Do you play music when playing Avernum?

Or is it just me?

The games ahve no music, and as a console RPG player, I am always used to music, especially for important battles. So I find some MIDIs to use a boss fight themes when I play the games.

For example, for bosses or major fights in Avernum 1 I used Final Fantasy VI's boss battle theme. For Grah Hoth I used Lufia II's boss theme. for the Royal Spire I used Final Fantasy IV's boss theme. I liked the added excitement the songs added to the fights.

So far my "regular boss theme" for Avernum 2 is the Sinstral fight theme for Lufia 2. I dunno what else I will use yet. I almost used an Overworld theme, but I decided against it.

I listen to very nearly nothing but instrumental music, and I listen to it whenever I'm alone at my computer, so yes, I do listen to music while playing Avernum. That said, I've also played without music and it doesn't in any way change the experience.

—Alorael, who now vaguely remembers that Realmz allowed one to assign one's own music to various situations as well as using the (terrible) defaults. That may be a false memory but it's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally written by Burning Shiv:
—Alorael, who now vaguely remembers that Realmz allowed one to assign one's own music to various situations as well as using the (terrible) defaults. That may be a false memory but it's a good idea.
I had a game like that. It was an RTS, which allowed you to reassign either the default tracks or your own music to certain categories (Peaceful, Combat, etc.). I preferred the in-game music though.

Are you thinking of Total Annihilation, Nioca? The game does let you choose music, but it already has a good selection. Realmz's music quality was about the same as the rest of its quality, which doesn't say much for the composer.

—Alorael, who also just listens to whatever is on iTunes, and his iTunes just plays randomly through everything. On the other hand, there are occasional moments that demand specific music. Dies Irae was made for the GIFTS.

Quote:
Originally written by Come the Rivers:
Are you thinking of Total Annihilation, Nioca? The game does let you choose music, but it already has a good selection.
Wow. You recognized it just from the small description I gave?

At any rate, Total Annihilation does have excellent music. I actually wanted to have some of the music in a format that could be used outside of the game, but couldn't find any sort of soundtrack, or files on the game CD. I know I would play those tracks in both Avernum and Geneforge. cool

I prefer silence while playing games. (Or doing anything else for that matter.) I turn on my PC speakers only if I want to listen to something online, or if I want to hear what sounds a game has. I might have radio in the background if a game is particularly mindless or a radio program particularly good, but it's a distraction, rather than enhancement of playing experience.

I have a rather odd taste in music.

My preference when doing anything on the computer is Spike Jones and His City Slickers, which parodied the big bands of the '40s and '50s.

Another favorite is a vinyl album: "Dr. Fritz Guckenheimer and his Saurkraut Band: Music for Non-Thinkers." The entire recording staff, including the band, while highly inebriated (the bandleader himself consumed 4 liters of lager), recorded this record inside a shop full of expensive glassware.

You might also enjoy Tom Lehrer.

"So if Sunday you're free, why don't you come with me, and we'll poison the pigeons in the park. And maybe we'll do in a squirrel or two as we poison the pigeons in the park. We'll watch them all die with laughter and merriment, except for the ones we take home to experiment..."

-S- is for Super Stupid Songs

Quote:
Originally written by S is for Synergy:
You might also enjoy Tom Lehrer.

"So if Sunday you're free, why don't you come with me, and we'll poison the pigeons in the park. And maybe we'll do in a squirrel or two as we poison the pigeons in the park. We'll watch them all die with laughter and merriment, except for the ones we take home to experiment..."

-S- is for Super Stupid Songs
"When they see us coming, the birdies all try and hide, but they still go for peanuts when coated with cyanide." God I love that song.

I've found that some slower-paced music can actually be quite good for the Avernum outdoors and small caves, though it varies from song to song and where one is in the plot.

--------------------

The Silent Assassin should be flying in from San Diego sometime tonight, if he actually sticks to his itinerary.

Meaning in all likelihood that he'll be arriving from Atlanta sometime late tomorrow morning.

Reading those old posts about Tom Lehrer songs made me think of National Brotherhood Week, which is one of his songs that is not dated at all, and probably never will be.

I let iTunes do its thing as I play Avernum. My most vivid musical connection is listening to "Achilles' Last Stand" and "In My Time of Dying" over and over again while going through the land of the dead in Nethergate. That was freaking amazing.

Nioca: We both try to, or at least the funnier ones; but have only done so for ourselves. I may put an archive in The Library, since you've brought that up.

I myself also tend to keep the player on random.

And since Kel brought up his most vivid memory of random music...

The instant I killed Vahkohs for the for the first (final) time in DwtD, my player brought up the song "Dragostea Din Tei" by O-Zone.

Those familiar with the title should appreciate the sick irony.

--------------------

The Silent Assassin is late, of course.

I think I shall start by turning my cell phone off and unplugging the land lines to see how he attempts to get me to pick him up from the airport...

Quote:
Originally written by Lenar Labs:
The instant I killed Vahkohs for the for the first (final) time in DwtD, my player brought up the song "Dragostea Din Tei" by O-Zone.
Those familiar with the title should appreciate the sick irony.
It's funnier when you remember that O-Zone is from Romania, the home of vampires.

Quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:
Um... thanks. I guess.

Really, I maintain that most music can easily be adapted to dungeon-crawling. In fact, I imagine that some fast techno could even make Undead Valley more interesting...
There are some things that even techno cannot do. :p

Good enough techno that only plays while you play Undead Valley could be an incentive, I suppose, but that would have to be some very impressive techno.

—Alorael, who might do it for some especially good Domenico Scarlatti. Not that Scarlatti is especially suited to dungeon crawls, mind you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ah, but it's so easy to forget that you're reading when it's a song that you really like, or one with really prominent lyrics. I've found that it's not very annoying when playing Avernum, though...

Listening to comedy, though... that's another story. That makes it really difficult to focus on the giant cockroaches without laughing. And it's even worse when you're trying to code stuff in BoA.

By Eph:

Quote:
Listening to comedy, though... that's another story. That makes it really difficult to focus on the giant cockroaches without laughing. And it's even worse when you're trying to code stuff in BoA.
Oddly enough, I enjoy music when I'm coding, but need absolute silence when debugging. Therefore, unless I'm doing something so easy I can get it right on the first try, I don't listen to music.

Speaking of which, is there a version of the BoA 3D Editor that has no sounds? It'd be nice to listen to music during town design.

--------------------

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.

- Brian W. Kernighan

Quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:
Speaking of which, is there a version of the BoA 3D Editor that has no sounds? It'd be nice to listen to music during town design.
I've been asking this for months now, and I've been told there is a version out there with no sounds.

I can't for the life of me find it though.