Avernum 2 - can’t get Dispel Barrier level 3

To get Level 3 in any spell in A:CS you need to obtain two levels via training and one level via the book.  The only requirements to read the book as AL 10 which you far exceed and the need to have Magi Clearance to get to it which you appear to have.  Are you sure that you have purchased two levels of Dispel Barrier from one of the trainers (Aimee is the cheapest though the trainer in Fort Emerald is a good choice also)?

Here’s what happened just now.  Confession: I was at level 1 for a long time, let myself get frustrated and used the editor to bump myself up to level 2.   Then earlier today when I when to the Barrier Tower and read the tome, I kept getting level 2.  So I thought, well maybe the program doesn’t acknowledge my “fake” level two, so I’ll go kill Lemoncelli and see what happens when I go back to Heustis.  I finished the quest, went to Heustis, paid him for the teaching, and now I’m level 3. Ha! Thanks for answering again, Edgwyn.

Iirc (been a little while since playing), you can get to L3 in a spell by any combination of learning/training.  In other older games (again iirc) you had to train twice before reading a spell book to get to L3.  Here, as you found out, you can train, read, & then train the final level.

(pontificating not so much to tell you what you already know but for anyone who happens to read this in the future about the learning order...)