Anyone else notice the jokes here?

I just found in Avernum 2 behind the shrine of crystals a vahnatai mage named mentos, and in the text when you talk to him it says his friendliness is a "fresh" experience, and he offers you candy that it says makes your mouth tingle. Anyone know of any other odd jokes like that in these games?

There are a number of rainbows in Upper Avernum. I believe either Elspeth or Nancy also has one somewhere.

Malloc and Calloc are functions as well as towns.

Four characters from Trainspotting appear somewhere in Bigail. Shayder, I believe.

One town has characters from Babylon 5. Again, I'm not sure exactly which, but I think it's Golddale.

Krizsan Province and Lt. Mariann Krizsan in A2 are both named after Jeff's wife, of course, and there are rumors that all provinces in A3 are named after women who have been involved in Jeff's life.

The GIFTS (Giant, Intelligent, Friendly, Talking Spiders) are loosely based on Spider, the company mascot tarantula.

The Monastery of Madness and the Generic Dungeon are both obvious jokes.

—Alorael, who is sure there are more. Probably a lot more.

Specifically, this bit of the chat:

Quote:
SpidWeb : Omigod, I'm glad someone asked that. Everywhere I can. Friends. Books. Movies. Place names I get from atlases. The provinces in Exile III are named after women I've been ... ummmmmm .... intimate with. (Does that violate AOL TOS?) (Or just the bounds of good taste?)
From this, some have inferred that whoever Ms Midori was, Jeff doesn't like her very much any more.

Characters called Patsy and Eddy (from the TV series Absolutely Fabulous) appear in Blosk in Avernum 2. In Avernum there's a fort called Saffron (another character from Ab Fab).

Edit: Saffron is also a spice of course, so the latter could be a coincidence. But Patsy and Eddy live next door...

Edit 2: Just noticed the sage in Blosk in E2 is named Saffron too. So that makes 3 characters in the same town.

I think it's probably a coincidence. Most character references are all characters and all in one town. Fort Saffron matches better with Fort Emerald. Both are named after substances that are also colors.

—Alorael, who will now have to go poking around with a resource editor again to find more hidden goodies. And baddies.

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Specifically, this bit of the chat:

Quote:
SpidWeb : Omigod, I'm glad someone asked that. Everywhere I can. Friends. Books. Movies. Place names I get from atlases. The provinces in Exile III are named after women I've been ... ummmmmm .... intimate with. (Does that violate AOL TOS?) (Or just the bounds of good taste?)
From this, some have inferred that whoever Ms Midori was, Jeff doesn't like her very much any more.
Why, what's so awful about Midori Province?

Quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar. You Owe it to the Door.:
Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Why, what's so awful about Midori Province?
Midori was also a lich in Exile 2.

• 1 month later...

Go ahead and slay me for replying to an older topic.

Done? Ok. The isolated hut in A2 (near the Motrax hospital cave) is a safe house for Ethridge and Tori. Sun symbol with a circular rainbow around it adorns the doorway. One bed, if you were curious or slow.

*this message sponsored by melissa and amos?*

I found a really good one, somewhere in Avernum 2, i cant remember i think in south west Avernum.

There is a Woman named Eddy and she has been kicked down into Avernum with her friend Patsy for being too loud or something (anyone seen the show Absolutely Fabulous would understand)

frown **** i just realised that someone else posted this one

• 3 weeks later...

As a local of the Seattle area and a Mac user, I am doubly-pleased having Spiderweb nearby to take some pride and pleasure in. It also gives me some obvious inside scoops of a few more of these naming sources. In Avernum 3: Paulsbo, Port Townshend, and Bremerton are towns on the Olympic Peninsula here in Washington across Puget Sound from Seattle...it takes a ferryboat ride or a long roundabout drive to get to them from here.

And...it's completely eluding my recollection at the moment, but in either Nethergate or one of the Avernums, there is a complete town with residents named after characters in one movie, TV show, or book...and I can't remember for the life of me what that was, but it made me chuckle....anyone remember specifically what I am vaguely recalling here?

My first post here, by the way...just finished the three Avernums and BoA in rapid succession.

Monroe is also the name of a nearby city which houses a large prison.

Quote:
Originally written by Alorael:
Four characters from Trainspotting appear somewhere in Bigail. Shayder, I believe.

One town has characters from Babylon 5. Again, I'm not sure exactly which, but I think it's Golddale.
—Alorael, who thinks you're thinking of Golddale.

Quote:
Originally written by Interior Analog:
It's rather abused by its plague, don't you think?

—Alorael, thinks Monoroe really got the short end of the stick. Gale has golems and zombies who just can't hold their drugs.
GAH! There is no "who"! My world has rotted into an ORANGE!

And is it really necessary to second your own opinion, Alorael? (See the above post if you're confused)

And lastly, thread necro is for ugly people. Even if Salmon already did it.

The signature adds emphasis. Gale has not only the worst of the plagues, which would be bad enough, it also suffers from rampant skribbane addiction. Mon(o)roe is everywhere you don't want to be.

—Alorael, who actually would like to be there, but only long enough to restock.

Quote:
Originally written by synergy67:
As a local of the Seattle area and a Mac user, I am doubly-pleased having Spiderweb nearby to take some pride and pleasure in. It also gives me some obvious inside scoops of a few more of these naming sources. In Avernum 3: Paulsbo, Port Townshend, and Bremerton are towns on the Olympic Peninsula here in Washington across Puget Sound from Seattle...it takes a ferryboat ride or a long roundabout drive to get to them from here.
I played E3 before I ever visited Seattle. When I noticed these towns on a map, my first thought was "Wow, I didn't know Exile was that famous."

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...