Playing The Exile Trilogy?

cicadasoup

I've been playing Spiderweb Software games for years, and decided to try some of Jeffs more less spoken about games, and when trying to obtain the Exile trilogy games for free I couldn't get any of them to run. When I click on the exe file it just says "This app can't run on your PC" I don't know what to do with the file as i'm not given much options. I'm not very tech savy, and play most old school games without modern updated patches, so this really seems out of my realm. Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Please mention your system specifications. Only then we can give some clear results. I am telling this because the exile games don't work properly sometimes on modern system.

And, please leave your sanity at the door or else you'll lose it here.😁

Edited by Warrior Mage

Hello! If you have a 64-bit Windows operating system, you can use the software in this thread: http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/topic/25777-exile-fix-for-x64-windows/ I was shocked by how easy it is to install and use. All you have to do is let the file bypass your firewall, with a few clicks.

Otherwise, as Warrior Mage said, we won't be able to help you without knowing your system specifications.

Welcome! :)

If you are on a recent Apple computer it is harder since the games were written long before OS 10 in OS 9 and Apple no longer has makes  a compatibility mode for Power PC cpu.

So you need an emulator  like DOSBox or to use a converted version of the Windows version which I can't find the topic with the links at the moment.

Edit - Link to Tyranicus site with Intel Apple computer versions to older games made for the Power PC. These may not work on the most recent OS 10 operating system:

https://avernum.nethergate.net/intel/

I have a modern gaming laptop

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz 8GB RAM - 1TB HHD - GTX 1050Ti 4GB

64-bit 

Windows 10 

I tried turning off my Virus detectors along with downloading the inno setup installer, and I was successfully able to download Blades Of Exile, and Exile III. As for Exile II, and Exile Escape From The Pit when I download them I can only run the character editor or Map editor the game application is just a file so I can't access them.  

22 minutes ago, cicadasoup said:

As for Exile II, and Exile Escape From The Pit when I download them I can only run the character editor or Map editor the game application is just a file so I can't access them. 

The window that opens after installation is not the game directory; it's the editor's in the Start Menu. You need to look where you installed the game.

There are three ways to play the Exile Trilogy on a Mac; I recommend using an emulator. You can either download a copy of Windows 3.1 and install it on a DOSBox instance, then run the trilogy there; or you can use Basilisk ][ to emulate an older (System 7) Mac and run the trilogy there. I believe the trilogy can also be run with WINE, but that didn't work very well for me when I tried it (I believe I had a problem with dialogs being blank or something).

Both emulators require a bit of setup to get working, unfortunately. The WINE method is the easiest.

For playing the Exile Trilogy on Windows, both emulator methods will still work, but WINE is not an option. You could try setting the program to run in Windows XP Compatibility mode, but it's probably not going to help, because the Exile Trilogy are 16-bit applications. So you'll have to get either DOSBox or Basilisk ][ and figure out how to set that up (or find an image that someone has already set up for you).