined characters at this point.

Do it like this:

Code:
 reset_dialog_preset_options(3);choice = run_dialog(1);if (choice == 2) {      if (char_ok(0))            put_effect_on_char(0,6,1,0);      if (char_ok(1))            put_effect_on_char(1,6,1,0);      if (char_ok(2))            put_effect_on_char(2,6,1,0);      if (char_ok(3))            put_effect_on_char(3,6,1,0);      run_animation_sound(10);      move_to_new_town(2,6,24);      } 
This will work better. But above all, I highly recommend that you TRY OUT WHAT YOU SCRIPT to see if it works. Test everything, especially when you're starting out.

Thanks. I'll try that (as son as I register, what will be in three weeks, I think).

*snif*...*snif*...I...I have to say...goodby. Saying goodby is not easy. *snif*. I'll be back in three weeks, and then we could dance the Salsa!!!....

Yeah. Right. OK, we won't dance the Salsa.

Almost forgot to say this, but in the call I made myself which is written above, the characters are joined in one group, as you alway travel while not in combat mode. Saying this, will it still work? (and I can't test at the moment).

See you in three weeks (This is the fourth time I say goodby. Should say goodby once and for all and just not post anumore). frown (but vacation is fun, So: laughlaughlaugh )

The problem I see with this is that I'm not sure that the effects will go simultaneously - I think that they'll go one-by-one, and it will look a little silly.

With mine, if the view changes strangely (ie BoA follows the character that's relocated), I'd change it to this:

Code:
short i;i = 0;	while (i < party_size())	{		if (char_ok(i)) {			put_boom_on_char(i,2,short random_shift);			relocate_character(i,short x,short y); } //make this off-screen		i = i + 1;	}move_to_new_town(town,x2,y2);
I'm sure Kelandon could tell you better if a forced terrain redraw is needed, or whether or not the forced view should occur at some other point in the code. He's more experienced with cutscenes than I am.

Quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:
The problem I see with this is that I'm not sure that the effects will go simultaneously - I think that they'll go one-by-one, and it will look a little silly.
No. The call run_animation_sound simultaneously runs all of the animations that have previously been set up. And BoA does not follow the character that's relocated.

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Hey, Drakey, doesn't your method still need char_ok() checks, just in case the party has some weird configuration like having PCs only in slots 2 and 4?
Generally, having a weird party configuration like that will break advanced effects in a number of scenarios (Bahssikava definitely, a few others probably, too). But yes.

It's worth accounting for contingencies. After all, even if the player doesn't deliberately go in with a bizarre party, sometimes characters die, and some players actually leave them dead until they can get them resurrected instead of reloading.

Drakefyre: that code will malfunction, cause Unhandled Exceptions on Windows, and create weird graphical errors on a Mac. Definitely do not do it that way.

I don't know why you want to force the view onto the teleporting character anyway. That seems like it would look really odd.

Sadly, not even then. Using the party size for the while call just doesn't work. If there are characters in the first and fourth slots, but the second and third slots are blank, then the party size is 2, so the script will try to put booms on chars 0 and 1, even though 1 isn't there to begin with, and it'll miss char 3. This is what Thuryl was pointing out before. Just check up to char 5 (to account for joined NPCs).

Also, you need to run that animation once you've set it up, or else you risk killing BoA entirely. And that will update the screen, so you can't just put it at the end, because that will move the characters off-screen at the same time as the animation runs, meaning you won't see it. Therefore, you have to do one of two things: put the run_animation_sound in the middle of the while and therefore run the animation separately for each character (which would look odd), or split the while as I've done below.

Addditionally, you probably need a pause after the force_instant_terrain_redraw, because that's what teleport_party does. Without the pause, it will happen so fast that you won't notice that the characters got moved off-screen.

Code:
short i;i = 0;while (i < 6) {     if (char_ok(i))          put_boom_on_char(i,2,0);     i = i + 1;     }run_animation_sound(10);i = 0;while (i < 6) {     relocate_character(i,short x,short y); } //make this off-screen     i = i + 1;     }force_instant_terrain_redraw();pause(5);move_to_new_town(2,6,24);
Fortunately you don't have to check whether the character is alive before using relocate_character on it, because if the character is dead, then you won't see anything and the call won't give you an error.

I'm in America now, and until now, I had a great vacation laugh . I found time yo look at the forum. smile

Thanks everyone who posted a reply. So my home made version will work? (at leat after some modifications that Kelandon suggested).

In any way, keep posting! and I'll maybe see you again ina week or so, when I'm in Chicago. Otherwise, I'lle see you back in two weeks. smile

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I'm now in the vicinity of Washincgton DC, and I thought I'll stop by to freshen up the topic.

I came up with some new questions:

1) When I want to make a wall higher, I change the wall height in the town details screen. The strange thing is though, that when the game makes an higher wall, it copies everything standing on the ground. So what you get is a wall that has to doors or two windows on top of each other. Is there a way to fix this?

2) this is an old question: does anybody still have an other way for teleporting to an other town, that hasn't been posted all ready?

I had more questions, but I can't remember them. maybe tomorrow I will.

I really don't know what the game does with it, as I have the demo version of BoA (I'm going to register the game in less then a week, because I'm home on sunday). I was quite amazed to see it happening, because in Avernum 3, the town walls are very high, but windows of the guarding houses next to the gates don't show up many times on top of each other. its just one time, and the rest is just normal wall.

about the teleporter, I though maybe somebody could give fresh ideas. did somebody for instance use Drakey's method? I didn't, cus of the reason i metioned above. Does it work?

Quote:
Originally written by Thralni:
I really don't know what the game does with it, as I have the demo version of BoA (I'm going to register the game in less then a week, because I'm home on sunday). I was quite amazed to see it happening, because in Avernum 3, the town walls are very high, but windows of the guarding houses next to the gates don't show up many times on top of each other. its just one time, and the rest is just normal wall.
Use a custom terrain. Only works for 2 high walls though. Copy the data from corescendata2, add a second icon and the related data. The problem is you need it for each. So different wall sets...

That really sounds like something I'm not going to do. Wel, height back to 1 then... (but I'll still try to find an other way). Dahak, anyway, thanks. smile

Now I think its time to find a different way to get this topic a live.

Since my scenario will be finished in probably a few months (if I work very, very hard) I thought, what would people like to have in a scenario. Now please note that I already have my scenario almost out into detail on paper, so I'lle probably wouldn't implement much requests, as it will make things complicated, but maybe I could put it in. you never know.

So, if there is anything that you would love to see in a scenario, don't hesitate to ask it here, and maybe you'll see it back in my scenario:"Where the rivers meet."

(This is not a thing for me to really get ideas from, but more a sort of "be nice to the public" sort of thing).

EDIT:

But please don't start requesting things which I can't do. I'm only a beginner designer.

This might need some cleaning up, but this is what I used to make 2-high doors. Can be changed for windows, cracks, or other walls. Just chage the te_which_sheet, and create a altdoor script (same as door script, but you need to add the new terrain numbers)

Code:
//2 High Doorsbegindefineterrain 421;	clear;	te_name = "Door";	te_default_script = "altdoor";	te_which_sheet = 601;	te_ed_which_sheet = 690;	te_cutaway_which_sheet = 601;	te_which_icon = 10;	te_second_icon = 0;	te_cutaway_which_icon = 14;	te_cutaway_second_icon = 19;	te_ed_which_icon = 10;	te_move_block_n = 1;	te_look_block_n = 1;	te_blocks_view_n = 1;	te_draw_on_automap = 1;		te_swap_terrain = 425;	te_can_look_at = 1;	te_icon_offset_x = 18;	te_icon_offset_y = -12;	te_second_icon_offset_x = 18;	te_second_icon_offset_y = -47;begindefineterrain 422;	clear;	te_name = "Door";	te_default_script = "altdoor";	te_which_sheet = 601;	te_ed_which_sheet = 690;	te_cutaway_which_sheet = 601;	te_which_icon = 11;	te_second_icon = 1;	te_ed_which_icon = 11;	te_cutaway_which_icon = 15;	te_cutaway_second_icon = 19;	te_move_block_w = 1;	te_look_block_w = 1;	te_blocks_view_w = 1;	te_draw_on_automap = 1;	te_swap_terrain = 426;	te_can_look_at = 1;	te_icon_offset_x = -18;	te_icon_offset_y = -12;	te_second_icon_offset_x = -18;	te_second_icon_offset_y = -47;begindefineterrain 423;	clear;	te_name = "Door";	te_default_script = "altdoor";	te_which_sheet = 601;	te_ed_which_sheet = 690;	te_cutaway_which_sheet = 601;	te_which_icon = 10;	te_second_icon = 0;	te_ed_which_icon = 12;	te_cutaway_which_icon = 14;	te_cutaway_second_icon = 19;	te_move_block_s = 1;	te_look_block_s = 1;	te_blocks_view_s = 1;	te_draw_on_automap = 1;	te_swap_terrain = 427;	te_can_look_at = 1;	te_second_icon_offset_y = -35;begindefineterrain 424;	clear;	te_name = "Door";	te_default_script = "altdoor";	te_which_sheet = 601;	te_ed_which_sheet = 690;	te_cutaway_which_sheet = 601;	te_which_icon = 11;	te_second_icon = 1;	te_ed_which_icon = 13;	te_cutaway_which_icon = 15;	te_cutaway_second_icon = 19;	te_move_block_e = 1;	te_look_block_e = 1;	te_blocks_view_e = 1;	te_draw_on_automap = 1;	te_swap_terrain = 428;	te_can_look_at = 1;	te_second_icon_offset_y = -35;begindefineterrain 425;	clear;	import = 421;	te_which_icon = 12;	te_ed_which_icon = 14;	te_cutaway_which_icon = 16;	te_full_move_block = 0;	te_full_look_block = 0;	te_swap_terrain = 421;	te_can_look_at = 1;begindefineterrain 426;	clear;	import = 422;	te_which_icon = 13;	te_ed_which_icon = 15;	te_cutaway_which_icon = 17;	te_full_move_block = 0;	te_full_look_block = 0;	te_swap_terrain = 422;	te_can_look_at = 1;begindefineterrain 427;	clear;	import = 16;	te_swap_terrain = 423;begindefineterrain 428;	clear;	import = 17;	te_swap_terrain = 424;

Quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:
I would like to see a scenario that doesn't suck. With lots of interesting dialogue.
The part "that doesn't suck" i really can't give you. What I think is interesting, might bore you enormously. but the dialog part I certainly could give you, but could you be a bit more specific about that? interesting: is that more humour, more questions, better spelling perhaps?

Any other requests?

Yes, please, better spelling! The spelling and grammars in most of the scenarios has been atrocious! There have been times I wished I could bore my eyes out. I have gone through several dialog scripts in several scenarios and edited their grammar and spelling because I could stand it no longer. Proper capitalization would also be a plus.

I have a problem with scripting, again. How can I deduct from the HOLE party with one call xp or hp/sp? Also, in dialogue, is there a way to display one text, when something happens the other text (like a quest), and when that thing (the quest) is over, it returns to the original text (I don't mean DEP_ON_SDF, because that changes only once the texts)?

I had more questions, but I forgot them.

EDIT:

I rememdered one: what exactly is an event? is something you don't notice, or something that displays text? how do I use it?

Use award_party_xp to give xp to all the members of the party. To change sp and hp, you can make the usual calls with 1000 for which_char_or_group. (Group 0 is the party.)

To display dialog more flexibly than DEP_ON_SDF, use add_string and remove_string to show and hide different protions of the text.

An event seems to be something Jeff added to make it easier to make a large number of things in the scenarion depend on something occurring. The only calls that use/affect them are day_event_happened and set_event_happened. Events appear to be only used internally by your scripts, the player does not know if they are being used or not. In fact, as far as I know, no one has bothered to use them in a scenario, since you can do all the same things with SDF's.

Quote:
Originally written by Niemand:
An event seems to be something Jeff added to make it easier to make a large number of things in the scenarion depend on something occurring. The only calls that use/affect them are day_event_happened and set_event_happened. Events appear to be only used internally by your scripts, the player does not know if they are being used or not. In fact, as far as I know, no one has bothered to use them in a scenario, since you can do all the same things with SDF's.
Events are in there for backwards compatibility with BoE, which had events for equally inexplicable reasons.

Quote:
Originally written by Niemand:
To display dialog more flexibly than DEP_ON_SDF, use add_string and remove_string to show and hide different protions of the text.
So do I use the code function i the dialogue node to use this? Maybe could you give an example, because still isn't really clear to me how Is should do this.

About the giving xp, I was afraid i'll have to do it that way. I thought that that was the way, but I thought I'd better ask first.

I think the events I'll simply drop and don't do anything with them, although I gather from what I saw in the editor, that I'll need them when doing something with destroying towns and that sort of things?

Anyway, Thanks for everyone who helped me here. Scripting again is getting easier.

The released scenarios have plenty of examples. Bahssikava, Mad Ambition, Canopy, and a few others have about as much example code as you could possibly want. Here's one, modified from LP:

Code:
     begintalknode 2;     state = 1;     personality = 20;     nextstate = 1;     condition = 1;     question = "We are the ones you sent for. What should we do?";     text1 = "_When you have finished... finished... finished, you can return here._ He pauses. _For your reward._";     text3 = "_Go to Castle Puteum in the northwest and look for Putidus._ The lord twitches.";     code =     if (get_flag(2,1) == 0) // hasn't received mission          remove_string(3);     else          remove_string(1);break; 
You don't need events at all. You can destroy towns without them using the clear_town call.

I've encountered something very strange in the editor. It could be that the game displays it right, but I'll ask it anyway. (By the way, I ordered BoA just now, so hopefully I'll get it tomorow or the day after tomorow). when I switch in the 3Deditor to the view you'll have in the game, the cliffs and mountain walls are usually not heigher then 1. I can't find a way to change this. Is this corrected by the game, or am I doing something wrong.

Okay, you could be talking about a couple of things.

In towns, wall heights are set in the Town Details menu, and this is correctly displayed by the 3D Editor.

In the outdoors, wall heights are automatically 2 and you can't change this, and this is also correctly displayed by the 3D Editor. However, if you want to muck with this a little, you can raised the tile that the wall is on.

I was talking about the outdoors.

So what you say, is to raise the ground? I always saw these huge sort of cliffs in VoDT. I thought these were just walls. So these are cliffs? not walls. Thanks Kelandon, Hopefully I could tet soon when I get my code, so I wouldn't need to bug you with these questions all the time.

HELP!!!

I registered BoA, put in my scenerio, and started it. When I wanted to talk to somebody, the game said: You are trying to talk while no dialogue node is loaded

I did give the creatures a dialogue node. the place to put it in is memory cel 3, right? otherwise that's my own fault.

the other thing is, that I can't get out of town. i pas the town boundaries, but I don't get out of town! Help! I don't understand this. maybe its because i moved the town boundries?

Well, you should have all the dialogue you've written on a separate text file. What I'm trying to say is if your town script is called town1.txt, then you should write all the dialogue for that town on a file called town1dlg.txt

As for the town boundaries. You probably expanded them too much. Decrease the size of the boundaries a little then try again.

the town boundaries are now their original place. Indeed, Now I can get out of town.

The script and so on for the dialogue seems to be right. The is called "t12fort" The dialogue script is called "t12fortdlg." This is right, according to what you say. Still I have the problem i mentioned.

the exact error is: You are trying to talk while no dialogue script is loaded.

An other strange thing. When walking on normal ways I my scenario, you hear the sound of stepping on rubble, not the normal foot step. You only hear the foot step when stepping on a road that lies from north to south.

I've been thinking. maybe this is all caused because of me trying to test a scenario that was written on Widows, on a macintosh?

That's fine with me. In the meantime, I've discovered none of the scripts with the special node work either. I'm alomst certain this has to do with the fact I made the scenario on the Windows and am now trying to play it on a macintosh. I'm going to load it in the macintosh editor version, were i hope it wil restore itself.

EDIT:

I just loaded it in the Macintosh editor, but its still the same in the game. its as if the game doesn't know which script its shoud look for, although I put in the town details window the name of the script it should take. One thing that did work was the script i made for an outdoor section.

There are more problems I don't understand. For example: When you step out of the previuosly mentioned fort, you step out on the place once warrior's grove had been, beause that was the starter town, and I moved it to this fort.

EDIT 2:

In other scenario's I also heard the "stepping on ruble" sound on roads, so I guess that's OK. Its still puzzeling me why this happend with the scipts. i have an older version here of my scenario. I was wondering if i could use it to let the computer recognize the newer .bas file as a BoA editor document. Bacause, you see, the computer seems to see the .bas document as a BBEdit document, after I transfer it from the PC to the Mac. is there a way of changing this? Is there a was to make a new .bas file for this scenario?

I have lots of questions, haven't I.

EDIT 4:

In one of my towns, I noticed the game said there were errors. can anyone look at this bit of code and say what's wrong? the game says there is some unknown code.

Does anybody have a clue? (by the way, the game said "line 16". Does that mean, the 16th line with actual code, or just the 16th line of the document?

EDIT 3:

Yes I know. The EDIT's are becoming really very much.

I'm seeing now, that because of errors, the scripts don't work, and that's the reason for the "people can't tak and special nodes don't work" problem.

So I'm looking at the scripts, and the game is really getting on my nerves. It constantly says that there are lines that are overlong or don't end. Now what I don't understand, is what the problem in the script is. What I do see, is that the problem occurs at every "if" sentence. So where exactly do I put the end(); calls? I only put them if there's nothing else to do and the game knows that he can stop now, right?

Is this all right?

EDIT 5:

The code's weren't necessary anymore, so I removed them.

Quote:
Originally written by Marvin, the paranoid android:
I've discovered none of the scripts with the special node work either. I'm alomst certain this has to do with the fact I made the scenario on the Windows and am now trying to play it on a macintosh.
Everything about scenarios is cross-platform except for the graphics. This cannot be the problem. You have a script error of some kind. This causes the game to stop running script. You need to look for the error in the printed text — it will be in red.

Quote:
When you step out of the previuosly mentioned fort, you step out on the place once warrior's grove had been, beause that was the starter town, and I moved it to this fort.
Go to the Outdoor menu and choose Set Starting Location. Then put the starting location wherever it's supposed to be.

Quote:
Bacause, you see, the computer seems to see the .bas document as a BBEdit document, after I transfer it from the PC to the Mac.
This happens sometimes, but it doesn't matter. As long as the .bas file still has the extension .bas, it should read.

Quote:
In one of my towns, I noticed the game said there were errors. can anyone look at this bit of code and say what's wrong? the game says there is some unknown code.
Whew. You have a lot of errors in your code. A handful of things: in dialogue, all of your text should be "text1" and "text2" and so on. Do NOT separate these with a space, as in "text 1" or "text 2." Do NOT fail to include the number, as in "text."

Overlong or unending strings mean that the strings you've written are longer than 256 characters (including the beginning and ending quotes).

Do NOT use the end call. You don't know how to, and it's rarely useful for beginners. I'm finding it very hard to read your mis-written code and figure out what you're trying to do, but I don't think anything you've done here requires an end call.

If you want more than one thing to happen after an if call, you need to use brackets, like this:
Code:
 if (get_flag(3,1) == 2) {     message_dialog("message","");     set_flag(3,1,3);     }else {     message_dialog("other message","");     set_flag(3,2,1);     }
Also, as a general rule, you need to indent less than you currently are indenting, but this is just to make your scripts readable; the game doesn't care.

THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS

I already figured out there were probably may mistakes. I my confusion after the problems occured, I probably tried to reapair things, with the result I messed it up even more.

about the dialogue things, thanks. I really didn't knew that.

About the end(); calls: at which places should I place them exactly? i don't really understand that. I looked at some scripts for the answer. it didn't do anything but confuse me.

About the problem with the starter town, that's what i did. Should I do it a second time? just to make sure?

About the brackets with "if" sentences: I discovered that about 15 minutes ago, before I read your post.

About the 256 characters, thanks! that I didn't knew to.

You know, kelandon, if it weren't for you, who helped whenever i needed it, my scenario would be SO bad, that it probably didn't even would make it until the testin phase.

THANKS!!!!

If your party isn't starting in the outdoors where you chose the starting location to be, you may have to check and make sure that you actually put the starting location in the right place (or that the party is starting in the right town).

As for "end" calls, they make the game stop reading script and let the player act in order to go to the next turn. This normally happens whenever the game runs out of script to read (i.e. it hits a "break"), but an end makes it happen sooner.

Here's an example:

Code:
 if (get_flag(2,0) != 0)     end();          set_flag(2,0,1);     message_dialog("message",""); 
The first time through, the "if" part isn't true, so the "end" doesn't run. Instead, the flag gets set and the message pops up. The second time this state gets called, the "if" part is true, so the "end" does run, and the state stops entirely. The flag isn't set, and the message doesn't pop up, because the game doesn't even read that. This is an example of a one-time message.

Here's something that does the same thing:

Code:
 if (get_flag(2,0) == 0) {     set_flag(2,0,1);     message_dialog("message","");     } 
The first time through, the "if" part is true, so the flag gets set and the message pops up. The second time, none of this is true, so the game keeps reading to find something to do, but it finds nothing and stops when it comes to the end of the state.

Thanks, Kelandon. I understand it now.

In the meantime, I fixed about everything, i think. I didn't try it as yet, but I will soon.

The script that I showed you, th one that was really badly written? Its not only confusion what made it bad, but also that its the first script I've ever written. I already thought it was bound to have a lot of mistakes.

Quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:

remove screen stretching plz

I'd love to, but I don't know how to.

EDIT:

I also discovered why the party ended up in the wrong place after leaving the starting town: The starting location in the OUTDOORS was wrong. So Kelandon, you were right again.

Thanks