Posted (edited)

While looking for an x64 version of NTVDM in the hopes of running Exile on a Win7 x64 tablet and my Win10 x64 desktop, I came across a utility called OTVDM that enables 16-bit Windows applications to run on a 64-bit machine, and my experience playing Exile with it was utterly flawless, while NTVDM froze constantly.
Anyway, here's a link to the page for OTVDM:
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/otvdm.html
I used the Inno Installer link partway down and other than a false positive from my antivirus, it worked perfectly. Just installed, rebooted, and tested all 4 Exile titles,  all of which ran with no issues. After years of setting up Virtual Machines and dualboots with 32-bit Windows, I can finally play these games natively on a current-gen OS.
Hopefully this helps the community out, I've seen countless threads about playing Exile on x64 systems in my time lurking here, and finally there's a better answer than "Use your old computer or a virtual PC/DOSBox".
EDIT: Forgot to mention, custom resolutions are a godsend in making these games fit nicely on modern resolutions and aspect ratios. Been using 888x500 as a 16:9 res for my tablet to run Exile, https://calculateaspectratio.com/ will help calculating resolutions needed for a nice fit, just choose aspect ratio and type in a height above 480 pixels, and the calculator will do the rest.
Nearly every graphics card, even Intel HD Graphics, has an option for setting up custom resolutions in their control panel software.

Edited by Ivan [Redacted]
Additional helpful information

This works not just for the Exile Trilogy, but also for legacy Blades of Exile. (Not Open Blades of Exile.)

All four games can be downloaded for free if you go to the Games section of the Spiderweb site, scroll down, and click "older games".

Posted (edited)

I think that spiderweb software's release of the BoE source code has proved more than just efficient. ADoS is having good times with this. It's a difficult work, though.

Edited by Warrior Mage

I don't know what that means. I'm saying the open source BoE versions currently distributed do not work properly, but legacy BoE does, using this fix. At least this way players can still enjoy the community-made adventures again. I'm trying to make a new one, in fact, using legacy BoE,

19 hours ago, Ivan [Redacted] said:

While looking for an x64 version of NTVDM in the hopes of running Exile on a Win7 x64 tablet and my Win10 x64 desktop, I came across a utility called OTVDM that enables 16-bit Windows applications to run on a 64-bit machine, and my experience playing Exile with it was utterly flawless,

I was dreaming of that! Thank you! :D

Going to try it.

Side note, anyone trying this out, post your results. While it works fine on both my desktop and tablet, I wouldn't be surprised if some systems have different results.
Knowing what configurations are working fine and if any have issues would help with troubleshooting and checking if this is worth using as a common answer to "How do I play Exile on my new PC?"
I suspect Windows for ARM processors could have issues due to effectively running an emulator within an emulator, but don't have any devices on hand to test with.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Ivan [Redacted] said:

Side note, anyone trying this out, post your results. While it works fine on both my desktop and tablet, I wouldn't be surprised if some systems have different results.

I will.  :)

A fast description of my system:

• Windows 7 SP1 up to date,
  • processors: 8, 2 threads, 4 cores, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz,
  • display: HD Graphics 530 (I don't think the GPU will be used to run Exile),
  • memory: 8 Gb.

Edit: I've managed to install Exile - Escape From the Pit but not where I wanted, it was on C:\ or nowhere. :)

I started the game and, wow, pretty minimum and the dialogue system certainly needs some getting used to. :lol:

Pity I cannot run it full screen... I've chosen a resolution of 928 x 522.

1596204953.jpg

I've found a way to keep the map visible.

1596211899.jpg

Edited by ladyonthemoon

Posted (edited)

My PC is to evolve from Windows XP to Windows 8.1. I have E1 to BoE(legacy) in my hard disk, will it run fine on 8.1?

Edited by Warrior Mage

1 hour ago, Warrior Mage said:

My PC is to evolve from Windows XP to Windows 8.1. I have E1 to BoE(legacy) in my hard disk, will it run fine on 8.1?

OTVDM works fine for me on both 7 and 10, and I believe it says it's 8.1-compatible as well. Can't see any reason it wouldn't work, this is a fix for 64-bit Windows in general rather than any specific version.
Side note, 32-bit versions of post-Vista Windows should work without OTVDM, not that it's necessary when there's a working x64 fix that seems less troublesome than I remember 8's 32-bit version being
By the way, you should get Classic Shell if you're swapping from XP to 8, that way you'll have a Start menu that doesn't feel utterly foreign and isn't made for touchscreens rather than traditional inputs.

On 7/31/2020 at 8:15 AM, The Almighty Doer of Stuff said:

The dialogue system is much nicer in E2 (IIRC), E3, and BoE.

If you mean dialog boxes, that system changed between E2 and E3. E2 dialogs were basic native dialogs, the same as E1.

21 minutes ago, Celtic Minstrel said:

If you mean dialog boxes, that system changed between E2 and E3. E2 dialogs were basic native dialogs, the same as E1.

No, the talking system. It was refined and made nicer. Exile 1 through 3, left to right. E3's is integrated into the main window, replacing the terrain view.

ExileTalking.png