Orb of thralni

Thralni

he,

I'm writing this REALLY COOL and GOOD.... Well, at least I think its REALLY COOL and GOOD!!!

as for my question, does somebody know the item number of the orb of Thralni? I need it for the scenario. The problem is also that I can not find a list of items like these. if there is a way to get into the Avernum 3 scripts, I could possibly get this crucial item number.

your kind and friendly steward on this flight of KLM is.... OK. No more pizza's for me at midnight.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks to all who have replied, I'm very grateful.

(By the way, I'm using this call: move_to_new_town

But it need 4 things after it, like this:

move_to_new_town(Probably town number, a number, a number, a number);

I already figured out that the first number is the town number. I think that two of the other three are probably x and y coordinates. the last number I really don't know. if you ever used this call, could you explain me how to do it?

You know, the editor comes with documentation. You can look up any of the calls in the Appendices.

Quote:
void move_to_new_town(short new_town,short loc_x,short loc_y) - Immediately takes the party out of combat mode and moves them to town new_town, starting at {loc_x,loc,y}. This call will not work when called outdoors.
So as you can see, it only needs 3 arguments, not 4. The first, as you said, is the town number, and the next two are the X and Y coordinates to move the party to.

the ones that have read my questions, can conclude that I'm not a hero in scripting. now i encounter another annoying problem. I searched in the docs and found something about my problem, but I didn't quite get it. My problem: I have this cave, which appears only when a SDF flag is set to 1. I used the call

set_town_visibility(7,1) (Town 7 will be visible). Now i don't know ere to write this call. In the docs this is explained in the chapter about editing towns. So do I put it in the townscript of town 7, or in an other script?

Okay, if you want to hide a town for part of the game and then show it at another point in time, you have to get in the Editor, open up the "Town Details" box, look on the right side, and find "Town is Hidden". Set that to one.

Then, at the point in your scenario where you want the party to learn of the town's existence, put the call, "set_town_visibility(townx,1);", where townx is the town the party discovers.

just wanted to say thanks to kelandon...

and bug you with another question. I try to put beam projectors. how do I get those things on directly when the party enters the twon where the beam projectors are (so how does the power source automaticaly switch on upon enetring town) and how can the party manually turn the beam projectors of.

Beam projectors are a problem. I would advise against trying to do anything fancy with them.

That said, turn them on by putting a lit power source (terrain number 384) next to one and going to Town Details, and under Advanced Details, setting Beam Type to 1 or 2.

The beam from a projector will turn off when the power source next to it turns off, which it will never do on its own. You must always use a call to do this. You could put the specobj script on it and then pop up a dialog asking if the party wanted to turn of the projector, and if so, call a set_terrain to change the terrain to 388, for instance.

I have looked in the docs. i searched the forum. Still, I can't find a way, to put a costum item in the resource file "terrain graphics." Now I think of it, can I actually modify this resource file? (I hope you can, because I would have no clue of how to let the editor know that I have a costum terrain type I want to put in the scenario). And I really didn't find anything about this in the docs! confused

You're not supposed to modify the game's resources. You need to create a custom graphics file -- check out Section 4 of the editor documentation.

To make custom terrains and items that appear in the game, though, you also need a custom objects script -- check out Chapter 2.2 of the editor documentation.

The best way to learn how to do things you're unsure of is to poke around inside the folders of existing scenarios by other people, and see how they work.

for instance, A Small Rebellion uses the file name stealth (stealth.bas, stealth.txt, and stealthdata.txt) for the important files.

your scenario has the same thing, you need that file ending in data.txt since it has all those custom dealies you want. actually you create them and place them in there since otherwise they can't exist. like thuryl says, check out one of them to see how it's done.

*this message funded by loki, but the check turned into a bill*

Okay, so the terrain and custom creatures that i have made, are being recognized bij the editor. Now there is this strange problem: When I put a custom creature in my scenario, it doesn't give a good picture of it, like the other standard creatures. You partly see the creature. Sometimes you also see the separation lines betwee two creature graphics. I have checked that the graphics aren't to big. They are the same size as the custom greature graphics of Valley of dying things. Does anybody know how to solve this?

(I can't show a picture of it. I hope anybody understands the problem)

I set the cr_small_or_large_template to 0, that didn't make any difference. When i changed the custom creatures graphic number to a standard graphic number (for example 1500), it was normal.

So this didn't really help. I hope its not a problem with the graphics, because I worked hard on them.

A second time a compared the the creature graphics made by Jeff, and my own, and they really match exactly, so that really can't be the problem

This is what I was looking for:

Quote:
I think I can answer this one. Some graphics programs (AppleWorks/ClarisWorks, for example) can set the PICT's bounding rectangle in a weird way when the graphic is copied out of the application. This can cause this behavior.

To fix it, in your graphics program, shift the icon so it is at the far upper left corner before you copy-paste it into the resource file. (In other words, move it to it's as far up and left as it can go without shifting off the edge.)

- Jeff

see: Unwanted lines in custom graphics

If all else fails, try using GraphicConverter for final preparation of your graphics instead of whatever program you used. I've used it for a long time and experienced no problems with borders.

It may also be that the resource editor you're using to make the graphics sheets BoA-compatible is the source of the problem; I've experienced weirdness with ResEdit on occasion. Try ResFool instead.

I tried almost all the advices. I used graphicconverter, but really didn't get how to use it. I tried using resfool, but it only works on Mac Os X, and I have Mac Os 9.2.2. I tried shifting the graphics to the upper left corner, but then the legs of the creature didn't show up in the editor. I don't have any other program then appleworks. I will try finding an other program. Maybe someone can sugest a good (free) program? I will also try to understand graphicconverter. Any way, thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally written by Thralni:
I tried shifting the graphics to the upper left corner, but then the legs of the creature didn't show up in the editor.
Did you check to see if they show up correctly in the game? Sometimes the game and the editor treat graphics differently, and after all it's how they look in the game that matters.

Incidentally, are you using the 3D Editor?

YEEEESSSSSSS!!!! I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!

I'm sorry. Just got overexcited. It was actually really simple what I did. i just copy/pasted it in an other way. Instead of copying with the grapic's border square a hole lot of white, I put the rectangle with which you select thing ON the border rectangles. THEN I copied it and pasted it. now it came fine in the editor! So for everyone who has this problem, do what I did (I'm so happy that I wouldn't have to change programs or so, that I can almost scream of hapines!)

I do want to thank everyone who cared to post replies. thanks very much!

This is probably a really stupid and unnecesarry question, but what the hel do I care? I'm no trying to convert the graphics I made, so they work on windows. The problem is, I already don't have a clue how to get windows to recognize them, as I made them with appleworks. If someone can give me or give a link to a step by step tutorial or something, that will be great.

What exactly are you trying to do? I think all you have to do is convert your graphics to BMP files (and I think you can do this just by choosing "Save As..." in Appleworks), but I'm not clear on exactly what you're doing.

Oh wait, was that "no" a "now"? Then yes, you need to convert them to BMPs.

What I'm trying to do, is now I'm probably going to work with the remake version of the editor, I also want windows to recognize the graphics I made. So di I only need to convert the graphics to BMP format, and then make an other CMG file with the new BMP formatted graphics with resedit, or do I have to use a comletely other program then resedit?

So you made the graphics on a Mac but want to use the Windows editor? All you have to do is convert the graphics to BMP format and get them over to that PC.

Seriously, just download a couple of PC scenarios and look at their graphics if you're having trouble understanding what you need to do. Those bunches of BMPs are the custom graphics.

OK, I did that, they are on the PC. Now, how do I get them in the cmg file of the scenario? The game wouldn't recognice just some lose files, would it.

This question is just to bug you Kelandon, but, if you come from America, shouldn't you be in bed now?

(what a irritating question this is!) I'm living in The Netherlands, so its about 10 am.

EDIT:

I have loked at other scenario's and understand what you mean. Thanks for the advice. (By the way, you don't have to answer that question above!) :p

There's nothing about a cmg file of a scenario on a PC. Put them in the scenario folder and title them the way that you title custom graphics on a PC (G500, G501, etc).

EDIT: Same time. Yeah.

And it's summer, and the weekly West Wing Marathon on Bravo is more than enough reason to stay up to 2 am. :p

Windows scenarios don't have a .cmg file. They do indeed just use a bunch of loose BMP files in the scenario folder. Just make sure they have the right file names, as set out in Section 4.1 of the documentation.

EDIT: Kel got in before me. Oh well. It's just as good for my post count anyway.

So I thought I new how to do it. I made bmp files, named them G... (and on the spots 3 numbers like 500, 501, 502 and 503) But I still get an error it couldn't find the graphics. I put them in the main folder of my scenario, error. I put them in the data folder, error. I really don't understand anymore what to do! Help!

Thralni, are you trying to play a Mac scenario on a PC? I don't know, but you may have to adapt more than just graphics to make that work.

If you have a PC version and just trouble with your graphics, mail me the whole thing. I've done custom graphs for PC before.

mailto:fritze@leukefeld.com

Quote:
Originally written by ef:
Thralni, are you trying to play a Mac scenario on a PC? I don't know, but you may have to adapt more than just graphics to make that work.
No, you don't. BoA scenarios are completely cross-platform except the graphics.

And the graphics belong in the scenario folder, with the scripts and the bas file. Make sure that the number is the same as the resource ID in the old cmg file (so if it was resource 512 in the cmg file, make sure it's G512.bmp in the new folder). Just do what the other BoA scenarios do.

I'm exactly doing what the others do. The graphics have the same number as in resource ID they once had. I have put them in the scenario folder, that sits in the BoA data folder. The program itself sits in the BoA data folder, were it belongs. The names of the graphics are G(number).bmp. The exact eror description: "BoA was unable to find or load graphic 503." After this an other error comes up: BoA editor just failed to load this graphic: sheet 503, icon 3. The editor might have run out of memory, but, more likely, the grphic wasn't there" (or something like that). maybe this will help more then the other descriptions I gave. If nothing helps, I mail everyhting to ef.