Teleport Spell

Ishad Nha

After reading the Wizards & Warriors game manual I was thinking about creating a custom translation of the Create Portal and Teleport spells for use in BoA. It would be cast in a town and used for going to outdoor locations. But I can't find a way to record the x,y part of outdoor coordinates. They are used in calls like out move party.

Teleport spells could be cast in Exit states of towns with the call change outdoor location.

Current solutions are:

(a) to have a hundred odd small towns, you teleport to one of them

(B) have a lot of placed special encounters in each outdoor section, walking into each encounter resets a pair of flags, said flags set the x,y values. Thus the same values would be used for a whole lot of different squares.

(Wizards & Warriors is a David W Bradley game by Activision released back in 2000.)

Couldn't you just have an SDF called when they step onto certain spots outdoors, and allow the portal to teleport to that specific SDF. There'll be a limited number of places the party'll want to teleport to anyways isn't there?

EDIT: Sounds pretty much like b doesn't it?

- Archmagus Micael

There is no built in way to detect the party's outdoor location. I hit this problem a while back, and I developed a solution, but it's incredibly painful. It involved creating a grid of special floors and terrains that allows you to track all of the party's motion outdoors. It furthermore requires correct initialization of the location, since the system can only actually track changes. If you're still interested, I can write it up and put it on the Blades Forge (since it just went public) later today.

I'm afraid I don't understand what the problem is. If you're going from town to outdoors, why do you care what the town's location is outdoors? All you need to know is the destination town's coordinates are. If you're going from outdoors to town the same still applies. When the spell is cast, use out_move_party to bring the party to some blackness-ringed location where there only place to step takes them into the town they've chosen to teleport to. You don't have to know where they're coming from.

Oh, and it might be useful to know that teleporting/relocating the party outside a town's boundaries instantly boots them from that town into the outdoors. So if you used change_outdoor_loc and moved the party out of the town boundaries in the spell's code the party would instantly wind up outdoors. I posted about this at SV, but you don't frequent there.

And Niemand: that sounds like the most convoluted and simultaneously the least worthwhile coding trick I've heard of in quite some time.... I love it!

Quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:
Oh, and it might be useful to know that teleporting/relocating the party outside a town's boundaries instantly boots them from that town into the outdoors. So if you used change_outdoor_loc and moved the party out of the town boundaries in the spell's code the party would instantly wind up outdoors. I posted about this at SV, but you don't frequent there.
That is a useful tidbit. Thanks.

As for Blades Forge, it seems to be available for viewing only (except for the beta testers) - at least, it won't let me register.

Instantly booting a party out of town, that is a law enforcement alternative to making the town hostile. You could also have them banned from re entering until they have atoned for their transgressions. The Init state would have them booted out every time they tried to enter. I have not registered with the SV forum but I did glance over the posts there and read that one.

As for the Teleport spell, what I had in mind was, you are outdoors standing on a particular spot and you cast Create Portal. The next time you cast Teleport you will be teleported to that outdoor spot. For this to work you must be able to record the x,y coordinates of that outdoor spot, the coords inside the given outdoor section. AFAIK there is no way of ever recording those x,y coordinates in a SDF by use of a simple call, unlike the coordinates inside a town. From what I can see the best solution is to use (B). There is a maximum of 30 specials in any outdoor zone, this must be borne in mind. (It seems that in some areas, BoA was simplified way too much, to the point where you have to use convoluted means to do basic things.)

Thus I am not interested in a town's outdoor coordinates, you can have the same town in every last outdoor section.

Niemand's trick would not be useful for me because I use most of the floor and terrain spots that are available.

Edit: the idea definitely works. Currently I can't combine the teleport party call with this, (the call won't work in a scenario script), but it does work when you leave town the normal way.