How To Revive Character in Geneforge 4

Hi Spiderweb Software family,

I recently got back to playing Geneforge 4 after not playing it in a couple of years. My character accidentally stepped into an electrical field in the Boiling Caverns and is about to die. I quick-saved the game right before he stepped into it. But whenever I load the quick save, my character just dies. Is there any way I can reverse the quick-save to an earlier point where my character did not step into the electrical field? I think I messed up. I used the cheat code "exitzone" because I thought it would help my character stay alive but it turns out it turned my auto-save into the same disaster! My auto-save also had me stepping into the electrical field as well. I'm playing a warrior and I worked so hard to get to this point. Any ideas on what I can do? Change the script a little bit maybe, or tweak the save file? Thank you everyone! I love this community a lot!

Best,

Andrew

I also saved my game to save slot 1, so I guess I could go back to that file. However, that save file was an hour back and I did so much. I don't want to lose that much progress! I know I sound like I'm whining but I improved my stats quite a bit after that save. I like to quick save, and I hope you understand. Quick saving allows you to save at key moments before tension comes up, like when a rogue fyora walks up to your party. Please help if anyone can. Thanks!

Yay!! I did it! I revived my character. Thanks everyone for your attention! Here's what I did:

I used the cheat code "clearthisarea" while I was in the Boiling Caverns(which was still a hostile area). Then I used another cheat code "exitzone" and I exited to Southforge Citadel. Voila! I'm fully healed and I'm alive! Thank goodness! :)

Best,

AndrewmDU8BH.png

You may want to take a look at my own thread which I shall shamelessly plug.

Repeatedly opening and closing a menu (main menu, inventory, cheat screen, etc.) very quickly resets the timer on basically everything, including traps. In some cases I've found that pylon traps or mines will sometimes still trigger (probably depends somewhat on the system), but spamming escape several times a second generally allows you to walk through mines and pylons unharmed. I've found that it even seems to work to bypass enemies (outside of combat mode), although the map doesn't actually update until you stop doing it so it doesn't work especially well for exploration.

Also, you don't need to clear the zone to use exitzone. All clearthiszone does is allow you to pass through it on the world map.

Hi Vinlie,

That’s so funny! I impulse-quick-save because I feel like that will prevent me from being killed often and will give me the best progress. Not so in Shaila’s cavern, unless you know where everything is in the map already. I don’t know why. I knew there was an electrical field there but one mistake and I walk right into my death. Good thing that I fixed it! Yes, TheKian brought up a good tip in one of his posts. If you spam the escape key while walking through an electric field, you’ll stay alive. However, if you are surrounded by rogues, survival would be very low even if you spammed the escape key to walk through an electric field.