what is your group make up?

Qualicide

Quote:
quote:Originally written by Ephesos:
Ah, but arrows don't always work... I can't believe this happens in A4. And they're pathetically weak until you upgrade to something like a blessed longbow. And even then, they still do half the damage that good melee fighters can do.
Arrows may be weak, but razordisks totally rock. I hope they still have them in A4.

Quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:
Especially if you get one of those bows not designed to do much in the way of physical damage, but other kinds of damage.
Just got one of those, actually. I think I'll give it to my priest, who has a nominal training in Bows.

Tyranicus, it just wouldn't be a true Avernum experience without razordisks.

VCH, have fun when you actually start charging at things. Jeff shall smite thee!

There are more of those kinds of bows. You can buy archery training and the Sharpshooter skill. This will give your casters a reasonable hit rate.

Some of those bows are so nasty in their effect that it's tempting to use them in favour of actual physical damage.

Jeff seriously gave power to the archers. There are bows in the game that are just plain SICK!

"Some of those bows are so nasty in their effect that it's tempting to use them in favour of actual physical damage."

Hmm. Acid/poison effect per hit, instead of pure physical?

Can you say if Envenom made a return from the Exile series? That always was a fun spell. Actually, I like poisoned weapons in almost any game

Not all damage is physical, but there are some bows that do things even more fun than different damage.

—Alorael, who will say two things. Poison is nastier than it was in previous Avernums, and killing with poison gives experience now. (Poison also has become the most common cause of character death, but that's subject to playing style.)

Quote:
Originally written by Guava-Flavored Substance:
—Alorael, who will say two things. Poison is nastier than it was in previous Avernums, and killing with poison gives experience now. (Poison also has become the most common cause of character death, but that's subject to playing style.)
I personally find flying gobs of acid to be the leading cause of adventurer mortality in my games. Poison just doesn't do much damage after a few levels... and Mass Curing (as always) takes it all away.

There are some poisons that it can take 3 or 4 castings of mass curing to clear up. And in that time, it is possible to die. You can jack up poison resistance to well over 100% and still take oodles of damage, but thankfully this kind of toxic assault is rare.

Of course, this is why you keep Curing Elixers on hand at all times on all members.

Oh, and I do agree, acid has become a fomidable force, one that requires attention now.

I have never used a curing elixir... nor have I ever used an augmentation potion, healing potion, strength potion, or shielding potion. For the most part, it's only speed and energy potion/elixirs for my party.

It's so much easier to just give your main fighter the priest spell skills to heal himself. Alternatively, you can give your priest some speed potions.

Melee is far from useless, and really, one can still bless-haste-hack most of the time, but there are occasional combats that make things more challenging.

The idea seems to be to force you not to rely on one single strategy for every fight in the entire game. Melee is good, but you'll need to be able to deliver different kinds of damage from time to time.

And come to think of it, I've only used an invulnerability potion, and nothing else. I have loads of them on someone — my fighter, I think — but I've never used them.

• 2 weeks later...