naming a character in Avernum

I go for names from claaasical sources- "lead character: names have been alogn the lines of ;

-Odysseus

-Achilles

-Agamemnon

*All from the Trojan War

-Xenophon

-Academus

*two men of Athneian origin, Xenophon is perhaps the most awesoem character in classical greek history

-Tiberius

-Aurelian

*Roman emperors, I dislike Tiberius, he a mediocre emperor, but was good for the provincials, and they loved him as emperor, and didnt rebel- he was a semi-insane pervert though, but hew has a kick-ass name

**Aurelian is my current favorite, followed closelly by Xenophon, Aurelian is also a Roman emperors name, and this case, a truelly noble an dmighty leader of men.

seriously inspiring to me is the names of poets & warrriors... I named my characters Thor, Odin, Freyja & Loki after a jostling of norse mythology. Loki is my nephil, and my slith is Odin. Yet, my all time favourite names are those I got from the poets: Keats, Coleridge, Eliot and Shakespeare.

I'm startin a new game today... how does beowulf & Gawain sound confusedlaugh

I have also used the lord of the rings theme in the past.

However my first party which beat A2 was: Alessan (Slith Warrior), Beriel (human thief/archer), Elske (human mage) and Jaryn (human priest).

Ah the days when I had time to play throught the whole of A2....it is so much better than doing dissertations.

Back in the days of Exile, I used to take inspiration from the PC's graphic ("who does that remind me of?"). Can't do that with Avernum, because they all look pretty much the same. So I have fallen back on themes, such as:

• TV chefs (Delia, Jamie, Prudence, Rick)
  • Russian composers (Borodin, Shostakovich, Mussorgsky, Gubaidalina)
  • colours that double as names (Violet, Coral, Rufus, Ash) or
  • alphabetic progression (Agatha, Bill, Carol, Dave)

Don't read this if you're religious, but...

I like to name my priests Jesus, so I can say things like "Jesus, heal me!" or "they killed Jesus!" (I'm an atheist, what do you expect?) If I have a slith, I like to name him Godzilla, and I often name other people 'Tom Servo' or 'Crow T. Robot' from MST3K!

Quote:
Originally written by Kaos:
Blade, Harlequin, Kaos, Crisis
Inspiration has struck me.
When I start playing BoA (after I've caught on BoE scenarios), I may create a party and name the characters Goatse, Tubgirl, Lemonparty, and Harlequin Fetus.
Or maybe not. But it's an idea.

EDIT: If you don't know what those are, don't go looking for them. Just trust me on this one.

-Smellyfur (nephil)

-Furnace (mage)

-Sharp (fighter)

-Rackhir (archer)

-Asthram

-Xiombarg (female character)

-Satariel (mage)

-Primus (mage)

-Hadax

-Tonfa (slith fighter, originally in a french comics)

-"Smoky", The bard (slith priest)

But sometimes, I just go with some boards members, like Mister A., Dragonfire, Absent.spy... smile

Male characters:

Captain Uglyhead (of course)

Colonel/General Mustard

Durandal

Randalf (usually for a mage character, Haw)

Atticus

Female Characters:

Angela D'eath (Haw Haw)

Shodan

Akila

Sargeant Jackrum

Titania

Other:

Toastmaster

Housemaster

Blinky

Pip

Actually I usually use this set of names for any game in which I get to name my characters/ships/etc.

Quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:
Quote:
Originally written by Kaos:
Blade, Harlequin, Kaos, Crisis
Inspiration has struck me.
When I start playing BoA (after I've caught on BoE scenarios), I may create a party and name the characters Goatse, Tubgirl, Lemonparty, and Harlequin Fetus.
Or maybe not. But it's an idea.

EDIT: If you don't know what those are, don't go looking for them. Just trust me on this one.
You, friend, have allied yourself with the forces of madness and chaos. You name your party members after modern perverse horrors and insane birth defects. Your enemies must literally shudder when they hear the names of your adventurers.

Quote:
Originally written by cfgauss:
Don't read this if you're religious, but...

I like to name my priests Jesus, so I can say things like "Jesus, heal me!" or "they killed Jesus!" (I'm an atheist, what do you expect?) If I have a slith, I like to name him Godzilla, and I often name other people 'Tom Servo' or 'Crow T. Robot' from MST3K!
*snickers* That reminds me of something my friend told me... he said he was playing Halo2 on multiplayer, I think, and one of the people was named Jesus Christ. He turned on the people on his team and on my friend's screen, it said, "Jesus Christ has betrayed you. Press 'X' to eject him from the game." It might not have been 'X', though... I don't remember.

*on topic* I always name my female mage Rhaevyn. I use the graphic of the voluptuous woman with a green dress. The other people are usually random... Mortimer or Morpheus or something like that for a male mage, and Michael for a priest... the leader guy always changes.

Quote:
That reminds me of something my friend told me... he said he was playing Halo2 on multiplayer, I think, and one of the people was named Jesus Christ. He turned on the people on his team and on my friend's screen, it said, "Jesus Christ has betrayed you. Press 'X' to eject him from the game." It might not have been 'X', though... I don't remember.
Lol... reminds me when I named one of my characters Clinton. {sorry fans, if any}

• 5 months later...

I usually play solo (always human if solo), and the name of my solo character is my first name....*wink wink*, starts with a J and ends with a S.

If I play a 4 member slith party:

Leonardo (Slith Male Fighter)

Michaelangelo (Slith Male Mage)

Rafael (Slith Male Fighter)

Donatello (Slith Male Mage)

TMNT theme...

On rare occasions, two nephils and two humans: (2 males and 2 females)

Jeros (Human Male Fighter)

Felix (Nephil Male Fighter)

Veronica (Human Female Mage)

Whiskers (Nephil Female Mage)

Sometimes I use two sliths and two humans: (Also 2 males and 2 females)

Zidane (Human Male Fighter)

Elizardbeth (Slith Female Mage)

Rikku (Human Female Mage)

Lizzanardo (Slith Male Fighter)

Just these three party name combinations and my one solo name, using the two fighters and two magic users format (party) or a fighter/magic combination (solo), which is quite common to use in many RPGs.

Edit: Minor typos and added gender/class descriptions for names.

My current A2 party:

Vern: Human swordfighter

River: Human pole-arm fighter

Maren: Human priest

Sterling: Human mage

In all my four-character parties, the layout is the same, unless I choose to replace the pole-arm fighter with another sword-fighter. I often use different names, but I may keep using the names I listed for future parties. I only ever use humans.

Quote:
Originally written by Constantine:
The other people are usually random... Mortimer or Morpheus.
Ah, I've been immortalised in someones Spidweb game party. Probley not intentionally.

I think my new A3 party will be called:

Michael (Human warrior)
Kieran (Nephil archer/thief)
Conrad (Human Jack of all trades/Priest)
Ak'Shel (Slith Mage)

If you can guess where I got those names from than.... good for you.