This or Geneforge series?

Alfaerin

Hello! I'm currently on a SW game binge and trying to decide what to start next. I've played the original Exile games, Nethergate, Avernum 1-6, and most of Avadon. Should I pick up the newest game or dive into the Geneforge series next? I'm more interested in good stories, characters and world-building than gameplay, though that's always a plus. Thank you for any advice!

Yes...

At 'this' particular point in time I'd go with Queen's WIsh.  Jeff/SW is remaking Geneforge 1 with an estimated release date of January (?).  So time to play QW & 'then' go onto the Geneforge series.  Both do a very good job building their own universe/s & the story is rich either way (QW2 is probably the next game after the current one is done.  One difference with that upcoming game compared to all other SW games is that (in theory at this point) you will be continuing with the character/world choices that you made in QW1 - which sounds really cool if he can pull it off).

• 5 months later...
On 11/21/2020 at 11:38 PM, TriRodent said:

One difference with that upcoming game compared to all other SW games is that (in theory at this point) you will be continuing with the character/world choices that you made in QW1 - which sounds really cool if he can pull it off).

Does this mean you will be actually able to transfer your character from QW1 to QW2? I guess I´m keeping my saves somewhere safe then...

(good time to swing by the forums - two minute response time.... (buffs fingernails on chest...))

I have NO knowledge of what Jeff is planning... that said...

I doubt that you'll be importing your characters...only because he would have to make QW2 balanced for 'everyone' importing their characters & that is probably beyond the scope of what he wants to do.  My guess (& it is just that, a guess) is that you 'will' be importing your prince/princess to the new game, but will be essentially starting over again (maybe you'll be more competent in some things than a typical L1 player).  I have a feeling that mom/the Queen will be sending you off to a different part of her kingdom to deal with 'their' local problems.  So the way you played your character (who you supported in the various regions, if you were harsh or a soft touch, etc) will be imported/factored in to how people react to you.  Also the larger strategic issues (who was supported in each region, if you wiped out the Nisse or not, etc) will be factored in.

That would be my guess, but again, I really don't know.  Keep your ending code/s (plural if you played more than once) handy though (I put mine in a text file with a note as to which factions I supported, etc & then saved it into the QW folder).

10 minutes ago, TriRodent said:

My guess (& it is just that, a guess) is that you 'will' be importing your prince/princess to the new game, but will be essentially starting over again

Yeah, so something like the Witcher between-games transfers which were quite disappointing because they had no real input on the newer games. Few dialog mentions and 1 NPC may appear/may not appear in Witcher 3.

Well, as much as interesting this idea looks like I wouldn't go too far to implement it into the game if it takes too much trouble. I could live without that. Would be nice though, I admit.

Based on what I could figure out from the endgame code, it appears that you can transfer what your character did in the game in regard to which sides you picked and your decision regarding what you wanted to do in life. This would be instead of the Geneforge ending where there was what you did and in the next game Jeff would have a canonical ending that had the version of how that game ended.

Transferring a character is too hard for game balance and some games like Wizardry only let you transfer a stripped down version of your previous game character.

Pondering this a bit more...

It might be cool if you could also bring over some/all of your party with you (at the new L1) so that you could have their racial traits from QW1 available too (I'm assuming that you'll be able to pick up some new sidekicks in QW2 with their own traits).  Maybe even racial animosity/pleasantry towards who you brought over with you from some of the new people you meet (like having a slith in your party when you go to Gnass in A2 or the hatred if you have a nephlim up on the surface in A3*).  Time will tell

*that always amused me about A3, that you're this (very pale) party that's supposed to be sneaking around the surface & trying not to be noticed too much ... but you could fill members of your party with races that the Empire is actively trying to eliminate

Character stats/equipment don't seem to affect the ending code you get, so it's probably just transferring your character's history, which may be referenced in the sequel (although I'm not sure how consequential it will be considering you very explicitly are stated to never see Sacramentum again).

I do believe it will be the same character however, just starting at level 1 again. Although with Queen's Wish having strict level scaling, it's not like it would matter if you didn't.