Avernum 2 Crystal Souls Party Build

I recently started this game after finishing A:EFTP and have been looking at guides and party building mechanics. If I am a casual player on Normal difficulty, could I get away with using melee instead of an all mage/priest party? I understand that all spell casters seem to be stronger but would it make a significant difference on Normal difficulty?

I completed the game multiple times on normal with a sword and shield fighter, a pole arm fighter, a mage and a priest.  It was not a problem.  For A:CS there is some goodness in dual wielding and adrenaline rush if I remember correctly, but that wasn't the route that I took.

An all spell casting mage/priest runs into some problems in the final Garzhad fight that I stopped at for torment difficulty since it is a scripted fight that works better with a melee fighter in the party.However I saw I had enough unfinished quest to get another 5 party levels, so someday I might go back and finish them to see how much difference that makes and better equip the party with more consumable items.

An all spellcasting party definitely isn't necessary, even on Torment.  On Normal any sensible party will work fine.

The Garzahd fight goes fine with an all-spellcaster party.

Adrenaline Rush remains OP in A2:CS.  Dual wielding, not so much -- it's OK, but it's truly outclassed by spellcasting.

Jeff/Spiderweb makes it so that you have to pretty much deliberately screw up your party to not be able to finish/survive while on easy or normal settings.  Having a traditional melee meat shield in your party is pretty far from deliberately screwing up.

/although I'd give him at least one level of priest skill so that he can heal/cure if the assorted others' time could better be used dropping serious spells on the monsters that need thumping