A1:EftP Final Gaunglet's Gate is closed!!!

First of all, thank you for the welcoming. I really enjoyed the first game. Long scripts was scary first, but then im absorbed by the world of avernum. 

I guess, im talking about the atrium which is a strange green field. Iron bars are closed although i have four parts of the password. Also i didnt see a switch on the walls (i always smash “u” button when i was walking, so pretty sure i couldnt miss that.)

2 hours ago, aetuzcu said:

I really enjoyed the first game. Long scripts was scary first, but then im absorbed by the world of avernum. 

You're in for a good time as there are 5 more chapters to the Avernum story.  I'd love to be seeing them for the first time again

13 minutes ago, aetuzcu said:

This where i stuck. There is a switch other side of the bars. But i cannot use it.

Yeah, that's the 'atrium' (you've got a ways to go before you finally get out of there - with several good fights along the way... (evil laughter).  In the picture it looks like there is a hidden switch off to the left of your lead guy, did you push that one?  As Randomizer said, there are a lot of hidden switches in that 'dungeon', especially the first part. 

I'm glad that you know about the 'u' thing (for others who happen to read this 'u' stands for 'use' and when clicked it shows anything in the area that can be 'used' ... such as secret switches...).  About all I can suggest at this point is to go back to the start & keep clicking u to make sure that you didn't miss anything on the way in.  Or even go back to the save right before you went in/before you got started there (you did save there didn't you...?) and start that section over again, you really aren't that far into it.

I played through this for the first time twice a couple months ago. Here would be my suggestions

- Speak with Erika, Aimee, Patrick, and Athron to get the password, which you said you already have.

- Speak to Aydin if you haven't already

- Join the scrimitar

- Have the Silver Circlet (it's in Spire)

- Have the Onyx Scepter

If that doesn't work try killing Sulfras... if you can. I couldn't understand what I needed to do just to get past her (until later), so I ended up killing her and all doors opened. Make sure you backup your save before you go trying crazy stuff. 

2 hours ago, theloathable said:

If that doesn't work try killing Sulfras... if you can. I couldn't understand what I needed to do just to get past her (until later), so I ended up killing her and all doors opened.

He/she is already through Sulfras & is at the Final Gauntlet.  The problem is getting into the atrium & then perhaps deeper into the place...

2 hours ago, theloathable said:

Make sure you backup your save before you go trying crazy stuff. 

Good advice for pretty much every thread here...

First off, it’s great to see several people contributing constructive ideas to what might be happening in aetuzcu’s game!

However, I’m a little concerned that not all of these suggestions directly relate to the problem aetuzcu is experiencing. This could potentially cause a little confusion, both for the discussion right now, and for any users coming across this topic in the future. So I thought it would be a good idea just to step back for a moment, and to take a closer look at aetuzcu’s problem.

aetuzcu is stuck at the very first gate heading into the Final Gauntlet. This is the gate leading into the grassy area near the entrance. This gate should be open when the party enters the dungeon – but, in aetuzcu’s case, it’s closed.

For what it’s worth, there shouldn’t be any trigger connected to this gate, at least when the party first gets there. It’s not controlled by hidden switches, or knowledge of the password, or anything else that the party does. It should simply be open right from the start. The fact that it isn’t means that something odd is happening with aetuzcu’s game.

Your idea is a good one, aetuzcu. If you head back to the Final Gauntlet from an earlier saved game, the gate might be open, and you may be able to proceed. If so, please let us know! It would be good to know if you managed to get through the problem gate just by reloading!

However, if you get back to the Final Gauntlet, and the gate is still closed, there may be things we can do to help you. However, it would be useful to know a few things, just to try and track down what the problem is. So, if you experience this problem again, could you answer the following questions?

1. Is this the first time you’ve entered the Final Gauntlet?
2. Do any text boxes appear when you enter the dungeon, or when you approach the problem gate?
3. Did you see any error messages pop up in the text console? (This is the little text box at the bottom of the game window that lists various actions that take place, such as saving, when you discover locations, when you enter dungeons, etc.)
4. Take a look at your junk bag. Does it look alright, or is inexplicably filled with daggers?
5. Have you noticed any other strange things happening with your game?

Oh, and please don’t kill Sulfras! It’s extremely unlikely that Sulfras is the cause of your problem. Besides, Sulfras is a nice dragon! :)

(Also, TriRodent, here's a small, polite reminder from the moderator team about the forum’s edit function. Unless it's absolutely necessary, please try to avoid making consecutive posts in the same thread, especially when they are posted just minutes apart. This might seem like a small detail, but it really does help make the forums easier to read for everyone. If you post something, and then immediately think of something to add, don’t forget that you can always just edit your original post!)

Edited by Ess-Eschas
Adding some slight clarification.

1 hour ago, Ess-Eschas said:

(Also, TriRodent, here's a small, polite reminder from the moderator team about the forum’s edit function. Unless it's absolutely necessary, please try to avoid making consecutive posts in the same thread, especially when they are posted just minutes apart. This might seem like a small detail, but it really does help make the forums easier to read for everyone. If you post something, and then immediately think of something to add, don’t forget that you can always just edit your original post!)

Yeah but I'm only 11 (well, 10 now...) posts from catching up to you... 😛

(will do in the future - much of my online time is hanging out at a place that doesn't believe in editing so I tend to forget that there are places that have joined the 1990s)

On 12/2/2020 at 12:54 AM, theloathable said:

I played through this for the first time twice a couple months ago. Here would be my suggestions

- Speak with Erika, Aimee, Patrick, and Athron to get the password, which you said you already have.

- Speak to Aydin if you haven't already

- Join the scrimitar

- Have the Silver Circlet (it's in Spire)

- Have the Onyx Scepter

- I spoke with them and i got four parts of the password.

- I've already spoken with him.

- I've already joined the Scimitar.

- I brought Silver Circlet and Onyx Scepter to Sulfras. Alternatively, i killed Sulfras.

In spite of the actions above, gate is still closed.

On 12/2/2020 at 3:04 AM, Ess-Eschas said:

Your idea is a good one, aetuzcu. If you head back to the Final Gauntlet from an earlier saved game, the gate might be open, and you may be able to proceed. If so, please let us know! It would be good to know if you managed to get through the problem gate just by reloading!

However, if you get back to the Final Gauntlet, and the gate is still closed, there may be things we can do to help you. However, it would be useful to know a few things, just to try and track down what the problem is. So, if you experience this problem again, could you answer the following questions?

1. Is this the first time you’ve entered the Final Gauntlet?
2. Do any text boxes appear when you enter the dungeon, or when you approach the problem gate?
3. Did you see any error messages pop up in the text console? (This is the little text box at the bottom of the game window that lists various actions that take place, such as saving, when you discover locations, when you enter dungeons, etc.)
4. Take a look at your junk bag. Does it look alright, or is inexplicably filled with daggers?
5. Have you noticed any other strange things happening with your game?

Oh, and please don’t kill Sulfras! It’s extremely unlikely that Sulfras is the cause of your problem. Besides, Sulfras is a nice dragon! :)

1. I lost the track actually. I guess, I once entered the Final Gauntlet before obtaining the four parts of the password. Nevertheless, if you once go in to road of Final Gauntlet which is occupied with Gazers, you can not go back using Sulfras' place (road is blocked by a wall). So, i got stuck and used my save which is at Sulfras' place.

2. Yes, text boxes appear. I think, it was about description of enviroment and a lost soul (?). So, it was releated to story.

3. Nope, there was not a error message.

4. It looks alright.

5. Everything else seems OK.

Thank you for your help and interest. You guys are great!!!

Edited by aetuzcu

Aetuzcu said at one point:
"Sorry for the low resolution photo. But when i try to take screenshot i just take black screen."
If you play in a window, this problem should not occur. At the bottom of the startup dialog box, check both the 'Play Game in Window' and 'Always Start in this Mode' boxes. Then Quit and restart the game.

Here is a screenshot of the relevant dialog box:

https://www.freewebs.com/ishadnha/StartSettings.png

When you want to take a screenshot, just press Alt+Prt Sc, then paste the image into a graphics program like MS Paint. Save the file under a name of your choosing.

If for some strange reason, you will be taking a lot of screenshots, a freeware program like Greenshot can automate the saving of the files.

Go into the Destination tab of Settings/Preferences, choose the "Save directly (...)" option, then set it up.

Edited by Ishad Nha

aetuzcu, I notice you said you killed "the" Altered Giant.  Normally, the following sequence of events takes place:

1) Kill first Altered Giant

2) Enter grassy area, which is empty

3) Spring trap - gate closes (with you INSIDE), six Altered Giants appear

4) Turn wheel (in hidden passage on north wall) to reopen gate

5) Push button just north of gate to open the next passage

Is there ANY possibility that you entered the grassy area in combat mode?  Perhaps even while fighting the first Altered Giant.

I ask because in your screenshot, there is a giant visible in the grassy area -- but there will not be a giant there until the trap has been sprung.

If you wandered into the grassy area in combat mode, then left before ending combat, that could have caused this.  It's possible that the trap will only trigger at the end of a round of combat, or maybe even when combat is over (probably to avoid having party members end up on different sides of the gate).

Alternately, if you triggered the trap, thought you were stuck, and used a cheat like "exitzone" or "backtostart" to get out, that could also create this predicament.

Or, if you visited the Final Gauntlet earlier in the game, but then used "backtostart" instead of reloading from your save at Sulfras's cave, that could also explain things.

https://homepages.uni-regensburg.de/~mim09509/Avernum/AvernumEscPit/Towns/FinalGauntlet.html

21 hours ago, Ishad Nha said:

If you play in a window, this problem should not occur. At the bottom of the startup dialog box, check both the 'Play Game in Window' and 'Always Start in this Mode' boxes. Then Quit and restart the game.

Ishad Nha, thanks for the tip. Now it works.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:38 AM, aetuzcu said:

1. I lost the track actually. I guess, I once entered the Final Gauntlet before obtaining the four parts of the password. Nevertheless, if you once go in to road of Final Gauntlet which is occupied with Gazers, you can not go back using Sulfras' place (road is blocked by a wall). So, i got stuck and used my save which is at Sulfras' place.

2. Yes, text boxes appear. I think, it was about description of enviroment and a lost soul (?). So, it was releated to story.

3. Nope, there was not a error message.

4. It looks alright.

5. Everything else seems OK.

Guys, i said before everything seems OK but it wasn't. Thanks to Ishad Nha, i took new screenshot. Here it is :  https://i.hizliresim.com/ajQmTz.png

If you check the screenshot you can see there are errors in textbox. (Thanks Ess-Eschas) So, Solution is verifying your steam files. After verifying the files, gate is open now. Thanks everyone for contributing.

Verify Integrity of Game Files
  1. Restart your computer and launch Steam.
  2. From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
  3. Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game files... button.
  4. Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.

Edited by aetuzcu

Fantastic. Good to hear that you found the solution to your problem, aetuzcu! Thank you also for posting clear instructions for the process you used to fix the issue. That may well help other posters who encounter this problem in the future!

If you’re interested as to what was causing the problem, here’s what I think was happening. Each outdoor area and town/dungeon in this game is controlled by an individual code file, which we call a ‘script’. These scripts govern events that take place in these areas, such as monsters spawning, people talking and, crucially for your case, gates opening and closing.

It looks like your script files were corrupted. The game was unable to load them – it was this that produced those little errors in your console. So the game was unable to load the code that would open the gate for you!

Thankfully, Steam has an option of dealing with corrupted files, which is the process you’ve used here. So, now that the integrity of your game files has been secured, your scripts are working again – allowing you to get past the problem gate!

Best of luck for your grand adventure seeking the surface world! And, once you’ve made it through, do consider giving the other Avernum games a try. It's a great series of games. If you liked this one, you’re bound to like the others in the series :)