Dragonlance / Kang's Regiment Short Story

Ess-Eschas

This is posted a little after the fact, but I recently remembered that there are a few fans of the Dragonlance series on these boards. I thought I’d post this here just in case it was of interest!

A few months ago, I spent some time working on an illustrated piece of fan fiction, a short story set within the world of Dragonlance. This story, ‘Your Turn!’, takes place within the events of one of the canonical books in the series – ‘The Doom Brigade’, the first novel in the Kang’s Regiment series penned by Don Perrin and Margaret Weis. The story fits in to the gaps of that book, looking at some of the characters in the background, and ends up leading in to one of the events described in it.

For those who are unfamiliar with the series, Kang’s Regiment follows a group of draconian military engineers after a war in which their side has cataclysmically lost. Draconians were created to serve the forces of darkness and to act as their soldiers, but what happens when the war is lost? What happens to the surviving draconians in peacetime?

Unlike the books, my story focuses on baaz draconians, the weakest and most common of the species – frequently used as foot soldiers and grunt labour, and often looked down upon by their more powerful cousins.

This story was written relatively early on in the lockdown in my country, and I was surprised to find that the mood and themes of The Doom Brigade meshed rather well with the concerns and worries of a life under quarantine.

The illustration is a relatively simply study of the baaz form, using a number of different sources of inspiration – yes, even the Dragons of Autumn Twilight movie! It was an attempt to build on and improve how I draw anatomy of relatively realistic humanoids. I’m not quite there yet, and there are still a few features that I don’t have a good grasp of, but I’d like to think that I’m slowly learning and improving!

If you interested in this little bit of fan fiction, do take a look:

https://www.deviantart.com/dermuda/art/Your-Turn-837686271