A new remake

Niemand

Quote:
Originally written by Ishad Nha:
Edit Item Placement Shortcuts in the Scenario menu allows you to decide the percentage chance of each item occurring in a given type of terrain. This is what the Add Random items command in the Town menu actually executes. That is why the latter is so set - piece, the choosing actually takes place elsewhere.
No, it's definitely broken. The problem is that you can SET the percentage in the Placement Shortcuts window, but it just ignores the random chance and treats all items as 100%.

Quote:

A good idea is to shift the Edit Item Placement Shortcuts command to the Town menu, just above the Add Random Items command.
Perhaps, but I believe the reason that Edit Item Placement Shortcuts is in the scenario tab is because the shortcuts apply to all towns. Add Random Item is used in individual towns, Edit Placement applys to all of them. I suppose you could have it in both places....

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone could post a list of the tweaks needed to get the 3D source code to compile that would be handy. The average user of the BoA Editor would not have that knowledge, unless they already knew a lot about programming.

Currently the same list of item shortcuts does apply to all towns. However, if the Editor is being recompiled from scratch it becomes possible to have such a list for every town. If we are redesigning the Editor what we say goes, it is no longer a case of what the original designers decreed. You might need to save the list of shortcuts in a separate (external) save file. Such a file is really only needed by the designer of the scenario anyway. It need not be large, there are currently 10 shortcuts, each of which lists 10 items. 300 or 400 Bytes per town.

Kelandon: I think (and hope!) that you noticed this with an older version. I just checked with the most recent compiled version, and it does undo changes made by the autohills feature. But, if there's some situation in which it doesn't that I haven't found, please do let me know.

Ephesos: I'm in two minds about this. The goal of the undo system as it stands now is to handle all changes in terrains, floors, and heights. I could make it undo other actions, like adding or altering special rectangles, there are two difficulties. The first is technical: it would require significant reworking of the system to make it understand other types of changes. The second is more important, and that is then unclear where the undo system should stop. It just isn't practical to undo some things, like changing the icon shifts on a placed item. There are literally hundreds of unique minor actions like this, and some complicated atomic actions like altering a creature's settings. As it is the limits of the system are clear cut; expanding it to do more things would blur them and potentially make a host of new actions eligible for inclusion.

At this time, I don't want to mess with this. Maybe in a future version I can't add more undo functionality, but at the moment I want to wrap this version up.

Ishad Nha: Hopefully after I get done I will have a version that will compile right. If you personally want a list of fixes now, I can try to put one together, but otherwise I won't bother. Honestly, the average user of the editor is not expected to be recompiling it, as Jeff points out in his comments at the beginning of the main file.

As to the item shortcuts: this doesn't really seem to be in much demand. Since the game has strict limits on the number of items in a town, I at least place even useless scenery items pretty deliberately.

EDIT: I think I got random item placement basically fixed: it no longer tries to place items out of bounds or always with 100% probability. I can now fill Fort Talrus with bread and coins! (These are items 1-4, used as a test. The resulting image amused me.)

I agree on the item placements, it'd be nice for it to at least work, but adding shortcuts for individual towns is probably unnecessary. The reason I would use it would be, say, to add junk items to dressers or perhaps on tables. There really isn't much reason dressers in town X would have significantly different contents than town Y. If there IS a reason, say one is a barracks one a townsfolk's house, you can add extra items by hand.

Oh, and did I mention earlier that a "Make all items contained" feature would be nice? I remember thinking it, but don't know if I said it aloud.

Quote:
Originally written by Niemand:
At this time, I don't want to mess with this. Maybe in a future version I can't add more undo functionality, but at the moment I want to wrap this version up.
Okay, no big problem. I just wasn't sure how complete you wanted the feature to be. It's amazingly helpful as is, so I understand that making it more complex would just be a headache.

Yay for random items getting fixed!