Simulacrum!.. what monsters are on your list?

Back in the Exile 3 days, I did h** e*** once to be able to summon a doom gaurd. Sadly I think I accidentally hit one and they just kept on popping up. Soon, I not only was surrounded by a legion of doom gaurds, but I couldn't tell which was hostile and which wasn't. So, I'd assume not allowing people to capture doom guards was for good reason.

What did happen after that unfortunate incident? My computer took forever to do anything and I ended up restarting my computer.

I keep Ur-Basilisks, Null Bugs, and Gazers, but I hardly ever summon either one. They're not necessary. Creatures that are just fighters or casters, not utility creatures, are even more useless. They just steal experience when they kill things.

—Alorael, who doesn't think that guessing which doomguards are hostile and which are copies of the contraband summoning is an important question. Part of the problem is that copies of the creature are set to the default setting, which means the duplicates are all hostile to your party. Only the original will be on your side, and its propensity towards creating an army of enemies hardly makes it a great help.

I've got

-Drake Lord -found him in Southern Valorim(is that spelled right?)

-Agumented Giant -Erikas's Tower

-Orge Mage -From a bunch of them' and sliths near Erika's Tower

-Ur Basilisk -The Anama temple

-Glydden -Warrior Priest from Delis

I had the Alien Slime, not Slime Lord, but I got rid of it hwen I got the giant.

Absouletly sweet ^ ^ . I dont do any of quest ussualy. i just started and almost finished with the slime one because im tryin to get Alien slime (alien lord thing).Ussually i just go around killing towns and summoning foul rats to kill the kittens for me laugh thnx for replying smile . Fefner 0 Loathed , HP:3088 :p

Quote:
-Alorael, who doesn't think that guessing which doomguards are hostile and which are copies of the contraband summoning is an important question. Part of the problem is that copies of the creature are set to the default setting, which means the duplicates are all hostile to your party. Only the original will be on your side, and its propensity towards creating an army of enemies hardly makes it a great help.
Gee... I never knew that. Could be why they kind of... um... turned against me all of a sudden. :rolleyes:

In the Trilogy, I pretty much never used these spells, although they are indispensable in Blades. I think I had a Dervish, a Wizard, and possibly a Gazer or Mung Demon at some point or another. I never found them to be worthwhile to Simulacrum back up, though; on the rare occasions when I felt the need to summon something, I could always use Arcane Summon instead.

Quote:
Originally written by ditech2:
Back in the Exile 3 days, I did h** e*** once to be able to summon a doom gaurd. Sadly I think I accidentally hit one and they just kept on popping up. Soon, I not only was surrounded by a legion of doom gaurds, but I couldn't tell which was hostile and which wasn't. So, I'd assume not allowing people to capture doom guards was for good reason.

What did happen after that unfortunate incident? My computer took forever to do anything and I ended up restarting my computer.
Doomguards are hostile by default so every Doomguard split from the one you summoned should have been hostile.

Well, back in Exile simulclarum was actually useful.

In Avernum, it just got worse and worse.

By the time you get to Avernum 3, I personally thought the spell was next to useless.

Theres no point summoning weak creatures with this spell, and strong creatures not only require large chunks of SP, they dont last long (I havnt played A3 in a long time, but IIRC I stopped using Simulclarum after I realised the creatures I summoned tended to dissappear after 3 rounds. Actually, that was probably A2.), and they have practically no real effect on a given battle (You can just slaughter everything yourself). Plus, unlike Exile, you cant capture the soul of particularly cool creatures (eg dragons), not to mention that the spell is a hostile one, which notches its usefullness down yet another level.

Having said that, I have just checked my save file and I had:

Gazer

Dark Wyrm

Hakaai

Efreet

IIRC I practically never used them, but it seems plenty of other people use them to great effect. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah I agree not the most useful spell, but I reckon its best use is pitting monsters of your choice against each other.

How else could you answer the age old question who would win in a fight between a cat and a dog, or how long a child would last against a drake lord.

By the way I think my list was

guard

darkwurm

crystal soul

kitten

I got Capture Soul and Simulacrum in Ghikra, when I was given the Soul Crystal as a reward. My Mage is Level 9 (this is not my main game, but an unregistered one on another computer), but the two spells are greyed out - even in combat. I thought I'd capture the Alien Slime, but had to kill it instead.

What have I missed?

• 3 weeks later...

well thats new tunes. last couple of times i witnessed a similar action, all hell broke out. however.

the blue demon is a haakai. the one in the tom is (an?) adze-haakai, if i remember correctly.

in case you mean the mung demon, i think its... well i dont know. im not a fan of it. dont ask me why.

@gunshy: watch your tongue.

I've found a cheat site describing the space in the saved game where the captured monsters are stored, and fiddled around with monsters a little... With 9 Erikas, 4 Ur-Basilisk and a Drake Lord, the game can get rather fun for a short time.

Just one advice: Never try it with Doomguards. When they split, the copy is set to default - ie. hostile. I summoned five of them, one of them split and they proceeded to take each other (and my party) apart.

• 2 weeks later...

now i remember something.

back when i was playing the a3 demo (e3 too?), i used to capture that drake lord or whatever hes called whos hiding in a secret lava tunnel in the mountains in sw valorim. i think the entrance was on the north side, a bit east of the mines.

hes quite a killer though and a nice guy. he will ask you for aid twice, i think. if you do so, youll get a reward, but i dont remember what kind of reward.

Quote:
Originally written by Nelo Angelo, The Great Squirrel God:
Anyone else killed Erika yet?
Yuppers. =>

EDIT:To Kel: I just tryed to get Erika and I couldn't. Without haking that is.

Just as a not to everyone, DON'T USE CLOUD OF BLADES ON DOOMGUARDS!!!! I did this and befor I knew it, the room was full of doomguards and they were poring in from outside the roome too. Story made short, I died.

I did all this in A3 just so you know.

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally written by Ferox:
ever heard about a "dead topic-raiser"? well, you have just become one.
i think that cow-thingy you did there was quite cool, but anyway, dont post into a thread thats more than a week old.
... er, why not? i run a forum of my own, and from a moderating and reading standpoint i far prefer it if someone digs up an old topic rather than just posting a new one repeating what's already been discussed. it shows they've made an effort to find the answers rather than just begging for someone to tell them the answer without even bothering to look, for one thing. i'll even merge them together if two threads with the same topic are posted. less redundancy, less clutter, all the answers in one tidy place... not everyone will have something to add to a topic all at the SAME EXACT TIME, after all.

to stay on topic, my list and a question.

in Avernum 3 I am not done yet, but currently have:

-Demon

-Naga

-Ice Drake

- and a lame wraith which i captured to test it out...

and i don't find it useless. sure, in your average random encounter, it is, but not when you are facing a great number of foes, like when you drop the barrier between the giants and Trogo's, or whatever... then again, i can't cast arcane summon yet, so...

my question is, I am facing a Dark Wyrm, and i would like to capture it. i want it to replace the wraith, cus it's useless. but it seems to want to overwrite everything BUT that one >.< is there any trick to getting it to overwrite a specific slot, or is it random, or what?

The general idea, Jill, is that most resurrected topics look like this . That is, someone pointlessly revives a topic while adding nothing new and creates more spam on these already too-taxed boards.

Reviving a topic when you have something genuinely new and relevant to add is fine. It's just that most people don't do that.