Trouble with Berra's clues and Anaximander

I have been having a little trouble with some things in Avernum 3. I have beaten the slime, cockroach, the troglo/giant quest, and golem plags. I've just been having a little trouble with Berra and Anaximander. Anaximander doesn't respond to some things that I KNOW he should respond to (Such as: after you find the hidden Avernum agent in Lorelei, directing you to Berra after you find the rune, and giving you permission to see Erika); and Berra (The guy who is supposed to identify the rune that you find in the slime cave as Erika's) hasn't even had any prompt in his dialogue to analyze the rune. There hasn't been any prompt for the crystal shards from the golem factory.

One thing that may have caused this is that I didn't find the rune in the slime cave until I had beaten the cockroaches (It might have even been after I had solved the troglo/giant quest).

Please help!! I don't know if this has any impact on the end of the game, but I don't want to find out that I screwed up at the very end.

Hmm.. looks like Jeff assumed everyone will do the quests in order.. but I think its still possible to complete the game anyway.

I replayed A3 recently and forgot to ask Anaximander about the earlier group and so I didn't get any exp for finding them and only got exp for ppl found after I asked. Not sure if its intentional but thats just the programming for you.

I don't recall any of the dialogues from Anaximander or Berra you were anticipating. You need a certain level of reputation from completing quests before Erika's guards will allow you to see her. Anaximander can't give you permission. You are supposed to check with Berra after discovering items at the end of quests that may give a clue as to who created the plague you just eliminated, so you can eventually get the fussy wizard in the Bunker to make a weapon appropriate for them. (You can still finish the game without this weapon) I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Actually Ben is right about what should be happening. Reputation doesn't matter if you want to see Erika, you just need to find the rune in the slime pit, show it to Berra and talk to Anaximander to allow you to get past the golems. And to be able to get into the bunker you just need to talk to Sandra who is located in either Lorelei or Sharimik and have her tell you to make Commander Johnson tell you the password.

Anyway as for you Ben I have no idea why none of the clues you are finding are being brought up. I discovered Erikas rune after I defeated the roaches and I still got to get to her. Of course you can use the orb to get past the bridge but you probably knew that.

I just have a question, since you're saying that none of the clues are being brought up has anything different happened in Ghikra in Upper Avernum. If not then yeah the scripts are pretty messed up.

I didn't talk to Berra (didn't realize I was supposed to) until after I'd finished the slimes, roaches, troglos, giants, and golems. That didn't turn out to be a problem, so I know that's not the issue here.

As far as I can tell from the FAQ, you can visit Erika after investigating the New Formello murders, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, all the evidence from Berra is only important to help you figure out who is causing the plagues (you get three choices, and the evidence from the golems provides you with the conclusion), so as long as you've figured it out anyway, the evidence doesn't matter.

And figuring out who is responsible is only important as far as getting one weapon, which you don't need to use in order to finish the game. I didn't use it the first time I beat the game, and it doesn't make it too much harder.

Anyway, nothing you've described sounds like a serious problem. Just keep going.

Getting Berra to analyze evidence is rather counterintuitive. You need to go through dialogue that doesn't have much to do with the evidence before he'll do anything useful.

You get into the Bunker by talking to Commander Johnson, not Anaximander. I don't think there have been any problems with that for anyone else, but the evidence has had problems.

As others have said, though, it's not much of a problem. You only need to get the evidence and the Bunker for one weapon, and it isn't even especially necessary. A few haste spells and some running works just as well.

—Alorael, who will add that the Orb of Thralni lets you meet Erika. The golems will still block your way, but the bridge isn't necessary when you can fly.

Well, I wandered around in Upper Avernum for a bit, and two new things happened:

The important Vahnatai (I don't remember his name) let me talk to him about the surface plagues. I told him about the slimes, the cockroaches, and the golems (Nothing came up about the troglos/giants). Even though I had defeated all three, it only let me tell him that I had completed the slime plague.

The second thing that happened was that the golems at Erika's tower let me pass. I guess my reputation got high enough (It's at 60).

I remember that in the character editor, it has the "Set Stuff Done Flag" tool. Would that help me at all? I have no idea how to use it.

EDIT: I did get into the bunker in New Cotra.

I think that Anaximander doesn't respond to certain events that seem significant. Don't expect too much out of him.

Don't muck with the Stuff Done Flags, because no one knows which flags correspond to which events and you can seriously screw up your game with them.

If you got into the Bunker and can see Erika, then it sounds like you're doing fine. Are you having any problems with anything?

I am unsure about Avernum 3 (which I never registered) , however, if it holds to Exile 3 (which I did) then all you need to do is show Berra 3 different clues, and then visit Ghikra. From there you should be able to do that part of the storyline and then go get your weapon that does nothing but help the storyline. I am unsure whether or not you are saying that Berra will not even acknowledge the clues, but, if that is the case then you have found a major bug. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Evidence from the troglo,giant quest is sufficient to suspect the Vahnatai and make the weapon at the bunker, however, the event of the Vanatai abandoning Ghirka may not occur.

But as long as you can get permission to enter footracer, the game should be completable.

Hm... is there such a word as completable?

Not a whole lot. They leave some fun surprises behind for you in the quarter of the city that you couldn't enter before and escape through a tunnel that you can't get through. It makes their guilt stunningly obvious, but you should have figured it out already.

—Alorael, who will give one piece of advice that will help you in your lack of a Bunker weapon. If you get into a fight with Crystal Souls, don't kill them. Running away through a secret door is more helpful.

Well I beat the game. Is there any way to go back and finish all of those quests I never finished and then retire to my home in Lorelei? The only options were to Quit (which I did, and it wasn't what i was hoping for), Restart (I don't want to start a new game), or to Restore (which I'm assuming will take me back to my last saved game). Does anyone know otherwise?

• 1 month later...