Betatesters for 3D Blades of Avernum Editor!

Isaac

You could make that one button not disappear somehow... although I have no concept of how hard that would be to do. I for one would not object to a random button still being there in outdoor mode.

EDIT: And, as you probably noticed, in a topic here, Jeff said that Spiderweb will put up a "utilities for BoA" section beside the scenarios. He implied that it would contain the 3D Editor. So it looks like it will be available on Spiderweb itself, which is far better than I could do.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could solve the lack of buttons the way I did, by having a button to switch between the new functions and a bunch of rarely used buttons.

I would be interested in merging your editor with the things I've been doing - we've been changing different things so there wouldn't be overlap in new functions.

Unfortunately, doing wall drawing in 3D would take extra, somewhat complex code, so they wouldn't be entirely compatible without effort. Also, I think your Get X,Y Location used the same button as my turn 3D on/off. But neither of those is a big problem.

Jeff responded to my e-mail. Among other things, he said, "I'll try to remember to send you a sample of tinting code." We can only hope...

If he doesn't remember, e-mail him again. And again. And keep prodding him until he does remember. That's the primary way to get things done around here. (I'm guessing you know this already, but just in case.)

EDIT: It would be really awesome if you could get icon adjustment to work in the 3D Editor. Really, really awesome.

Quote:
Originally written by Isaac:
Quote:
Originally written by Dahak:
The editor does not show floors that have been adjusted using fl_floor_height_pixels
You misunderstand the effect (maybe). From the BoA Editor Docs: "The number of pixels up graphics and creatures drawn on this space are shifted." The floor itself isn't affected (I assume). Actually, I didn't realize such a thing existed, so I'll have to test in the game and fix the 3D Editor anyway.
It actually does shift the actual floor icon up. This is a bug, however. I reported it to him when I noticed it and he said he would investigate it.

Quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:
Quote:
Quote:
The editor does not show floors that have been adjusted using fl_floor_height_pixels
You misunderstand the effect (maybe). From the BoA Editor Docs: "The number of pixels up graphics and creatures drawn on this space are shifted." The floor itself isn't affected (I assume). Actually, I didn't realize such a thing existed, so I'll have to test in the game and fix the 3D Editor anyway.
It actually does shift the actual floor icon up. This is a bug, however. I reported it to him when I noticed it and he said he would investigate it.
Nooooooo. I like having the floor drawn up or downward. It creates some nifty illusions that I use. I can put floors at different heights, but look as if they are the same height. This is very nice.

Well, It was compiled with "XCode." . . . . I have what is known as a "9.1 OS mac", and so therefore it won't work it just says it was damadged or unusable by my computer. I don't know what "Xcode" is, but is there possibly an equivalent writing program that would allow it to be in a format that a mac of lesser power, say one OS 9.1 could use.

. . . . I swear if you build this program for me i will make a couple . . . . possibly even several, or even a few scenarios. I just hate those 2D squares so much . . . Coding isn't so bad, its all just words . . . . its drawing those terrain squares that takes forever. The concept of this 3D program is great btw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:
Quote:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally written by Dahak:
<strong>The editor does not show floors that have been adjusted using fl_floor_height_pixels
Nooooooo. I like having the floor drawn up or downward. It creates some nifty illusions that I use. I can put floors at different heights, but look as if they are the same height. This is very nice.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, you're correct, and the latest version accounts for that.

Quote:
Originally written by Cho Dan:
Well, It was compiled with "XCode." . . . . I have what is known as a "9.1 OS mac", and so therefore it won't work it just says it was damadged or unusable by my computer. I don't know what "Xcode" is, but is there possibly an equivalent writing program that would allow it to be in a format that a mac of lesser power, say one OS 9.1 could use.

. . . . I swear if you build this program for me i will make a couple . . . . possibly even several, or even a few scenarios. I just hate those 2D squares so much . . . Coding isn't so bad, its all just words . . . . its drawing those terrain squares that takes forever. The concept of this 3D program is great btw
Being compiled in Xcode should not in itself be a problem, but I had to change the code some to get it to compile in Xcode, which is probably why it doesn't work for you when the standard editor does.

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
If he doesn't remember, e-mail him again. And again. And keep prodding him until he does remember. That's the primary way to get things done around here. (I'm guessing you know this already, but just in case.)

EDIT: It would be really awesome if you could get icon adjustment to work in the 3D Editor. Really, really awesome.
I've received a sample of the code, yay! I'll look at it tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally written by Cho Dan:
Shame about it not working on anything but OSX. Maybe want to make a note of that on your download site, save people the trouble. Maybe I'll get a better mac one of these days.
Ok, I'll do that.
EDIT: Done.

Yes, but it'll only work if you have a Mac ROM image and a copy of MacOS.

The Mac ROM image (and most likely MacOS) are amazingly illegal to own if you don't actually have a Mac.

Why not just poke him til he makes it for Windows?

As an emulator of MacOS, I know that there was PearPC, however, I think that one of the creators passed away and most of the project was shut down. You can still get a download of it, but I would tell you that the emulation is rather slow, so if you attempt to use it, be ready to wait. You can download the emulator here:

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/

The task of course, would be to find the ROM for MacOS 10.3, but if your really looking for it, it's out there. Unfortunately, this post is more informative than a surefire method to emulate, use at your own risk.

A friend of mine has expressed interest in porting it, but he's unsure whether he's skilled enough at programming. Also, I'm still working on the Mac version. 0.10 will be ready soon (without tinting, unfortunately, but I'll be working on that after I finish 0.10).

I have finished version 0.10b1! There is a new mode, which I call "realistic mode". It displays it just like in the game, as if you had a character in the center of the view. You access it using the same button (with a different picture) as the 2D zoom in/out button. Or, press OPTION-TAB (which also works in 2D to use the zoom in/out button).

I finally worked out how to display those little bits of walls in the corner of two walls (it was very difficult). Let me know if you see anything wrong with it.

Moving around the display should be significantly faster now (I think).

And many minor bug fixes.

As usual, download it from the link in my signature (or the one at the beginning of this thread - they both go to the same place).

Oh, and if you haven't already, take a look at my "Links" page to find my favorite free games.

Allow me to repeat myself: WOW.

YOU ADDED LINE OF SIGHT YOU ARE A GOD IF I WERE FEMALE I WOULD WANT TO HAVE YOUR CHILDREN

EDIT: Oh, um, I thought of something. It would be nice if monsters showed the same rectangles around them that tell whether they're hostile or friendly or hidden or whatever as they do in 2D mode.

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
EDIT: Oh, um, I thought of something. It would be nice if monsters showed the same rectangles around them that tell whether they're hostile or friendly or hidden or whatever as they do in 2D mode.
Ok, I'll put this on my list of things to probably do in the next version. I'll have to test how it looks, but I think I can do it.

EDIT: I had an idea! I could outline them with that color (like in BoA there's a blue outline around the active character in combat).

• 2 weeks later...

Version 0.11. Tinting, lighting in realistic mode, creatures outlined with a color showing their attitude and hidden class. You can scroll all the way to the edge, in 2D or 3D. If you try to scroll off the edge in outdoors, you will switch sectors, with a "do you save" dialog if you've modified the current outdoor sector.

Quote:
Originally written by Eldiran:
HOLY CRAPOLA!

So... freaking... awesome!

THANK YOU!
times two

EDIT: Oops! I guess I spoke too soon! After loading up my CoNR in the new editor, I'm finding that in 3D town mode there's a blotch of purple next to each monster. Realistic mode replaces everything with grey, green, and purple blotches.

This is at least how it works on my computer. I'm using Mac OS X 10.3.3.

EDIT2: I spoke too soon again. After more testing I found that that's how it works when not in the recommended Thousands of Colors. I had usually ran as is, which was Millions of Colors. It works when I use thousands, though.

There is an occasional bug that when you scroll from an outdoor section to another outdoor section the game will bring up the "Do you want to save before loading the next section (or something like that)" and ask for open/cancel/save. No matter what option you choose, the game will suddenly quit (but still save).

Strange. Do you know what you were doing, or any details that might help me? Does a dialog come up saying "The application has unexpectedly quit"? If so, can you get me the stack trace from the Console? Has this ever happened to you when doing a lot of editing and switching outdoor sector without this feature? Does it only happen in a particular scenario? What sort of properties have the scenarios it happened in have? Outdoor dimensions? Were you also editing the town, or not at all? Did you load a different town? Did you also use the Load outdoor sector from the menu? Are you using other applictions at the same time? (when running at the same time as Blades of Avernum, the only ill affect I noticed was they were both about three times slower, and that happens with the non-3D editor as well) What version of the OS are you using?

Many of these questions are possibly irrelevant, but I need information to help me track this down.

Quote:
Strange. Do you know what you were doing, or any details that might help me? Does a dialog come up saying "The application has unexpectedly quit"? If so, can you get me the stack trace from the Console? Has this ever happened to you when doing a lot of editing and switching outdoor sector without this feature? Does it only happen in a particular scenario? What sort of properties have the scenarios it happened in have? Outdoor dimensions? Were you also editing the town, or not at all? Did you load a different town? Did you also use the Load outdoor sector from the menu? Are you using other applictions at the same time? (when running at the same time as Blades of Avernum, the only ill affect I noticed was they were both about three times slower, and that happens with the non-3D editor as well) What version of the OS are you using?

Many of these questions are possibly irrelevant, but I need information to help me track this down.
System:
10.2.8 (Soon to be 10.3.x)
0.75 GB RAM

Apps:
Finder
3D BoA Editor

Error Messages:
None

Activites:
I was scrolling from outdoor section to outdoor section. Happens if I go N, S, E, or W. Happens whether or not I made a change to the outdoors (I can load, scroll, and crash). Also corrupts the outdoor section it crashes.

Never edited towns.

Happens with 2D editor, or Realistic view.

Using Load Outdoor section does not crash. Only scrolling.

I haven't even managed to reproduce this thing! Do you have a reliable way to get it to happen? Also, does it only happen on certain scenarios? And what do you mean the sector is "corrupted"?

EDIT: Has anyone else had anything like this (crashing when scrolling between outdoor sectors) happen?

Quote:
Originally written by LUEshi:
Quote:
Originally written by Overwhelming:
*sigh* When will someone port it to PC? Unfortunately I know no programming...
I think we'll have to wait *sigh* anyway, I'm getting used to the 2d editor.
Give me to late september(when I have a new computer and some C++ software) and I'll see if I have the know whats to do it. No promises though, just saying im looking into it. (im not to experienced but I have access to alot of help).

Dahak: There's a chance your download was corrupted. I've seen something like it happen once. I suggest you try downloading the editor again.

If that doesn't work, what scenario are you editing that this happens with? If it's not one of the ones that I can get from Spiderweb, can you make it available to me?

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't had much time to work on this since I've been at school. Here's version 0.12. There is a new feature: You can now change the size of the outdoors after creating your scenario! I would suggest making a backup copy of your scenario file first, in case something goes wrong. The saving could go wrong; remember, this is still beta (although if no one finds any bugs, I am prepared to make this version 1.0*). Also, you might accidentally change the scenario in a way you don't like. This version includes some minor fixes to bugs no-one else probably encountered, they were so obscure. One thing of note is now it accounts for walls of heights greater than 1. While investigating that, I found out that type 1 walls outdoors have 2 height. I fixed it so it works in millions of colors again, and removed the warning on startup if you have millions of colors. I also fixed the bug of calculating light given by terrain incorrectly some of the time. I know of no bugs at this time other than possibly Dahak's problem with scrolling between outdoor sectors, which I have little information on, no way to reproduce, and no idea what could be causing it.

*When I make 1.0, should I make another thread about it (3D Editor Version 1.0 released for Mac OS X)? Also, has anyone made any progress on porting it to PC?

Question- is there a way to CHANGE the amount of light that the perspective-party has? (That is, use that unused button to "raise/lower light".) I mean, it'd really be nifty...

Thanks! ^_^

Oh yeah- cliffs on solid stone look really weird, since while the "side" portions aren't drawn, the "middle" line portions are. Also, could you have different halos/outlines for Hidden Hostile A and Hidden Hostile B? (Plus, Hidden Hostile and Hidden Neutral outlines look way too similar. I'd give Hidden Neutral a grey-like color.)

Other than that, I absolutely love the changes.

Quote:
Originally written by SmirfOfDoom:
Uh, please suck my a** ya f***. D*** big-headed bas***d
Uh, Smirf, back off just a tad. That was uncalled for. The question was rather silly (and easily answerable if you had just read the entire thread -- note that he's been releasing new beta versions periodically and using this thread to announce it, as the first public beta was v0.8 and the current one is v0.12).

Quote:
Originally written by Corporeus the Seer:
Question- is there a way to CHANGE the amount of light that the perspective-party has? (That is, use that unused button to "raise/lower light".) I mean, it'd really be nifty...
Thanks! ^_^
No. I figured that if you're playing, you'd always have as much light as you can get. Of course this is not always true, especially outdoors, but how important is it? When outdoors, if you want a view of an area that's not lit up, move around a bit. Indoors, if you want to see how it looks when the party has no light, temporarily switch the lighting to Totally Dark (I know it's a clumsy mechanism). I don't think it's worth implementing (and using up a button).

Quote:
Oh yeah- cliffs on solid stone look really weird, since while the "side" portions aren't drawn, the "middle" line portions are.
Yes, I know they look weird (I'm not sure what you mean specifically though) but I don't think this is important either; I think it's more important to have them look like a bunch of darkness.

Quote:
Also, could you have different halos/outlines for Hidden Hostile A and Hidden Hostile B? (Plus, Hidden Hostile and Hidden Neutral outlines look way too similar. I'd give Hidden Neutral a grey-like color.)
The colors aren't my choice. I took them from how it displays in 2D. However I agree that they can be troublesome (although when are you using hidden creatures of all attitudes anyway?). I'll try to make them more distinct.

Also, I'd like to hear any feedback about the Change Outdoor Size mechanism - if you've tried it and it works or not, even whether you like the interface. However I realize that it is not a feature that would be commonly used, so most of you are probably not using it at all.